Rain Tire Storage

Poper

My question regards rain tires and how to store them when not mounted on rims. Does wrapping them in plastic or garbage bags help at all with moisture retention or guard against dry rot? Or, should they do just fine sitting exposed on a tire rack in the trailer? Thanks for the advice.

Landshark

Control Rider
Poper;191313 wrote: My question regards rain tires and how to store them when not mounted on rims. Does wrapping them in plastic or garbage bags help at all with moisture retention or guard against dry rot? Or, should they do just fine sitting exposed on a tire rack in the trailer? Thanks for the advice.
The first thing is sun. Then temp changes. Lastly moisture. The best place is a cool dry basement or closet. Also lay them flat.

avizpls

#11-A
Landshark;191356 wrote: The best place is a cool dry basement or closet. Also lay them flat.
Thats exact how I have mine stored. Basement....Definitely lay them flat so they dont get a flat spot!

Poper

BigBird;191384 wrote: or just don't ride in the rain ;)
Oh come on! Years ago I convinced myself that I LOVE riding in the rain. Going out and turning smooth laps on the race line almost makes me feel like I still got my monies worth with $200+ trackday fees!

So, lay the rubber on its side in the trailer, eh? That will work.

tittys04

Landshark;191356 wrote: Also lay them flat.
Is that to keep from getting a flat spot? Mine are mounted on rims (aired up) and stand up... but with air in them I can't see them getting a flat spot.

Cooly0

I defiantly believe they could get a flat spot. I am guilty of the same thing though. I rotate them a few times during the winder though.

Really soft stuff, maybe it is less resistant to developing a new impression/flat spot

DUNLOP-RTS

Poper;191313 wrote: My question regards rain tires and how to store them when not mounted on rims. Does wrapping them in plastic or garbage bags help at all with moisture retention or guard against dry rot? Or, should they do just fine sitting exposed on a tire rack in the trailer? Thanks for the advice.
Keep out of the sun.

Keep away from electric motors, like your freezer or refrigerator (electric motors produce ozone which will oxidize the rubber).

Keep away from fertilizers, like your lawn weed and feed or other type chemicals in your garage or storage area. (they also oxidize rubber)

Flat spots are not a big issue. The rubber will flex back out when you get them hot and roll on them.

Poper

DUNLOP-RTS;192783 wrote: Keep out of the sun.

Keep away from electric motors, like your freezer or refrigerator (electric motors produce ozone which will oxidize the rubber).

Keep away from fertilizers, like your lawn weed and feed or other type chemicals in your garage or storage area. (they also oxidize rubber)

Flat spots are not a big issue. The rubber will flex back out when you get them hot and roll on them.
Thanks Steve. I meant to ask you about this over the lunch hour at NJ in May, but I forgot. Great hearing from a professional in the industry at our trackday.