Should a novice invest in tire warmers?

Jgelack

Hi, I'm planning on doing my very first track day this year and was wondering if you thought it would be a good idea to invest in a set of tire warmers beforehand. What got me thinking about this is recently watching a number of cold tire crashes on YouTube and reading some comments suggesting that tire warmers might be a good idea for beginners that are still learning proper body position, lines, braking techniques etc, as an extra safety measure. What are your thoughts? I'm riding a 2013 R6 with Q3's. I really appreciate any advice you can give me!

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Not needed. Tire warmers do not fix cold tire crashes. A super sport tire will get up to temp within the first lap. Plenty of people crash on the first lap WITH warmers. Save your money and use it for more track time or a YCRS class. By time you spend money on warmers, a generator to run them with no electricity, stands, etc. you would have been better off paying for a school or tons of trick days.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Q3’s wouldn’t require warmers, but the real question is do you psychologically? If you can get past any mental block, After 2 laps you’ll be at temperature, for you out laps focus on loading when the bike is straight up and down smoothly with throttle and brakes. Spend the money on a good tire gauge and make sure your pressures are good.

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
I would also add that for a Novice rider, warmers can give you a FALSE sense of security. Fact is warmers will not prevent a first lap crash. Even our fancy tires that require warmers will spit you to the ground on lap 1 or even lap 2 if you are not managing your tires. You have to understand that the tire needs the friction of the pavement to really get it to a working temp.

bmart

Control Rider
One guy's $.02, certainly worth less.

1-There is a mental component, but consider if warmers didn't exist...what would you do? Cautious the first lap, less cautious the next lap. then you're good to go. All of the carcass warming on the track comes from braking and acceleration, not in the corners.
2-The tires are going to the warmest when you roll out and cool every lap at a novice pace...as you're picking up speed.
3-Current sport tires are superb. I have been to more than one track and run my best time on a Q3 rear...faster than on my full race tires. Feedback is superb and edge grip up to fast end of an Advanced pace.
4-The one thing that warmers do give you is a way to set pressure consistently at the same temp. You can guess close enough / in the ball park for that up into an Advanced pace. You just have to know what the pressure/temp difference is.

Kruizen

Control Rider
As a novice, the warmers may give you a great 1st and maybe 2nd lap, at that point you probably haven’t generated enough friction to keep them that hot and now they are actually cooling down and can/could provide less grip.

Are you ready to deal with a tire that may be really changing grip after a couple of laps in the wrong direction?

Or would you prefer to have a tire with a little as grip at the start, that then provides better/more consistent grip as the session goes on-a nice pirelli sp/q3 etc.

Jgelack

Thanks guys, excellent advice! I will skip the warmers for now and instead invest in more track days/courses. Thanks again!

Innovate803

Racecar to Racebike
Unless I am racing, skip it. Doing normal track days where you are not trying to outrun someone lap one does not require heated up already tires. The first lap take it easy and get the tires up to temp and go.

damiankelly

Keep checking your tire pressures before you go out and when you get in…You may want to run them a little lower at first on a cooler day so they flex a little more to get some heat into them. Then once the day gets going and and heat builds raise psi....

check with trackside tire guy about pressures for you and be sure he thinks this make sense for what you run...

That will help hopefully just my 2¢…

scotsman459

As a novice, the warmers may give you a great 1st and maybe 2nd lap, at that point you probably haven’t generated enough friction to keep them that hot and now they are actually cooling down and can/could provide less grip.

Are you ready to deal with a tire that may be really changing grip after a couple of laps in the wrong direction?

Or would you prefer to have a tire with a little as grip at the start, that then provides better/more consistent grip as the session goes on-a nice pirelli sp/q3 etc.
Very good point

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Motofun352

Control Rider
As great as this sport is, one of the biggest drawbacks is the cost to get started. I'm a firm believer in starting small, with just the basics (Good safety gear may be the exception). As you gain experience and see what's working for the other folks then expand your investment.

bmart

Control Rider
What he said...

One can make this a very expensive sport, or a cheap one. Top level gear can be had for cheap used if you look around. Most folks wear things a few times and put it in a closet. Take advantage.