race suit & lap timer

g_debell757

I am staring trackdays this year. I had a nice suit lined up but it did not fit. I'm doing this journey on a budget. With that said I need to be at or under $600 for the suit size 46/56. 44/54 was extremely tight and would not zipper. I have the boots and guantlet gloves. Does anyone have any experience with Sedici corsa or chicane suits?
Also this next subject is not a priority since i'm new, however i'm somewhat of a data guy. I have a "Racebox" gps lap-timer that i use to ride dirtbike trails to keep it interesting. It has good useful data. Is it permitted to have the "Racebox" and or phone on my bike? And what your experience with the racebox? One more thing, I been looking for a "raceday/trackday" log book to keep the days data like weather conditions, track temp, bike set up, etc, etc. Is there anything out there on the market? Thank you all for kind suggestions and advice, It has been very useful. My main concern is learning all i can so i'm safe but also having fun.
I attached a link below for the Racebox Mini. Its cool, it shows laptime, lean angle, you can compare laps.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Also check motorcyclecloseouts.com
Some good deals on Alpinestars and Cortech, which I think are better quality than Sedici, although I've seen them plenty of times at the track, so they aren't horrible.

I'm not familiar with that laptimer, but you're allowed to have them on your bike. Just make sure they are secure. I wouldn't worry much about lap times initially, there are plenty of other things to focus on. It is a good tool to track progress, however.

g_debell757

Some good deals on Alpinestars and Cortech, which I think are better quality than Sedici, although I've seen them plenty of times at the track, so they aren't horrible.

I'm not familiar with that laptimer, but you're allowed to have them on your bike. Just make sure they are secure. I wouldn't worry much about lap times initially, there are plenty of other things to focus on. It is a good tool to track progress

I'm not familiar with that laptimer, but you're allowed to have them on your bike. Just make sure they are secure. I wouldn't worry much about lap times initially, there are plenty of other things to focus on. It is a good tool to track progress, however.
Thank you. My focus is absolutely focused on listening and learning. My first day is probably going to be overwhelming at first. I was just looking for information.

chrisplm

Chris
Welcome!
I've got a spare Alpinestars 46/56 that I've been planning to sell. Its never been down and its well within your budget. If you want, feel free to PM me your number and I can get you Pictures, etc.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
I would steer away from the Cyclegear suits. It's just my anecdotal experience, but I've seen some pretty bad crashes where they didn't hold up. (Zipper bursting, was what I saw.)

STG has some good deals running from time to time.
Currently, you can pick up a RST EVO 4, in your size, for $500.
RST is a known good quality suit.

You're fine using a phone for your data collection, just make sure it's secured and tethered.

Link to STG:

g_debell757

I would steer away from the Cyclegear suits. It's just my anecdotal experience, but I've seen some pretty bad crashes where they didn't hold up. (Zipper bursting, was what I saw.)

STG has some good deals running from time to time.
Currently, you can pick up a RST EVO 4, in your size, for $500.
RST is a known good quality suit.

You're fine using a phone for your data collection, just make sure it's secured and tethered.

Link to STG:
Just ordered a rst evo 4. Thanks. Hopefully the 46/56euro will fit. I tried a set of a-stars 44/54euro and they were tight but no way were they getting zippered.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Just ordered a rst evo 4. Thanks. Hopefully the 46/56euro will fit. I tried a set of a-stars 44/54euro and they were tight but no way were they getting zippered.
Hope it fits you well!
If not, reach out to Brian at STG and he'll guide you in the right direction. They're very helpful over there.

Where will you be riding for your first trackday?

g_debell757

Hope it fits you well!
If not, reach out to Brian at STG and he'll guide you in the right direction. They're very helpful over there.

Where will you be riding for your first trackday?
Njmp lightning. April 30th. Thr track is less than 6 miles from home. I ride dirtbikes acrossed the street sometimes.

I’m going to offer a contrasting perspective.

I’d refrain from using the lap timer for a while, maybe even the whole season.

I think it’s an unnecessary distraction from your priority - learning smooth inputs and the timing of them.

Introducing a lap timer early in the learning process can draw your focus more towards trying to achieve speed than command of inputs.

The faster you go, the more mistakes (eyes not up, abrupt inputs, etc) will be amplified (DAMHIK).

bmart

Control Rider
This converstation is probably moving along faster then the original poster requires. (pun intended)

One knows that they are improving by being able to measure those improvements. Otherwise, they're just guessing. A lap timer is one tool for that. I run it in a place I can't see while I'm riding (when I use it). I practice certain skills, and can see if I picked up any time after. Sometimes it isn't time I'm after, but a safer line, for instance. Track day are training, not race practice, after all.

Go. Have fun. Capture things that you're told by the CRs (notebook, perhaps) as you won't be able to try or even absorb all of them in a day (or ten). Once you get your feet wet and get comfy (some number of whole days) you can start on a simple plan to work on individual skills, a few in a day, not all at once, to build your skills toolkit. There's no better place to do it.

On a related note, back when I started track days, not only did we have to dodge dinosaurs...but timers were illegal to run. :whistle:

McTrackPack

CR #171
Control Rider
I didn’t run a lap timer until I got into A group but I did get an $80 Akaso camera early on to look at tape to see where I messed up to help me improve and also used it for +/-1 sec accuracy on lap times. Two birds with one stone so to speak!

Ditto.
Same with always supporting the trackday photographer by purchasing pictures to see if what you think you're doing, you're actually doing. Great learning tools.
Ba-bam!

Double-dog ditto to that. Photos are, IMO, a great training tool.

Head
Eyes
Shoulders/Chest (zipper) orientation
Inside elbow and outside forearm drape
Hands / wrists
Brake finger(s)
Position in the seat (laterally and fore & aft)
Inside knee / outside knee
Heel
Toe

I can maybe tell what I’m doing with two of the above at any second I’m in the braking zone, tipping in, at the apex or exiting.

But one single photo can reveal all your successful technique with all the above “report cards” and lingering shortfalls with irrefutable clarity.

The photos where Josh Barnett or Raul Jerez catch you with other riders in front or behind provide great comparison, too.