Tell me what I need to know about towing

CBRtist

I'm most likely upgrading this year to a new mini toy hauler. It's pretty much all Ria and I need, so I'd like to downsize from driving my tank. I'll also need something to tow with, so upgrading my vehicle too.

Hauler I'm looking at is 8,000 lbs. loaded. Vehicle I'm looking at can haul a little over 8,000 with tow package. I'm getting mixed opinions in regard. Some say go up in power with the vehicle (which I don't care to do since I commute and I don't want to go bigger if not necessary) just to be safe. Some say I will be fine and the people that say that are fear mongers.

I'd just like to hear opinions/experiences/ups/downs regarding.

FYI, I will be selling my current fun mover "as is" and posting. I'm in North Delaware. If you are interested, send me a PM and we can discuss ;)

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I see you're opening up the big can of worms tonight.... :D

I'll say this: I've never known anyone to complain about a tow vehicle that handled too well, stopped too quickly, or felt too stable.

I'd suggest posting up some generic toy haulers you're looking at, so we can get a visual on the general size/weight you're looking at.

physicistkev

Control Rider
I have an 04 Tahoe. It’s hauled my 6000# boat + 1500# trailer several times. That 7500#s will push the short wheelbase Tahoe around a bit, but it’s nothing that’s unsafe.

However, that’s at max capacity. If you plan on this setup, make sure the Tahoe has a 5.3 liter motor and has the towing package. Trans cooler, electric brake controller hookup and a few other things. Also, get a weight distributing hitch. That last one is a must.

My Tahoe has been a daily driver for me for years. Almost 140k miles and it’s still great.

All that said, a 4 door truck will tow much better. My Titan and my old Silverado tow the boat waaaaaaaaay better. The longer wheel base makes a ton of difference, and the truck is a bit lighter than the Tahoe.

The weight your at, you probably should go the 4 door truck route.

physicistkev

Control Rider
One more thing. Make sure the tow vehicle has no suspension or wheel modifications. Putting bigger rims on, give the engine and brakes less mechanical advantage on the acceleration or deceleration of the vehicle. Raising the suspension by even small amounts will have nontrivial effects on towing capacity. Stock is best.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
8k lbs is more than you realize towing. Manufacturers these days are IMHO VERY optimistic about their "tow ratings". Yeah, they can tow that weight, but often if you're not on pretty level roads with no wind it ain't much fun. I'm only towing a couple thousand more pounds than that regularly and suffice it to say that you're going to be forced into a tough decision. If you have to navigate many hills, towing 8k is nothing to sneeze at. A 1/2Ton gasser will have its hands full. It can do it, but be prepared for some rough fuel economy and listening to the motor running like we run our bikes on the track. Just the way it is - everything is a compromise. I know some folks will disagree with this, but a true 8k trailer will tax 1/2t trucks. I also know that many manufacturers make claims of 12k lbs, etc on some newer 1/2T trucks, but having driven them with smaller trailers behind them, no problem if you're driving across FL and TX. A bigger conversation if you're driving through hills and mountains. My dads Silverado 3/4T with 6.0 struggles with my trailer when it's empty FWIW. The engine is always screaming.

Ron R

I agree with Bill and others. You do not want to be near max tow rate. I’ve had all big three makers 3/4 ton crew cab 8’ bed trucks ( max gas engine) over the last 15 years and Never thought I had too much truck. My worthless opinion is more truck less trailer. That said if I had to use my tow vehicle for daily transportation it would probably be less truck and lesser trailer. Good luck and keep us posted on how you choose. I’m constantly debating the trailer/hotel deal.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
8k pounds, and what, 24 feet? I wouldn't attempt that with my 2016 F150 gasser, for the reasons Bill stated. And it has a claimed towing capacity of about 10k.

tdelegram

Control Rider
8k I would look for a 3/4 ton, you can get a full cab and a 6 foot bed and you’ll have room in the truck bed for extras if the hauler fills up. So far all good consistent advice. I used my f250 as a daily driver for 5 years and now the f350 is the daily driver, it just makes parking harder. The f350 is thick.

R1Baby

Control Rider
Defiantly want more towing capacity with the vehicle as you can afford. My last setup F250 diesel rated at 14,200, trailer grossed at 13,600. It was close and you could feel it. I put a set of air bags on the truck which helped. But it's the braking where you will see more issues. People say, oh my rig can pull that.. yea but can you stop it.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
You're also going to want to look at fuel capacity/range as a factor. My 2011 F350 had a 35 gallon tank. Which got me 350ish miles per tank.
My 2017 similarly equipped truck (crew cab dually the diesel) has a 48 gallon tank. That's a big tank to fill, but it's also fewer fuel stops and thus
less gas stations I have to navigate through...and that can be a severe pain in the ass.

