Stay local the night before?

Jim-N400

Beginner question here... I have a track day set up at a place that's about 2 hours from me. Would you recommend staying local the night before? I am leaning that way just because it's gonna be a long enough day. Just wondering what others' suggestions are. I'd probably drive home after the event.

Backmarker

Control Rider
Two hrs is my driving limit the morning of, yet I only have two tracks I can do that at.

So we stay over the night before. Most times you'll be able to get into the track and set up your pit.

Ascent

I had the same dilemma prior to my first TD which was also a 2 hour drive. I ended up staying at a hotel 25 minutes away the night before.

Next TD at the same track I drove from home the morning of. After doing both I much prefer this for tracks that are under 2.5 hours away.

Most tracks have on site camping too which is probably the easiest

bmart

Control Rider
For me 2 hours is surely a hotel night. I'm 90 minutes from CMP, and getting there on Saturday morning on time after getting through the gate and getting setup is...hard. There are nearly always cops and deer on the route, so there's no making up time.

Show up for the important part (taking instruction, practicing, and smiling) rested.

tdelegram

Control Rider
For me 2 hours is surely a hotel night. I'm 90 minutes from CMP, and getting there on Saturday morning on time after getting through the gate and getting setup is...hard. There are nearly always cops and deer on the route, so there's no making up time.

Show up for the important part (taking instruction, practicing, and smiling) rested.
I have seen deer dressed as cop, the south is nuts.

45 minutes would be the furthest I would consider commuting and not staying. I live 70 minutes from Pitt race and camp there when riding.

Ascent

I counted 13 separate herds of deer off the interstate during about a 1 hour section on I26 during my last trip to CMP in September! Saw them all on the FLIR way ahead of time and none were close to the road fortunately.

I agree about setting up the morning of though. I arrived at the gate right at 7 but still felt like a rush. I'll figure out a basic camping setup once I have the time to make it to more than a few TDs per year.

Jim-N400

Wait - you can camp there? Ugh. I didn't see anything about that on their site ... maybe I missed it. Well I can always cancel my Air BnB. How is the camping - OK?

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Sorry - Pitt Race. Can't find any camping info on their site.
Yep, plenty of camping there.
If you want to read someone's first track day experience at this very track, have a look here. :)

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
So much easier to wake up at the track and just go to tech than drive and then rush to get set up.

A lot can happen in a 2 hour drive where you’re sitting in traffic being late.

Only time I do get up and drive before an event is my sons MiniGP races in NJ. He sleeps on the way up. I’m usually put support so I can be a little tired cuz I’m not riding.

Donkadillapig

FWIW Jim, I think that pit area camping is the bomb! I was trying to describe the "atmosphere" to a friend the other day and the best I could come up with was a cross between a festival and a truck stop. It's rustic, pit areas by definition are paved so be sure to think about that. For me the really cool thing is the "anything goes" with no judgement vibe. There are the dedicated that roll in with $30k+ toy haulers and campers, people sleeping in the back of U-Haul trailers and even young'uns that pitch a tent right there on the tarmac. No snobbery, no judgement, we are all there to ride.
Oh lordy is it April yet??? :)