Schedule Your Assessment???

i-Zapp

Looking to become a member this year (actually, 3 of us from OH) and so I clicked the button on the NESBA front page, filled out the info, and alas a month later still no reply regarding my "assessment". Yes, i checked my email spam filter/folder, and i do get regular emails from NESBA.

We've been running with our local trackday orgs like Motoseries and STT, and one of us (my 16yo son) even has a competition license... so, what I'm wondering is what i should expect from our "assessment" and how we go about registering for our first NESBA event - which will be Barber in a month. I've heard that the default new member ride group is Novice, and I know that NESBA novice group is fast, but we're all looking forward to picking up where we left off from last year (with a proper post-winter warm-up). Should we all register asIntermediate, or are we forced to Novice?

Apologize if this is an old/recurring topic.

Thanks. Either way, see you in AL!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
The assessment thing is new this year, no idea how it works. Try sending an email to info@nesba.com
Pretty sure you can sign up for either B or I as a first-time nesba rider. If you have a lot of experience and are running upper I or A with other orgs, you'll probably be fine in I.

i-Zapp

thanks for the reply, hoping that by posting this in the Member Feedback section it'll get answered by those that are looking for the feedback, and for the benefit of others.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I would go ahead and just do B group. If anything, it will relieve any pressure on trying to keep pace with I groupers. Not to mention, we're ALL coming off the off season. I'd like to think we all have some rust around the edges. CR's will most definitely take note if they notice you behind them all the time. I highly doubt if you're a solid I group runner, you won't get noticed within the first or second session and be put in I anyways.

JRA

That info you fill out doesn't come straight to me, it goes to NESBA HQ in PA. With the first Barber event not until April there really isn't any reason that if would have necessarily been forwarded to me in January or February. Why don't you just come and see me immediately after the rider's meeting and we'll talk about what you specifically would like to get out of a CR assessment. One of our CR's can easily go out and ride with you and give you typical feedback like we do with all riders, but my guess is you are looking for something more. If that's the case we'll arrange a time and I'll personally do it.

If your main goal is to find your way around Barber then I can definitely help you with that. Weather and daylight permitting, we'll also do a track walk on Saturday evening after the last session of the day.

i-Zapp

ok, so i'm officially "scheduling our assessment" for Barber then!

for two of us it'll be the second time to that track (last spring). i'll be on a new bike, so signing up for novice wouldnt be a bad idea. I made the leap to a dedicated trackbike this year, and for sure a little nervous about the transition from the Tuono. i hope i'm faster on it! :eek:

rider #2 is a def an aspiring I rider on a 600 trackbike. with some warmup he's good to go.

but for my son, it'll be a first at Barber. he's arguably the 'fastest' of our group but his lap times are certainly not I due to his displacement handicap. running novice would be fine, although for him the only opportunity he has for passing is braking and corners. he's raced last year and has a dozen track days under his belt - i just dont want him to be frustrated with traffic.

thanks for the reply, i guess we'll sign up this way and sort out any changes in April.

JRA

I wasn't really offering advice on where to sign up because I didn't have the info you gave in your last post.

First our groups are fast. I don't know who you have ridden Barber with in the past but I can say with confidence that our Intermediate group is fast, and generally comparable to what you might expect to see in the Advanced group with most other organizations. Our B group isn't slow either, but we do have more of a variety of speeds there.

As new NESBA members you can self select either B or I. I would suggest honestly asses where you think you will best fit in and select appropriately. If you select Intermediate and you aren't comfortable I'll be happy to move you to the other group. We'll also move you up or down based on what we see on the track. Bottom line is we want everybody to be as happy as possible while also ensuring that everyone is placed in the appropriate group.

i-Zapp

i dont really want to belabor this, but the reason for the post was feedback on this new Assessment thing - i presumed that the info provided in the form (plus probably some followup) is used to determine the new rider's skill level, and then assigned to either B, I, or A group, and only then would an applicant be able to register for an event. apparently the 'assessment' is actually in-person, one-on-one at that first event, and my impression was incorrect. sorry for my confusion.

JRA

i-Zapp;265835 wrote: i dont really want to belabor this, but the reason for the post was feedback on this new Assessment thing - i presumed that the info provided in the form (plus probably some followup) is used to determine the new rider's skill level, and then assigned to either B, I, or A group, and only then would an applicant be able to register for an event. apparently the 'assessment' is actually in-person, one-on-one at that first event, and my impression was incorrect. sorry for my confusion.

You are correct. The assessment is on the track.