R6 Tire choice...

Greg Blanchard

Want some expert advise on what tires and size for my 07 R6... I was going to get the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SV V2's but was told that the SP's aren't the best for track... Also the bike currently has 180/55/17's. And wanted to go to the 190/55zr17's. Then jihad someone tell me that I should stick with the 180's??? Now I'm confused and want to make the right choice!!
Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

D2R6

"A" - nOOb
Are you looking at tires for street or track?
If going with a Pirelli I would go with the 180/60/17

Opinions will vary on this… my 2cents

Street, I run 180/55/17 Dunlop Q3 or Pirelli 180/60/17 Diablo SP

Track, I run 190/60/17 Dunlop GPA Pro (with warmers)

Greg Blanchard

Good.. And you have an R6 I assume... It have warmers and don't really ride on the street with this particular bike... But in your opinion the 190/60 would be better than a 190/55?? Also I was considering the Supercorsa SC2's.... Would you recommend those and if not why??

D2R6

"A" - nOOb
Yes, I ride a R6. :like: I plan on trying the SC2 next year, only ran GPA Pro's this year.
Don't think Pirelli makes the 190/60/17 like Dunlop,
Pirelli will be the 180/60/17 which is a perfect size for the R6.

I personally have not ran a 190/55/17 because most brands in that size recommend a 6" wide wheel, the R6 has a 5.5" wheel.

Greg Blanchard

Ok... So then my best bet would be to just stay with the 190's?? I currently have the 180/55/17 Dunlap Q2's MT on my bike and they did real good for the 3 track days I have on them but I did lose traction once... Got lucky and didn't high side but still. Plus they are getting pretty low on tread so maybe that's part of it too idk.. I'm going again on the 1st and was going to try and get a new set before I got that's why I'm on here asking all these questions!! Thanks again for all you guys help....

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Are you referring to the slicks or the barley DOT approved Supercorsa SC2's???

Yes I'm referring to the slicks. Supercorsa=DOT Superbike= slick. They last longer than the DOTs but they're essentially the same same tire. Longevity is the only reason I run the slick.

Do your tires even touch the ground when you are "flying"!!! :rofl:
lol

Greg Blanchard

So ended up getting the Diablo Superbike slicks.... 120/70/17 F & 190/55/17 R
F-- SC1
R--SC2
Anyone think that will be a good option???

tdelegram

Control Rider
That's the combo I run most of the year, sc1 is a little softer, and I run roughly 2 rears per one front. That means on the third rear I am also replacing front. Although the fronts still have rubber after 2 rears they tend to loose the oils that make them as sticky when warm, they also stop being as soft. Tires are cheap insurance compared to hard parts.

Try to keep you tires between 60 and 70 degrees in the off season and out of direct sun light to maximize their life.

Regarding tire life on track, since slicks don't have sipes (the cut out components of tread) there's more rubber to grip and wear out so longer tread life. I am fairly certain the SC line slicks and the Dots all are the same carcus and rubber. Hence the longer slick life.