Tell me what I need to know about towing

buzz-06

If you guys forgotten what you read in Wendy's second and third post, go back and read again. She said she is looking into Yukon, Tahoe, Silverado and Suburban if must because she would commute in this vehicle as well and it will be short trip tow vehicle.Since all of these vehicles come on 1500 platform (you can get Suburban and Silverback in 2500 extra cost of course), Wendy forget about $85000 diesel truck/SUV because you don't need it. Also Kevin's post has a lot of good points. My boat is 5K lbs alone w/o gas etc and my Tundra towed it with out problems.
I towed Slow Steve's camper which was 25-28 (can't remember)foot long to Pitt with out any problems. That thing was loaded with our junk plus AJ's junk that we picked up half way because he broke down.
Point of all this is do your homework, use your common sense and buy vehicle with tow package, when towing refer to Kevin's post and you'll be fine.
Now if you have money and really want big bad diesel, well then you know what you have to do.;)

My diesel brand new was $46k out the door, if I I opted for the automatic instead of the manual I could have gotten it for $42k, but I wanted stick and this was last November....that's comparable to a Yukon, suburban or even a nicer Silverado. Not all diesels come with a Denali price tag, just food for thought.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
If you guys forgotten what you read in Wendy's second and third post, go back and read again. She said she is looking into Yukon, Tahoe, Silverado and Suburban if must because she would commute in this vehicle as well and it will be short trip tow vehicle.Since all of these vehicles come on 1500 platform (you can get Suburban and Silverback in 2500 extra cost of course), Wendy forget about $85000 diesel truck/SUV because you don't need it. Also Kevin's post has a lot of good points. My boat is 5K lbs alone w/o gas etc and my Tundra towed it with out problems.
I towed Slow Steve's camper which was 25-28 (can't remember)foot long to Pitt with out any problems. That thing was loaded with our junk plus AJ's junk that we picked up half way because he broke down.
Point of all this is do your homework, use your common sense and buy vehicle with tow package, when towing refer to Kevin's post and you'll be fine.
Now if you have money and really want big bad diesel, well then you know what you have to do.;)

I don't think people are really focusing on gas versus diesel here. Yes, a diesel will without a doubt pull better than ANY gasser. But the bigger issue is that a 3/4T truck isn't necessarily a diesel. But it DOES have larger hubs, bearings, brake rotors, calipers, suspension, etc. 8000lbs is no joke to tow. All it takes is one "aw shit" moment with an under sprung truck, or rotors that are glowing red hot and fading brakes, to ruin your day. I'm not sure a lot of people really estimate their weight very well (not their body weight :) ). My trailer weighs about 4700 empty. My truck weighs about 7000lbs empty. When I add 4 bikes, my rolling tool chest, scooter, about 30gal fuel, generators, assorted crap, I'm usually at around 7700lbs not including clothes, riding gear, etc. I don't give a rats ass what weight distribution hitch you're using, when you're coming down a reasonably steep hill going around a bend with negative camber, the rotors, springs, calipers, etc are just not up to the task - period. There are a lot of people I see who "think" they're pulling a ton of weight, but their trailer is half the size of mine and not built as heavy, they are hauling less bikes, and less fuel. 8000lbs is a lot of weight. Make no mistake. "Tow packages" don't do anything for the diameter or the thickness of your brake rotors. Nothing. I own both 1/2T and 3/4T trucks. The 3/4T rotors are fully 3/4" "thicker" at a minimum. Two packages give you things like tranny coolers, a little heavier springs, etc. Nothing of consequence in terms of how the vehicle will actually "tow".

Think about this. You can get away with a lot of things "with no problem". Until you have a problem. Wendy is looking to "get" a vehicle - which is a far different conversation than if she already had one, and was trying to force the peg into the hole. For what Wendy is talking about, I'm not sure I'd recommend a diesel either- but just be prepared for eating a lot of fuel. But if it's 8000 lbs, IMHO that is simply too much weight behind a 1/2T truck - period.

BTW, take the above with a grain of salt. You kind of think about these things differently when you've been in situation having pulled more than 20 tons.... It kind of makes you understand the forces at work....

buzz-06

@CBRtist, if your concern for commuting is fuel economy, those V8's aren't that great. My ram with a Cummins gets 18-19hwy and 16-17 everywhere else all the time. Towing I average 10-12 depending on the terrain. I'm a firm believer in buying more than you need when it comes to tow vehicles. You're better off not worrying about how much that next hill is gonna suck, or how close you are to the towing capacity of the vehicle..... I'm 100% with @wmhjr, you won't catch me towing 8000lb with a 1/2 ton.

borislav

Control Rider
The problem here is that you guys are focusing on your towing needs not on OP's.
When I posted to get vehicle with towing package I was thinking what will work for her and her short trip towing and commuting requirements sufficiently.
Just a food for thought!;)

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
The problem here is that you guys are focusing on your towing needs not on OP's.
When I posted to get vehicle with towing package I was thinking what will work for her and her short trip towing and commuting requirements sufficiently.
Just a food for thought!;)

I don't see where she specified short trips while towing.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
That's because she didn't specify short trips......

Pretty sure I wasn't thinking about my towing needs - recall my point about a diesel not necessarily being the best choice for her. I gotta go over some HILLS brother! A diesel is the only solution for me. For somebody else, it's a "depends" thing (and not talking about underwear). The full size diesels like the Cummins, Duramax and Powerstroke make hauling easy, and the diesels can last a long time. However, when they need maintenance it can be pricey, diesel fuel is more expensive these days, and the price of admission is high. I'll always have one. But the big gassers can pull pretty well too - they just consume gas like my R1 consumes tires. And gas.

