Street plastics for trackday

I have a street bike that I plan to use for track only but before I get full race plastics I was gonna use the street ones.

My question is this: is it better to leave the headlights in or take them out and leave 2 holes in the front?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Don't Crash and save yourself the hassle pre and post track day. Ride within your limits and look far enough ahead to identify traffic issues and you shouldn't need to worry about it.

Don't Crash and save yourself the hassle pre and post track day. Ride within your limits and look far enough ahead to identify traffic issues and you shouldn't need to worry about it.

Thanks for the reply, but i was wondering about leaving in the headlights...

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
There's no rules regarding needing headlights. So remove or keep them in. Makes no difference if you don't test gravity. No rules on any body work other than it needs to be properly secured if present

There's no rules regarding needing headlights. So remove or keep them in. Makes no difference if you don't test gravity. No rules on any body work other than it needs to be properly secured if present

Thank you!

I was more or less just worried that it would look "dumb" or people would be wondering why I took them out..

I always ride in my limits but sometimes things happen. Didnt want to ruin the lights if need be.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
You won't look dumb with them out. Don't know how your bike is, but when I had a bike that did dual street /track duty, I found it to be too much work to take them in and out all the time. I just taped them up. You can do whichever you prefer. I've see a few removed, most just leave them in and tape. Your call, no right or wrong. And who cares what someone else thinks about how you prep your bike? Now, if you were to show up with spiked windscreen bolts, spiked levers, bar ends, etc., then you can worry that other people think that looks stupid; and that stuff won't pass tech for safety reasons. No one will think removing headlights is stupid. I was always just too lazy, lol. On some bikes it's a lot of work.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
If it's possible, the only thing I'd do is remove the fuses so the lights aren't lit. The heat can made getting the tape back off a pain. Other than that, agree with the previous posts.

KN53

Just double check that the headlight fuse isnt shared with the starter. I did that last year at lightning and took me half an hour to figure out why the damn bike wouldnt turn over at tech.

You won't look dumb with them out. Don't know how your bike is, but when I had a bike that did dual street /track duty, I found it to be too much work to take them in and out all the time. I just taped them up. You can do whichever you prefer. I've see a few removed, most just leave them in and tape. Your call, no right or wrong. And who cares what someone else thinks about how you prep your bike? Now, if you were to show up with spiked windscreen bolts, spiked levers, bar ends, etc., then you can worry that other people think that looks stupid; and that stuff won't pass tech for safety reasons. No one will think removing headlights is stupid. I was always just too lazy, lol. On some bikes it's a lot of work.
Thanks for the response. It's going to be my back up track bike, but permanently track. Im just too cheap to buy track plastics for it but didn't want to risk damaging parts needlessly.

mpusch

Micah
Take the headlights out, then do a nice tape job over the blank spots where the headlights would have been. Boom!

No headlights to break and it will improve high speed aerodynamics :eek: ;)