R1 ABS

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Both. Mine was deleted prior to picking up the bike and I know of another expert not using it. I also know of two other experts that still have it. Mostly, it's a weight savings benefit. I have never used my rear brake except in the pits or when I went exploring the countryside by mistake. I once changed a rear tire on a Saturday morning and forgot to depress the rear brake to close up the pads. I found out when I got home on Sunday night when I was unloading the bike that I had no rear brake, almost crashed in my garage! I never used the rear brake for the entire weekend.

All of the factory racers loose the ABS. They are skilled enough to use both brakes independently when they need it. I've never used ABS on a bike and think it's more for the street than the track.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
On the '15+ R1, remember that there are two different functions I think Jim is bringing up.

Linked brakes: Using the front and/or rear control activates different percentages of each. Meaning your front brake lever may actually generate rear brake pressure (at a lower pressure) along with front brake pressure (at a higher pressure).

ABS: The R1 uses the combination of front and rear wheel sensors combined with the accelerometer to modulate the brake pressure - whether it be front or rear brake pressure.

To my knowledge complete elimination of the ABS module (usually combined with something like the FTECU ABS disable plug) and replacement of the brake lines completely eliminates both. Also to be clear, factory riders are required to lose them at least for Superstock/supersport I believe. ABS is legal for Superbike only if it is exactly as delivered OEM (for MotoAmerica). Many car racing organizations prohibit it. Not because it doesn't work - but because it can give a technical advantage so it's prohibited. F1 for example requires "manual control" of brakes. Modern performance oriented ABS over the past few years has proven to be extraordinarily capable - testing at the N'Ring, etc shows that a "good" ABS system lowered lap times with professional drivers.

I'm running my ABS until I feel as though it's getting in my way. Too early to tell. My theory is that guys like Elias or Gerloff may have far better "feel" for the limits of the tires, so they may not want artificial feedback. I may never be as good with that feel as the ABS algorithm, so it's just possible that ABS may keep me off of the ground. Or, it could diminish threshold braking and I could end up running off. Lenny is racing with ABS on his R1. Jim is right in that particularly at our level, it's probably a personal feeling.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Remove it ASAP. :D Last year I disconnected the ABS lines (unit still attached) and replaced them with steel braided lines going directly to the front and rear calipers. Over this winter I had the unit removed, no need to purchase the FT ABS delete plug. After riding the bike for the first time going into turn 1 and hitting my brake marker (hard on the brakes) and the bike is still going was enough to make my decision. Keep in mind what the system was designed to do, it may work great on cars...my personal opinion for race bikes is to remove it. At the end of the day it going to boil down to riders preference.

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
It saved my bacon going into turn 5 at NJMP! I Went off roading and that was the only thing between me and the grass!

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
I converted mine for Track from a new bike. My impression is that the abs is good but it felt a bit vague. As in it hit a peak and the harder I pulled it didn’t seem to apply any additional pressure. So I deleted and I prefer the direct and traditional ss lines and a good set of pads.

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
One of the other reasons is that on the R1 you cant turn off linked braking or UBS. So when you get the rear off the ground under hard breaking, the UBS locks the rear which will activate the ABS....even though it doesn't need to....

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
One of the other reasons is that on the R1 you cant turn off linked braking or UBS. So when you get the rear off the ground under hard breaking, the UBS locks the rear which will activate the ABS....even though it doesn't need to....

That actually does not make logical sense at all. In that case the speed sensors would at most interpret that the rear wheel was sliding and would not activate on the front. You would lose zero brake pressure on the front.

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
Right...but you still feel the modulation in your hand because they are linked....at least that is what folks complain about....I am still rocking my 09....:p

Oh and the bike also knows that the rear is off the ground with the IMU and bleeds down the front slightly to get the rear back onto the ground....so I still think my comment above is not logically wrong....