SE Michigan Area riders

Doublea

Hey there guys,

I'm in my last year of college, getting all ready to start looking for some 9-5 after graudation (probably more likely to be a 6-5 with engineering), but one of my internship employers in SE Michigan offered to bring me back full time. Believe it or not, one of my biggest considerations in this is the proximity to race tracks. So basically, I'd be looking at Gingerman, Grattan, Blackhawk, and Mid Ohio as the closest ones. I'm just looking to get an idea of how many people out there are employed/living in suburban Detroit somewhere (probably working for the auto industry), and how you find it having to get to these tracks. Is it a PITA whenever you want to race? Or is it a manageable commute. Stuff like that.

Also, I'll have you know, the way I have been narrowing down on areas of interest that I might want to live in is by starring all the road courses in America on google maps. Easy peasy, just look for the largest concentrations ;)

Also, cheapest living (i.e. garage necessary, living area optional) in the Wayne County area would help too.

Thanks!

some guy #2

Living in MI will help a lot I think with most race tracks and orgs (racing or TD).

WERA goes to Grattan, Beaverun, and Nelson's which you're close to. For TD's you got Mid-O and STT which love MI tracks. You're pretty much on the right side of the country to try a lot of tracks. When I lived in Indiana Road Atlanta was about as far as I could stand (10-11 hours one way).

Doublea

yeah, I figured that. It's just a tough decision considering the fact that SE mich has a grand total of nothing to do. No mountains, no fun driving roads, nada- I'd be relying on the weekend racetrack high to pull me through

Corn Fed

Great time to buy in SE MI. Plenty of tracks within 4 hour drive, but no NESBA, STT primarily, Mid OH runs their own.

kbonigut

beaver run

beaver run not to far and an awesome track that nesba will be at in addition to others all year. I am betting that is 4-5 hrs for you.

beac83

From the Detroit area you can also get to Mid-Ohio, Putnam and Nelson Ledges pretty easily.

So in a 6 hour radius on the US side you have:

Grattan, Gingerman, Beaver Run, Autobahn, Blackhawk, Putnam, Mid-Ohio, Nelson Ledges. Not too shabby. Not sure if any Canadian tracks are within the 6 hour drive radius, but there are probably some in Ontario, too.