Rain tires

jramsey8258

Looks like there will be some rain this weekend at RA. At what point do I need to look at switching from the 211GPA that came on the bike to rain slicks?

JBZ1k

jramsey8258;279309 wrote: Looks like there will be some rain this weekend at RA. At what point do I need to look at switching from the 211GPA that came on the bike to rain slicks?
Okay....let me help you out. First of all lets leave the R word out of it when talking about upcoming events. Secondly rain tires are an option for people with a second set of rims and can be a bit of a hassle for those of us without. Other members can correct me if I'm wrong but I think once a dry line forms its time to go back to your dry tires or else you will prematurely wear out the rains. So if your thinking about getting some just realize you may be changing tires with the changing weather $$$.
For me, well I just chill until the dry line shows up and then get back out there. I'm not practicing for a race, cleaning it is a bitch, and my bike cost too much to trash. Just my opinion. Good luck.

If it's too wet for slicks, I'm not riding. I won't ride in the rain on the street unless I absolutely have to. Why would I want to ride on a race track in rain??? I have enough trouble keeping the rubber side down when it's dry. I'm not racing for a paycheck. I'm riding for fun. Rain ain't fun. Just my 2 cents.

Ruhe52

Rain rain rain. It is the South ok. In the summer with all the heat and humidity it is a rare day that the forecast does not call for a chance of rain.
It was supposed to pour this past Sat at VIR and those that worried or did not show for it. Well... You guys are suckahs as it was a perfect day. Little hot but hey you want that much control over your climate stay in the house!!!!!
Next Stop ! Road Atlanta !

R1aven

Ruhe52;279399 wrote: Rain rain rain. It is the South ok. In the summer with all the heat and humidity it is a rare day that the forecast does not call for a chance of rain.
It was supposed to pour this past Sat at VIR and those that worried or did not show for it. Well... You guys are suckahs as it was a perfect day. Little hot but hey you want that much control over your climate stay in the house!!!!!
Next Stop ! Road Atlanta !
Very true! The last three events I have gone to had a 40% chance or better of "precipitation" but it rarely showed itself and we had great riding weather aside from late afternoon on Sunday.

andykurz

Unless it is "raining," you don't need rain tires. Riding on a wet / semi wet track is fun and good practice. Usually, the track will be fairly empty. I seem to remember some good posts on this topic by Dunlop or another sponsor, but maybe that was a different board...

JVance

jramsey8258;279309 wrote: Looks like there will be some rain this weekend at RA. At what point do I need to look at switching from the 211GPA that came on the bike to rain slicks?
Rain slicks?

As Ruhe stated we had FABULOUS weather at VIR. Those that canceled or didn't sign up because of the forecast missed a fantastic weekend of riding. Ignore the weather forecast, show up and ride!

I don't care if it's a damn monsoon!!!! I just got the ok from the doc--arm is good!!!! So I'm in for all 3 days!!!!!! Even if the track is "damp" I'll just hang out, eat Cory's Bar B Q, bid on and hopefully win some cool track stuff, get a new T shirt, tell lots of lies about how fast I am, and the list goes on and on...... 3 days and counting people!!!!!! F--k the dumb s--t!!! Let's ride. :D

bboynicku

i learnt the most about being smooth and having good throttle control from riding in the rain. also a CR told me that the feeling of the tire moving in the rain is very similar to what it feel like in the dry when you're reaching the limit of the tires capability...

borislav

Control Rider
griffonrider;279394 wrote: If it's too wet for slicks, I'm not riding. I won't ride in the rain on the street unless I absolutely have to. Why would I want to ride on a race track in rain??? I have enough trouble keeping the rubber side down when it's dry. I'm not racing for a paycheck. I'm riding for fun. Rain ain't fun. Just my 2 cents.
Well my friend some of us don't get the choice to ride or not in the rain!;) Don't let something like rain prevent you from having fun, just be mindful of conditions and work on probably #1 skill in this wonderful sport of ours an that's being SMOOTH!!!