Seized bolt in GSXR suspension lingage

Ron R

Air hammers tend to dance around. Leave the nut on and then put a cap over that. And then the 3/4” flat head hammer will give you more control. Wish you were closer. I like sinking my teeth in on a problem like this.

mdhokie

Have you tried using an impact wrench on the nut? Just the vibration might help break loose anything that's seized without putting excessive torque on it.

Edit: never mind dumb idea; I didn't realize the nut was already loose. I initially thought you were saying the nut wasn't turning either. Can you use an impact wrench on the bolt head on the other side?

jimmyz63

Got it. Ended using threaded rod and nuts to make things solid. On the bolt head side I put an oversized socket over the head and snugged that up to the frame. Then other side just started pounding carefully, a little at a time.

Attachments

• WP_20180125_004.jpg
    WP_20180125_004.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 20

tdelegram

Control Rider
Based on the amount of work I am guessing the bearings are dry and shot, replace them along with the swing arm bearings and you’ll be good until you get your next bike. I just had the same done on my 2011and 2015 bikes.

jimmyz63

Surprisingly the bearings weren't bad at all. Hardly any signs on the ground surface of the sleeve as well. Just galling between the bolt and sleeve. But new bearings make sense and anti-seize on the bolts on assembly.