R6 shock length question

27Ducati

Does anyone know the eyelet to eyelet length of a stock 99-02 yamaha r6 rear shock? I bought my bike with an Ohlins shock on it and I don't have a stock one to reference.

Jtfjrrider

Have a spare OEM shock for a 99 R6. I measure the eye to eye dimension as 13 inches. This is eyelet center to eyelet center. Precise enough?

27Ducati

I just found some hand written notes in the paperwork that I got with the bike and it says stock was 306mm eye-to-eye. That's about 12.04 inches. That's a full inch less than what you measured.... but I'm also not sure if the original owner was measuring from the centers of the eyelets or not. :confused:

Jtfjrrider

Ok. Re-measured center to center dimension as 12 inches. So looks like your notes are good. Wasn't reading the tape measure correctly.

27Ducati

Jtfjrrider;205079 wrote: Ok. Re-measured center to center dimension as 12 inches. So looks like your notes are good. Wasn't reading the tape measure correctly.
Thank you! I'm 3mm shorter than stock right now... wonder if that could explain some of my unusual tire wear? :idea:

Jtfjrrider

Your welcome. As far as your tire wear? I'm new to this track thing.. Maybe someone in the know about these things will speak up?

sobottka

Jtfjrrider;205281 wrote: Your welcome. As far as your tire wear? I'm new to this track thing.. Maybe someone in the know about these things will speak up?
shock length has nothing (as far as i know) to do with tire wear. it primarily effects turning and overall stability.
rear tire wear problems are usually spring/preload or damping related.

mark1200

sobottka;205287 wrote: shock length has nothing (as far as i know) to do with tire wear. it primarily effects turning and overall stability.
rear tire wear problems are usually spring/preload or damping related.
add tire preasure will afect tire wear, to the list as well.