Racing vs track days?

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Follow-up on this thread. Just got back from Nelson Ledges with WERA again this past weekend.

Alex and I raced the Minis again. He won his class (ONLY one entered to be up front about it) but his best lap was 10 seconds faster than when we were there first time in June. That's huge. He's really impressing me. He's leading the North Central points for that class.

I got second in the 80 class...yes, I got my butt waxed by a 9 year old on a 2 stroke, and I'm OK with it. Love riding with the kids.

I also signed up for a couple A Novice races and got 3rd in A HWT Senior SuperBike on Sunday. (Yes, I actually finished ahead of someone.)

Don't over think it, if you want to race...just wire up the bike you have a go at it. The only person stopping yourself is you.

Except for my Ohvale time on Nelson Ledges, I had one 15 minute practice session on the R1 yesterday before I was on the grid wating for the green flag to drop...also to offer full disclosure.

Last edited:

mpusch

Micah
I thought I'd add something here as well. For reference, I've done track days for about 7 years and raced (occasionally) for about 4. At the entry level for racing, it's not much more expensive than a track day. I run a 600 and mid to back of the pack, so my tires last the weekend (or two). If I do three races, it costs a bit more than a track day, but maybe only by $100 or so. I run with WERA, so the transponder is eventually an additional cost, but that's free the first two weekend anyways.

Point is, like everything else in the hobby, you make of it what you want. Can you spend "in-ground pool" money? Sure you can. But if you're just wanting to dip your toes into the water and do the occasional weekend, it's really not that much more. You do get less track time per dollar, but the excitement from racing is well worth it.

I do a few track days and a couple races each year and enjoy them both for what they offer.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
I thought I'd add something here as well. For reference, I've done track days for about 7 years and raced (occasionally) for about 4. At the entry level for racing, it's not much more expensive than a track day. I run a 600 and mid to back of the pack, so my tires last the weekend (or two). If I do three races, it costs a bit more than a track day, but maybe only by $100 or so. I run with WERA, so the transponder is eventually an additional cost, but that's free the first two weekend anyways.

Point is, like everything else in the hobby, you make of it what you want. Can you spend "in-ground pool" money? Sure you can. But if you're just wanting to dip your toes into the water and do the occasional weekend, it's really not that much more. You do get less track time per dollar, but the excitement from racing is well worth it.

I do a few track days and a couple races each year and enjoy them both for what they offer.

Egg Zactly!