Richmond Cycle Shop

!ThatGuy!

Im looking for a reputable cycle service shop that can run a valve clearance check, replace my spark plugs, fix my quickshift and dyno tune my 07 GSXR 600. I know of RnR in DC area, but I am hoping that there is a place just as good if not better closer to me (Staunton,VA). If yall know of one please let me know!

Special bonus points if you know of someone relatively close to me who would show me how to do the above tasks (minus the dyno tune) for some money or beer or both!

Thanks guys!

EDIT: googled it and found HTP Motorsports. They seem competent. Has anyone heard or dealt with them?

-Shad
CCS #418Am

yohoho

sorry, haven't really had any work done outside basic fluid changes and bolt ons in my garage, let us know what you choose!

Have had a friend use Richmond Superbike, and he had awful service, I have priced service (fork refresh) and they have seemed high... but no personal experience.

Kruizen

Control Rider
Talked with Richmond Superbike to do some of my work and they had no idea. Lost all confidence that they could do the work.

Get a service manual and give it a whirl. I'm On the fence about doing mine this winter, but think ill do it next winter along with a big bore kit.

Mrp(mph?) motorsports did some mobil dyno runs up at summit this summer, but I'm not sure where they are located.

D-Swens

HTP Performance is an absolutely top-notch shop.

Cecil Towner, the owner, is one of the best tuners in the business. He works primarily on drag bikes, which is why he name doesn't ring out so much in the roadrace world, but he is VERY well known and well respected when it comes to motors and tuning.

By far your best bet in Richmond.

R&R is great in NOVA...

JWZelibor

check out Fairfax Cycles & ATV's their work is top notch and they are the best kept secret in the NOVA talk to the owner his name is Kevin and he is very passionate about road racing and he Races in the GNCC ATV series as well so he understands a racers needs.

mmmfishrighton

Control Rider
Another vote for HTP Performance in Richmond. Cecil tuned my R6 a few years ago and it has been running great ever since. I know a couple other people have been tuned by them and had great results too.

FYI, they are close to the Richmond squirrels stadium.

Jhuppdog

Does HTP Performance do suspension work as well? Thinking of having everything refreshed over the winter.

mmmfishrighton

Control Rider
I don't think so. They primarily do drag work. I usually just take the suspension off the bike then send it to whoever you choose.

!ThatGuy!

Great info thanks guys. Ill be giving HTP and Fairfax Cycles a shout for pricing, Rick from RnR already gave me some prices (they were very fair, but Im on a racers budget. lol)

As far as suspension, Ill be shipping it to MDM and I recommend yall do the same!!

Ill let yall know who I end up going with and my experience with them. Thanks!

Tune for the bike. Thing ran like a missile...178hp with 93lbs of tourque.

They do alot of grudge bike that are about $30k. They are solid motor guys. I would go to them again if I wanted to do a SS build on my bike.

Ducti Jockey;295981 wrote: Tune for the bike. Thing ran like a missile...178hp with 93lbs of tourque.

They do alot of grudge bike that are about $30k. They are solid motor guys. I would go to them again if I wanted to do a SS build on my bike.
There is no way a 06 Gsxr 1000 makes 178 with 93 ft lbs of torque. 163-167hp 79-83 ft lbs of torque.

Unbroken13;299659 wrote: I'm taking the r6 there today... Guy doesn't like to map a bike in cold weather.. Lol... Gonna be 62 today...
I'd wait if I were you, typically you'd want to tune a bike in similar riding conditions. The bike will run completely different in the summer "when you do plan on riding it". Now if he's has a temp controlled dyno room, then i'd say go for it.

Unbroken13

It's a heated shop... And I'm adding the auto tune later in the season... Right now Im tired of the blue flame...... L

Unbroken13;299674 wrote: It's a heated shop... And I'm adding the auto tune later in the season... Right now Im tired of the blue flame...... L
Then what ever you're about to pay Cecil, will be money tossed away. Tuning it won't necessarily get rid of the blue flame.

I'm nobody but I'm trying to give you good advice here, you mentioned him not wanting to tune bikes in the cold. That's his way of saying if you have any problems down the road.... you were informed.

Unbroken13

Having a improper map installed could do more damage than good... I only had a downloaded map from the dyno jet site... So for me getting one done on a 62 degree day and knowing its close is good with me... Plus like u said if the guy is ok doing it at today's temp it must be ok?? (I would think)... They seemed pretty stand up... And on top of all that its not like I'm trying to get a 6 second bike... I'm just making sure it's in the neighborhood...