Remember the fairing lower coming off ?

meanstrk

Control Rider
That was one of our events if I recall correctly. The forks on my 750 actually came off the bike that the video was shot from.

tdelegram

Control Rider
looks like Pitt race, carousel coming up the hill on to the front straight, definitely an area you need a good drive on if your trying to pass a big bore bike. Riding motorcycles at a high pace around a close course is a high risk endeavor, you should be insured and financially stable in my opinion before you go out there. No clue what lead to that incident, could be anything, front rider signaled they were pitting and changed their mind, rear rider lapse in judgement.......

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I remember that video. If I recall correctly, the rider made a last minute decision to pit in from the race line, no signal, leaving the CR with no place to go. That's why we stress proper procedure in the riders meeting. But at more events than I'd like to see, it gets violated, sometimes with very bad results.

mpusch

Micah
Yeah, I remember this making the rounds a couple years ago. Here's the full video:

I remember that video. If I recall correctly, the rider made a last minute decision to pit in from the race line, no signal, leaving the CR with no place to go. That's why we stress proper procedure in the riders meeting. But at more events than I'd like to see, it gets violated, sometimes with very bad results.

I think that was the prevailing theory and it kinda looks like he ducks his left shoulder down to head there. But watching the video, I don't really think he was going to be able to make it into pit. He would have probably ended up in the wall if that's where he was going.

Edit: Now I remember. Watch the last corner worker station. Lead bike saw the red flag and checked up. CR either missed the flag, or just wasn't expecting the lead to roll off the throttle so quickly (which you ideally shouldn't...). Probably explains the quick thought of the lead bike to duck into pit, but knew he wouldn't make it.

Last edited:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Oh yeah, red flag, yup. I recall that now. Still, if you see the red flag at the last minute, still DO NOT make a last minute decision to pit in. Like they say at the riders meeting, the person behind you may not have yet seen it. Better to continue on and go around again.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
There is a reason that, at every rider's meeting, it is pounded into your head that when you see a red flag, you PUT YOUR HAND UP FIRST...then back off the throttle to your 80% pace. Not your race pace, but hustle along fast enough so that all bikes get off track ASAP so the ambulance can roll out.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Unfortunately that happens all too frequently. If you are caught missing the MANDATORY riders meeting, you won't be riding.

JakeSizzle

Attending the mandatory riders meeting and paying attention to the mandatory riders meeting are two very different things. I see too many people goofing off in the back at some TD's during the meeting. :mad:

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
There is a reason that, at every rider's meeting, it is pounded into your head that when you see a red flag, you PUT YOUR HAND UP FIRST...then back off the throttle to your 80% pace. Not your race pace, but hustle along fast enough so that all bikes get off track ASAP so the ambulance can roll out.

+1

And yet, every single day we see riders chop their throttle right away at a red (or yellow) flag, we see them reducing speed to less than 50% on a red flag, and we see them chopping throttle immediately as they signal a pit in - creating a congo line. For red flags in particular, every rider should be thinking "Somebody might be hurt! I need to signal immediately that I understand, and then get the heck off the track into the Pit right away!"

I had a close call myself this past weekend at Lightning, where a rider failed to signal pit in until about 200 feet before the exit, then immediately chopped throttle and cut to the right to pit in - right across the race line in front of me. And this wasn't even on a red flag.

borislav

Control Rider
Attending the mandatory riders meeting and paying attention to the mandatory riders meeting are two very different things. I see too many people goofing off in the back at some TD's during the meeting. :mad:
What is the difference in possible disastrous results on the track by not attending riders meeting and not paying attention at riders meeting!?
Answer is NOTHING!!!
Putting your heart and mind for 20 min of your time (riders meeting ) may be the the best investment you did that week, it will pay dividends right away to you and others in the shape of safety.
Of course riders meeting will not stop all the issues but it will minimize them for sure.

Last edited: