Road Atlanta April 4th and 5th

Jester

Yamahawkins
Control Rider
Director
This will be my first time at Road Atlanta and was wondering how the track is in terms of grip. Is it slick until it comes up to temp? Any particular spot to watch out for?

borislav

Control Rider
Where ever you go and temps are low you will not have optimum grip,and with that said you will for sure have to adjust your riding accordingly.
Now RA is a blast I LOVE IT,what I noticed in last couple times I have been there is turn one (fast turn) is bumpy not bad but I don't know did it get worse,we run AMA chicane and keep in mind there is room only for one bike through there,
umm...that's all that comes to my mind at this point.

Oh and yes you'll loooove it!!!

borislav

Control Rider
Never been to Mid-O but heard about traction issues when temps drop...
I would call RA as you say "normal track" but
when Georgia sun start to bake traction is wonderful!

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Going to reiterate what Bo said about grip. You have to adjust for conditions regardless of the track you are at. That being said, with warm temps, a dry track and warm tires, RA is good on traction.

rhill

Never been to Mid-O but heard about traction issues when temps drop...
I would call RA as you say "normal track" but
when Georgia sun start to bake traction is wonderful!

On mild mornings, Mid-O has a way of sapping confidence the moment you hit the keyhole and the bike begins to move around...even on a cautious feeler outlap. First time there, on an especially cold morning, the guys at tech put it bluntly "don't go out first session, there's no point"....I did, and there wasn't. Same goes for rain at Mid-O, but with that being said, in dry conditions as the track warms up it really comes in.

Anyway, back to the Road Atlanta. Looking forward to a new track, along with my first days with N2.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
On mild mornings, Mid-O has a way of sapping confidence the moment you hit the keyhole and the bike begins to move around...even on a cautious feeler outlap. First time there, on an especially cold morning, the guys at tech put it bluntly "don't go out first session, there's no point"....I did, and there wasn't. Same goes for rain at Mid-O, but with that being said, in dry conditions as the track warms up it really comes in.

Anyway, back to the Road Atlanta. Looking forward to a new track, along with my first days with N2.

No track that I've been to on the east coast is nearly as bad as Mid Ohio in the mornings. The first time I went to Mid-Ohio everyone told me it's slick as hell in the morning...went out and was slipping around on the track putting down some blazing laps - low 50's - LOL. Figured out the lines and where to go, and when the races started I was running 38's. Ridiculous. Great track, but that surface leaves a lot to be desired. I felt way more nervous turning 50's in the morning than I did 38's during the races in the afternoon.

Pavement will heat up quick if even partly sunny, I've never had any real grip issues there. Stay off the paint and shaded areas early, couple of blinds that you have to reference trees or buildings to initiate your turn, back stretch is really fast - 9 (kink) and 10A can test you especially in traffic. Seen a few bad highsides from folks rolling on too hard coming out of the last turn onto the front but mainly when racing. Once you learn this track it is one of the most fun and fastest tracks you can run down this way. Plenty of places for clean passing, good pit out and pit in. Bring a genny if you have one just in case. Awesome track!

There are several shower stations around the property but only warm water showers are behind control tower. Can camp just about anywhere pavement or grass but its been a bit wetter than normal so grass might be not so nice. Power only available in paved areas. No open flames like campfires. Water available in lower paddock area. 24 hour access but make sure you wear your wristband they give you when you come in the gate or could be a hassle. Fuel for sale on site and couple of decent restaurants close.

kman0066

Does anyone know if anyone will be there selling/mounting Dunlops at Road Atlanta the 4th/5th? Selling/Mounting other brand(s) if not?