Suzuki GSXR Brake Recall

physicistkev

Control Rider
Called my local dealer. They ran my VIN for verification. Ordered the part and will call me when the part arrives to swap it out. Pretty easy.

bluers

physicistkev;292890 wrote: Called my local dealer. They ran my VIN for verification. Ordered the part and will call me when the part arrives to swap it out. Pretty easy.
Will they allow you to bring in your mc and swap parts or do they have to do it? I have a spare that was shot that I'd like to get exchanged to keep as a backup.

physicistkev

Control Rider
Not sure? I would assume that they want the verification of the part on the bike. However, since this a warranty job, I don't know what Suzuki is requiring for payment to the dealer. If all they need is a valid VIN and a valid part, then it may save them the time if you just swap. Moral compass of the shop will also be in play.

bluers

physicistkev;292910 wrote: Not sure? I would assume that they want the verification of the part on the bike. However, since this a warranty job, I don't know what Suzuki is requiring for payment to the dealer. If all they need is a valid VIN and a valid part, then it may save them the time if you just swap. Moral compass of the shop will also be in play.
Oh, it was the one on the bike, but I went to a Brembo after it started failing. I would just like to have a good one as a backup incase.

physicistkev

Control Rider
That very well may be, however, prove that it is the original one.

:dunno:

That being said, just because you bring in a bike with a master cylinder on it doesnt really prove that it was the original. I think this is really a, show me a valid frame with appropriate VIN and we will take the original part and replace it. For liability reasons, the dealer will be required to perform the swap.

There will be some kind of verification required by Suzuki or there would be rampant fraud on this recall. I could see something like the following.

Suziki requires:
Valid frame with appropriate VIN
Original part (doubt that these had serial numbers, but Suzuki definately has identifying data on the part)
Dealer is required to do the swap, including labor (I would be surprised if they allowed just a parts swap due to liabilty reasons, this is where the moral compass of the dealer comes in)

They need to check off VIN numbers as they go along so you cant go to different dealers and swap out random masters at each one. The dealer needs to perform the swap so that you cant come back in with some bs about another warranty claim or that it caused you to have an accident...

physicistkev

Control Rider
Just got a call from my local dealer letting me know that my part was in. Without my forks, it would be a challenge to get the bike to the shop. Chuck is reworking them at the moment. So, they just told me once I get the bike back together let them know and I can schedule an appointment. Tech told me it would take about an hour, seems about right. I will rebleed them once I get the bike back. I like the system as tight as can be and my method hasn't failed me yet.

I'm using Loudoun Motorsports in Leesburg Virginia, for anyone interested. I will follow up with my experience after they are done. Some of the guys heading to Barber are bringing my forks back, so I expect it will be early next week.

Kevin

physicistkev

Control Rider
After I got the forks back, put the bike on the trailer and had the master cylinder replaced at the shop. Took about 20 minutes. They did a good job. I will still re-bleed, but I could just go out on the track as it is. The master cylinder is a newer, radial Nissin. Appears to be the same one that goes on the new bikes. Pretty nice. Especially since it was free.

bmrboy

Just got my recall notice from Suzuki .... called Dealer , they ordered part , bring bike in , simple as pie !!!!!
I like Pie ......:agree:

Ruhe52

What are they replacing the master with same unit or something that actually works as anything Suzuki has used for a master historically has sucked.

bmrboy

Ruhe52;294979 wrote: What are they replacing the master with same unit or something that actually works as anything Suzuki has used for a master historically has sucked.
Honestly .... Not sure !!! I would imagine it must be an up-dated version ..... :dunno:
Either way , A new Brembo will be installed , So I will have a NEW SPARE ... Works for me ... like Pie ..... :D

How's your build coming along ?????

physicistkev

Control Rider
I wont know how good it is until I get going into turn 1 at summit or turn 5 at barber, but while making engine noises sitting on the bike in my basement, it seems good :dunno: