Safety award system?

PJZOCC624

jcrich;141889 wrote: So you want stickers and a discount for doing something that you should be doing anyhow?
Who would administer something like this? Who determines what was a "safe" crash or an "unsafe" crash? Way too many moving parts here.

As you say in your 2nd statement, you should need no incentive to follow the rules and ride within them and be as safe as you possibly can.
Again, in your first comment, you said "you should need no incentive to follow the rules and ride within them and be as safe as you possibly can" - being that your post was in response to mine, my comprehension of this statement leads me to the conclusion that you feel I dont normally ride safely unless I have some outside incentive. Since we've never ridden together, I became irritated at this assumption.

And, once again, I would ask you WHERE in my first response did I mention "SAFE CRASH" or "UNSAFE CRASH"? I don't think the OP mentioned this, either. So, yes, I do believe my reading comprehension skills are adequate. And, like most people who can attest that I do ride safely and within the rules, most people would agree that I am also an ass.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
PJZOCC17;142153 wrote: And, like most people who can attest that I do ride safely and within the rules, most people would agree that I am also an ass.
Definitely a good, safe rider. Makes good clean passes! I don't think you're an ass. Will you be at Summit or the Beave in Sept? I forgot to pick up my beer! :doh:

daddyo

How about just a "Safe Rider"award voted on by all CR's at the end of the season.Maybe a jersey or something?
It would be a nice thing to shoot for.That way we dont have to keep track of who makes mistakes and who doesn't.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
This is a good idea. How about a smallish plastic tag with your member number on it that's permanently (not easily removed) attached somewhere near the instrument cluster, or wherever. When you make it through the day safely, the director punches it.

After a certain number of punches, you get something. A unique t-shirt that isn't for sale, gift card, sticker, or whatever.

If you crash, when the bike comes off the truck, the tag gets snipped and you have to start over.

However, what constitutes a crash? i.e. if you're out of fuel or have a mechanical, go off track and it slips out from underneath you when you're going 0.7 mph, is it a crash or not? Not trying to stir the pot, but a line needs to be drawn somewhere.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
How about we make the crashers where skirts and high heels and run around with umbrellas. Maybe we could make them the designated cook for the evening feast. Maybe they can write on the chalk board "I will not crash" 100 times :notsure:

Twiztedjester55

slow_honda;142257 wrote: How about we make the crashers where skirts and high heels and run around with umbrellas. Maybe we could make them the designated cook for the evening feast. Maybe they can write on the chalk board "I will not crash" 100 times :notsure:
Is this your way of saying you want to wear a skirt and high heels

slowpoke

slow_honda;142257 wrote: How about we make the crashers where skirts and high heels and run around with umbrellas. Maybe we could make them the designated cook for the evening feast. Maybe they can write on the chalk board "I will not crash" 100 times :notsure:
that's awesome!

and ninjaman - your drop in the paddock counts as a crash:D now head to the back of the line and don't forget your umbrella:rtfm:

Oldmxer281

Control Rider
I haven't done this since high school, but hey, if I crash I'll do what I have to do:D

I am curiously aroused by this idea :notsure:

BZ

dbakerpa

I think again time for the paint guns. A public pelting center paddock by the CRs following every crash-provided you walk away. A rain check could beissued for all crashes you cant walk away from.
That would get rid of that desire we all get every once in a while to crank the rear wheel around and cut the throttle to see how far it will throw us.

Trent1098S

barry38;141908 wrote: Why tempt fate? You know soon as you put a "haven't crashed in X days" sticker on your bike, you will crash right??????:)
Been there, done that.. twice. EXACTLY the next track day after I posted on the forums, each time, I crashed.

jcrich;141926 wrote: Exactly!!!! Just like getting new leathers or getting new paint. :D
Been there done that too! The FIRST day after getting new paint on my sharkskins, and putting brand new vortex rearsets on, I destroyed both. :)

ninjamansc;142255 wrote:
This is a good idea. How about a smallish plastic tag with your member number on it that's permanently (not easily removed) attached somewhere near the instrument cluster, or wherever. When you make it through the day safely, the director punches it.
I don't see how a plastic tag is gonna give me the track I need when I get stuffed, or the traction I need when the tires slip out from under me. Sorry to play the pessimist here but the idea to keep a "safety record" for riders, or award them in any way for not crashing, isn't going to make riders not crash.

ANY distraction on the track while riding is a bad thing. If I run a corner wide, I don't want my first thought to be about losing progress on some safety goal as the edge of the track rapidly closes, I want the patterned response to kick in : "turn my head, eyes up, look down the track, get off the bike more, relax." Thinking of the former will make me run off, while the latter will get me through the corner.

The energy would be better spent, in my opinion, by listening to experienced guys about HOW they crashed - because crashing happens to everyone, at some point. Take those lessons to heart, wherever they may come from, so you don't repeat the same mistakes.

Too many people throw on leathers, boots, gloves, and helmet, and assume they are invincible. That if they crash, it'll be an easy slide, and they can hop right up to go check out how bad their bike was mangled. Most of the time it goes down like that.

Most
of the time...

I'm a month and a day past my last crash and still can't do many basic daily tasks that I used to be able to do on my own.

That whole crashing thing.. just don't do it. But we gotta ditch this taboo on talking about it. You shouldn't be afraid to walk up and ask someone about it.

If we're all guilty of any one thing in particular, as a whole, it's this taboo on talking about crashing, this stigma or paranoia we have that if we talk about crashing the superstitious gremlin under the bed will reach out and spank your ass the next time you hit the track.

In reality, if we're truly "all in the family", people that crash have a certain duty to explain to others HOW and WHY it goes down, so that people can think about it, and how to avoid it. By merely thinking about how you'd respond in that situation, you've already laid the groundwork for a patterned mental response to kick in when you find someday you do need it.

Just my .02

Joe Vital

Me thinks it is something to think about BEFORE you find yourself wide in a corner. A reminder BEFORE you go out on the track to ride safe first and fast second.
This aint knitting, and it is certainly not racing—despite the same dangers or risks.

My input on this subject would be to identify the negative, not the positive.
Have the CR carry a few stick-on dots. When they see a bone head move by someone, bring them in and place a bone head maneuver sticker on the back of their helmet. Three stickers and it is time to go home. This will let other CRs know some one is having trouble and also lets the other riders know who it is they are approaching.
The idea of identifying safe riders is a good one, but I think maybe we should identify the riders that are NOT playing nice. That way they can be readily identified to either get the help they need and/or be avoided on the track by other riders.
Sure some folks are going to get their feelings hurt, but weigh that against someone getting their bike wadded or worse, I think the answer is obvious.

Landshark

Control Rider
Joe Vital;143475 wrote: Me thinks it is something to think about BEFORE you find yourself wide in a corner. A reminder BEFORE you go out on the track to ride safe first and fast second.
This aint knitting, and it is certainly not racing—despite the same dangers or risks.

Have the CR carry a few stick-on dots. When they see a bone head move by someone, bring them in and place a bone head maneuver sticker on the back of their helmet. Three stickers and it is time to go home. This will let other CRs know some one is having trouble and also lets the other riders know who it is they are approaching.
The idea of identifying safe riders is a good one, but I think maybe we should identify the riders that are NOT playing nice. That way they can be readily identified to either get the help they need and/or be avoided on the track by other riders.
Sure some folks are going to get their feelings hurt, but weigh that against someone getting their bike wadded or worse, I think the answer is obvious.
:haha:I thought the infraction called for the offender walking around the paddock with a "Hello Kitty" umbrella.

avizpls

#11-A
THIS I think I'm for. I do try to remember people that, lets say "grab my attention".