Side fairings - Tech inspection question

Atletic7

Quick question,
I'm preping my street bike - '05 GSXR600 for RA. I took off both side fairings off, so they will not get scratched (this bike is very clean bike). But will I pass Tech inspection with no side fairings?? Everything is secure and nothing is hanging of the bike, if you know what I mean :dunno:
Thanks, Martin:notsure:

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
First and foremost, check the rider's manual. I don't believe there's anything in there that make mention of missing fairings causing a tech failure.

Just in case, bring your fairings so you can put them on in a jiffy.

You may encounter wind vibration issues that cause handling to change, or the wind may cause the front fairing to vibrate at speed and start to damage the upper or cause it to works/vibrates loose, etc. The bodywork isn't just for looks. It's a functional part of the machine that all works together to have a designed and desired effect on airflow over the engine.

It also protects the bike's parts to a small degree. Your fairings may be safe off the bike, but your radiator, exhaust, and oil filter are now a little more exposed.

While the lowers are off, have you taken a hose clamp and safety wired your oil filter? (Please?) If you need a safety wire tool and safety wire, mine will be with me at Road Atlanta. Bring a hose clamp, and we'll fix you up..no problems while we share a friendly beverage.

Again, you can then put your lowers on in a jiffy if they're with you.

Atletic7

Thanks D-zum. I did not think about all of this. I have different bike every single time I'm at the track. Last December at RA, I had fully prepped '99 Gixer 750, before that, fully prepped f4i, and this one is my first street only (untill now :D) bike, so I could use a little help with wiring that thing. I'll take you up on that friendly beverage man!

Perlzuki

Martin, You did not mention what class you ride in, but naked bikes that are FULLY prepped should be OK. Put painters tape over any glass. Try to safety wire oil plug, oil fill & radiator cap if you can. Beginners don't have to as per rulebook, but everyone at the track sure hates to have 1-2 hours of downtime do to a mistake that causes track to get oiled down! Just get with one of the CR's if you have any questions & we will try to help you out! See ya at RA.

Mark
SE CR #249
06 GSXR 1000

Atletic7

Thanks for the info Mark. I think that after safety wiring all the plugs, I will put the fairing back on. I'm a little worry about the water reservoir that is mounted at the right front side and it will be much more secured with the fairings on. I'm still in group B, but still want to have my bike wired. Like you've said "nobody wants to take a 2 hour break because of someone elses mistake". :agree:
The funny part is, this morning, I was too excited about working on my gixxer, and chainged the oil and filter (upgraded to full synthetic). So, it looks like I will be drilling the hole into the oil drain plug while it is on the bike:haha:. The rest shouldn't be a problem I hope. Once again, I was a little ahead of my self:doh:
Do I need any special drill or drill bit for this, or can I just use what I have?

bfolkerts

I've got some old rattle canned race bodywork if you're interested. It's not the prettiest stuff in the world...but they've never been crashed in or anything.

Say - $185 shipped?

bfolkerts

As far as the drill bits go - theirs two schools of thought - get the expensive ones - since they work the best, or get a pack of cheap ones -since you'll be breaking one or two in the process.

Just keep a cap full of oil to dip the drill bit in occasionally - def speeds up the process!

Ruhe52

Martin, I happen to have oil safety wire kits. Drain plugs pre drilled. Bring a clean catch pan to reuse your oil and you are good to go. All it will cost ya is your old oil plug and you even get a fresh new crush washer.
Kit Clamp for filter, pre drilled plug and crush washer. Run a dril bit through the filer cap wire up and
whaaaaaalllaaaaaa!
D Zum knows where to find me.

Atletic7

Thank you guys for offering your help with this! I really appreciate it. I just want to make sure that I won't take too much time from you at the track.
Here are some pics of my safety wired oil filter, oil plug and radiator cup. I'm still in the drilling process of the oil drain plug (broke two drill bits and then had to go to work).
I've used regular plyers and safety wire that my friend gave me. What do you think guys? Is this good enough??

Atletic7

bfolkerts;117220 wrote: I've got some old rattle canned race bodywork if you're interested. It's not the prettiest stuff in the world...but they've never been crashed in or anything.

Say - $185 shipped?
Thanks Brett, but right now I'm pretty tight on $$$. I think I would rather spend the money on the next track day. But I'll let you know if I change my mind.

Ruhe52

Martin only issue I see but it will not cause you an issue at tech. On your radiator cap if it were to come loose the wire is pulling in the direction it would spin off. Big "IF" in there but FWIW.

See you out there.

side fairings/ tech

I intend to ride w/o mine too. I did it at Barber middle of march, even went down in museum with no problem. but that was STT.
I know Nesba is more serious in tech.

Please let me know if you pass tech without mids.

thanks,
john

Atletic7

zenpixel@yahoo.com;117645 wrote: I intend to ride w/o mine too. I did it at Barber middle of march, even went down in museum with no problem. but that was STT.
I know Nesba is more serious in tech.

Please let me know if you pass tech without mids.

thanks,
john
I agree with possible aerodinamics issue of the bike (especially on fast track like RA), plus my right side fairing is kind of holding the coolant reservoir in place, so i've decited to keep the fairings on. I've install them this morning. My ride is ready to burn some rubber ... and so am I!!!
Does anyone have a good quality videos of RA to watch??? :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Atletic7

bfolkerts;117221 wrote: As far as the drill bits go - theirs two schools of thought - get the expensive ones - since they work the best, or get a pack of cheap ones -since you'll be breaking one or two in the process.

Just keep a cap full of oil to dip the drill bit in occasionally - def speeds up the process!
Hey man, do you still have those fairings?? I'm interested. I will send you PM. Check your box.:rtfm:
Thanks!
martin