NOW I'm NOT saying you have to go WHOLE HOG with the truck like many of us have...not at all. I was just tossing that in the discussion as a factor in your final
choices for you to consider.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Refueling is certainly a consideration. My 42 ft 5th wheel only goes to truck stops or special RV islands. It means I always have to have a fueling plan when traveling and I almost always carry a spare 5 gallons of diesel...just in case.

prplppleatr239

For buying the trailer, make sure you shop around. There is a ton of markup on RVs, and you may save several thousand $$$ by driving a few hours to pick it up. Buying an RV is like buying a used car from a shady lot. Don't trust anything the salesman tells you, verify on your own.

For the truck, bigger is better. Weight of the trailer isn't as much of an issue as size. Look around the paddock - there's a good reason why there are so many diesel pickups.

If you're investing that much in a truck and trailer, that means you're probably going to use it to travel a few hours away to different tracks. This includes driving home at the end of the weekend when you're tired. A 3/4 ton diesel will pull a smaller toy hauler effortlessly and with little stress. A smaller truck or SUV may technically be rated to pull the weight, but that doesn't mean it will be pleasant. Feeling the trailer pushing around a smaller truck and listening to a gas engine revving to the moon is exhausting, especially on longer trips.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

CBRtist

Thanks for your input all. Lots to consider I didn't factor in. I can't imagine this would ever reach 8000# for my purposes, but doesn't hurt to factor stuff in. I also have a 5th wheel, but it's at a park down the beach and it's not the most convenient to uproot for short trips, so this will be the scoot around hauler for the short trips.

rob92

Control Rider
N2
What Bill and others have said. Max tow weight is a complete joke (current numbers should be illegal). I do not like towing 7500+ lbs with my 1/2 ton Suburban, and then there is getting to tracks like PittRace that will tax your motor/drivetrain/suspension to the limits.

The real problem is when "something goes wrong" and you have an oh-shit moment. You don't want to be on the wrong end of that equation.

tdelegram

Control Rider
The real problem is when "something goes wrong" and you have an oh-shit moment. You don't want to be on the wrong end of that equation.

Rob are you referring to on the track, towing or both?

Agree, we should only clean our shorts after on track fun not going to or coming from the track.

Toeing!

physicistkev

Control Rider
To add a some perspective. I was towing my boat with my Titan this past summer. Going down to the outer banks for some family fun. Lost an outer bearing on the passenger side rear axle. Boat and trailer are around 7k to 7.5k with the fishing gear and some fuel.

It wasn’t much of an event. Just thankful that I carry a spare hub and bearings. Took some time to get the nut off, but that was the hardest part of the event.

My point is that even if you are towing a lot, a large component of the risk is how you drive. I feel a modern 150/1500 is able to safely tow 8k, if you adjust your driving. I don't drive the same way when I am towing a trailer as I do without one. A looooooooooot more distance between the car in front of me and myself. I generally stay in the right lane. I’m grandma getting off and on freeways or roadways. Aggression isn’t an option. Freeway speed is usually the speed limit or 65. Whichever is slower.

I do agree that hilly terrain will tax the engine and transmission more, but you aren’t doing this 5 days or even 2 days a week. Your doing it 2-4 days a month for 6 months out of the year. Going into Pitt will be 2nd gear all the way up. It won’t be fast, but do you want to spend $10-$15k more for 50 miles of road a year?

I can’t remember who said this earlier in the thread, I think it was Rob, it’s not about the go..... it’s about the stop. Make sure you get the brakes well sorted and I think you would be fine with a modern 150/1500 that is moderately outfitted for towing.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
There is zero chance you will ever in your life see me tow 8k with a 1/2 ton. I’ve probably towed well over 300k miles. Not gonna happen with me ever again.

borislav

Control Rider
If you guys forgotten what you read in Wendy's second and third post, go back and read again. She said she is looking into Yukon, Tahoe, Silverado and Suburban if must because she would commute in this vehicle as well and it will be short trip tow vehicle.Since all of these vehicles come on 1500 platform (you can get Suburban and Silverback in 2500 extra cost of course), Wendy forget about $85000 diesel truck/SUV because you don't need it. Also Kevin's post has a lot of good points. My boat is 5K lbs alone w/o gas etc and my Tundra towed it with out problems.
I towed Slow Steve's camper which was 25-28 (can't remember)foot long to Pitt with out any problems. That thing was loaded with our junk plus AJ's junk that we picked up half way because he broke down.
Point of all this is do your homework, use your common sense and buy vehicle with tow package, when towing refer to Kevin's post and you'll be fine.
Now if you have money and really want big bad diesel, well then you know what you have to do.;)

Last edited: