real tires in the real cold

Henry

Im a year round road rider, and I love riding this time of year, full gear and no sweat. well less anyway. And it might be a mental thing, but there just seems to be less people on the road. Now when it snows ill jump on my bmw but the sportbike get most of the duty. The thing is with air and road temps being so low, my michelin pilot road 3s just cant warm up, its noticeable. And no manufacturer seems to really say anything directly about tires for cold temps. Anybody have any imput. Ive messed around with some air pressures, and it aint happenin. thanks everyone

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
There's not a whole lot of relevance to tires street riding in cold weather...because no matter what you do, the road is cold. Any heat your tires may generate gets sucked out by the road surface. Your tires may get somewhat warm, but this time of year it's very unlikely they come up to anything resembling operating temperature.

The cold road surface also offers less grip when it's cold. There's nothing you're going to do to change that.

Best you can do is to plan your ride during the warmest part of the day..that's what we used to do many years ago when we'd get a wild hair to ride in late Fall or Winter.

Riding during the colder months is just about enjoying being out if you're going to venture out. Just slow down, be smooth and enjoy a little sunshine and the open the air.