Stay local the night before?

rpm894

FWIW Jim, I think that pit area camping is the bomb! I was trying to describe the "atmosphere" to a friend the other day and the best I could come up with was a cross between a festival and a truck stop. It's rustic, pit areas by definition are paved so be sure to think about that. For me the really cool thing is the "anything goes" with no judgement vibe. There are the dedicated that roll in with $30k+ toy haulers and campers, people sleeping in the back of U-Haul trailers and even young'uns that pitch a tent right there on the tarmac. No snobbery, no judgement, we are all there to ride.
Oh lordy is it April yet??? :)
I judge the person that inevitably shows up late after I’m set up in a quite spot and runs the loudest generator imaginable all night near my tent.

Unclhos

I didnt know about camping before my first track day. 2.5 hours drive before is rough. Some places do charge a little for camping. Roebling was like $10 (one night, two people) I think. Barber was $50(two nights, two people). Dont know if either of those were per night or person.

Laszlo

Though first real track day coming up (did Yamaha School before), doing track days on cars my limit was also 45 minutes (which is how far NJMP is from me thankfully). More than that and for me it was another thing to keep in my brain . . . The more clear, mindful, and sanguine I can show up the morning of, the better the day.

I’m a fan of camping at the track. Sleeping in the back of an SUV is perfectly normal. After I empty my cargo van, it’s a metal tent.

Track riding is (for most) a very social sport. I’d much rather walk the paddock catching up with paddock pals before tech inspection than spend that time in a stressful, multi-hour drive.

jsin38

I must be some kind of monster. I consider a 3.75 hour drive in the wee hours achievable. I also rarely run the last session of the day. Coincidence?