Spectators/observers

Hoot

Before I attend my first track day, I really would prefer to just go and watch for a couple of hours to observe and get a sense for what I can expect. Can I do so at Summit Point, WV? Are there no-go boundaries I will need to stay away from such as a riders’ meeting, tech inspection, obviously the actual track? I really want to see what riders bring and how to haul it all in and out. I’ve seen countless videos and read this forum too. Thanks!

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's all open, you can come to whatever you want. You'll be wishing you brought your bike though.

For getting on the actual track, after hours and non-powered (bicycle) or foot traffic only. No E-scooters or the like. You *may* be able to get out on the track on a bicycle at lunch, but you'll have to check with the director to confirm...I've never tried but heard that it is possible.

If you have any particular questions, it's all pretty straightforward. You can also pit with someone else that's already going and have them show you the ropes. What're you riding?

Tech opens at 0700 with general riders meeting at 0815, then you can go to the novice classroom portion after that, then the new riders meeting after that. The only thing you'd miss without a bike is the new guys go out and then right back in again to get the procedure down for on and off. After that, you just follow CRs around to learn lines at a very reasonable pace. Is there anything in particular you are worried about or struggling with?

As for tech, basically make sure nothing is leaking (fork seals/oil/etc,) make sure your handlebars turn all the way in both directions, make sure your throttle opens and closes properly at both all the way left and all the way right, make sure you have plenty of tire tread and brake pad left, make sure nothing (rearsets) is loose, and then check the chain tension. Take some painters tape and cover the lights and the mirrors, and you're done.

Last edited:

Hoot

Wow, thanks for all the details. I’m bringing a 1991 Honda Nighthawk 250 (I know). Fun little putt-putt but def not a track bike. You got me squared away and I thank you.

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sure, no problem. You might sign up for the "intro" group if you're weary to go in for the full deal. Description as follows from the N2 site:

"Intro - This free trial group is for the street rider who’s unsure about signing up for a full day of riding. The Intro group attends a Novice classroom session and gets on the track for two 15-20 minute Novice riding sessions in the morning rotation. There is no bike preparation requirement; however, participants are required to pass technical inspection."

You'll certainly have a blast regardless of bike, but when you find yourself wanting to upgrade, the 300s (Yamaha R3 and Kawi Ninja 300) as well as the Suzuki SV650s are great bargain platforms that can take you all the way to A group whilst still providing plenty of fun if you street ride.

Also be sure to check out the rider's manual, regardless of what class you sign up for. You thinking about coming out this Monday?

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NCBike is coming up at the end of the month and may be better suited to your bike, if it's not too far of a drive for you. It's also a Sat/Sun weekend.