CBRtist

Thanks Bo. I don't think I articulated myself correctly though. I did say scoot around short trips but I meant that both in distance and stay. Meaning, I'd take it to NJ (which is an hour away) and also if it is just me and Ria for a little longer destinations (like 6 hours) for a a couple of days. If I'm camping and hanging out for 3 days tacked on to a vacation. I'm taking the 5th wheel.

8000# is my MAX loaded on hauler. I don't think I'll come anywhere close to that on average trip within 1 adult, 1 child, a 300, 600, and 50, snacks, water, and the basics. I was just looking for a happy medium, not a lifestyle choice lol. I also don't carry 1/4 of the gas, tools, a wardrobe of gear, or tires that you all do riding stock, at novice speeds lol. This is all info I should have included when John let me know I was opening a can of worms.

That being said, and if things get hairy, I do have a F350 at my disposal that can haul more (and the 5th wheel) if worse comes to worse. I was just considering middle-of-the-road options with this new tow and wanted feedback. Also, not sure if I mentioned... but I lease my vehicles, don't purchase. Currently I'm considering a 1500 crew cab Silverado with 9200# towing capacity. Will go to 2500 if I must.

Last edited:

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Well you keep giving us new info that will keep changing our (or at least my) opinion...but if you have access to a F350 for the times you'll need a truck (towing), why not get something more DD friendly and forgo the towing requirement for the new vehicle altogether?

Gotta keep mixing it up...keep ya on your toes. :D

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
For what it's worth, coming from a person with a tow rig made in '04...

I can't believe the price tag on these new 1/2 tons, of any brand. Ridiculous. Yeah, they got some cool features...but damn! You pay for it. You start weighing the option of getting the 3/4 ton, and it's almost like "why not?" The body is literally exactly the same size, it is not any "bigger" of a truck. Same frame (size wise). I've never understood that argument, wanting a 1/2 ton vs a 3/4 because they "don't need such a big truck". I'm just like...umm..... :confused: Now if you're comparing a danger ranger to a F150 or 250, ok now we have a physical size difference.

sti2.5ldohc

I tow quite a bit in my landscaping business. My 03 Silverado 1500 pulls 5k okay but anything more and it begins to be unsafe. Now my dad picked up a 2017 Silverado 1500. That seems to handle weight much better and I think towing the occasional 8k would be okay.

My .02

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
What Bill and others have said. Max tow weight is a complete joke (current numbers should be illegal). I do not like towing 7500+ lbs with my 1/2 ton Suburban, and then there is getting to tracks like PittRace that will tax your motor/drivetrain/suspension to the limits.

The real problem is when "something goes wrong" and you have an oh-shit moment. You don't want to be on the wrong end of that equation.

I can’t even begin to imagine the poor guy who hooks up his 13,000lb RV to his 4200lb truck to go on a camping trip. You want a tow vehicle to stop a trailer that weighs 3x as much. It’s been a long time since physics class but that don’t add up. Most people don’t think about the stopping power available. Brakes haven’t changed much and the LT tires most people put on the new trucks are not designed to tow that much weight.

The tow rating war is going to get people hurt. Not to mention that you’ll need a day of vacation tho recover from the white knuckle drive home.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Personally, I'd go for a slightly bigger camper. Ria's not going to get any smaller. That's a nice little rig, but if they make one 3 to 5 feet bigger that comes with a slide out for the kitchek or something, I think you'd be MUCH happier. Alex growing was a factor in my decision to get a larger camper last year. Nothing drastically different, but maybe something in the 20 foot range?

There's an RV show this weekend at the Maryland State Fairgrounds if you're bored.

Tim Wilson towed the hell out of his toy hauler (About a 30 footer) with his 3/4 ton Silverado with the 6 liter Chevy V8 in it for a LOT of years. He got 6-8mpg. That would give you the heavier chassis without the diesel extra cost, DEF, etc. I think his truck was a 2006. He's upgraded to a diesel for 2018. The 3/4 ton may also afford you greater range than a 1/2 ton of the choices you mentioned if it comes with a larger fuel tank.

Menotomy

World's Okayest Racer
Control Rider
I'm sure others have mentioned this, I didn't read every post, but also look hard at max payload. Once you factor in weight of gear, equipment, and passengers in the vehicle, you may not have much room for the tongue weight of the trailer on the truck. This would be important for an SUV for crew cab pickup where the weight of the vehicle itself takes away from the payload capacity available for the trailer. I've found on some 1/2ton trucks you'll hit payload capacity way before you ever reach max towing. That's a lot of wear on the suspension.

Also, and I understand money and fuel mileage is a factor, towing near the edge of a truck's capacity will really shorten its longevity or require more maintenance which will cost more in the long run. A 3/4ton may be overkill (gas or diesel) but it's going to last longer, especially if you're going to the track often.

CBRtist

Not to throw further information out there again, but I realize unmentioned info as it comes ups in this thread (which makes it all the more helpful to me)... I lease vehicles, not purchase, so longevity... wear and tear... etc, isn't a major factor.

This is a "super lite" toy hauler. Max is 8000#.... not loaded it's 1/2+ this weight. I quoted the 8000# in worst case scenario. Tow vehicle can tow 9200#, so I was thinking I was good and overcompensating.

@DZum - I don't get the "growth" thing. We're talking about 2-3 days at the track where you use the vehicle to eat and sleep. Most of the time Ria isn't even IN it and checks back for food (when she's not eating with strangers). Sleeps in it 8 hours maybe. 2-3 adults could hang comfortably at the track in it for a weekend or an impoverished family of 4 could live in it for a month easily. If she's going to complain about "room" with getting the opportunity to do track, while her school friends are holed up in a tent on family camping weekends chasing butterflies with a net in 90 degree heat for thrills...well, then I'll just call her out as plain spoiled LOL. How much "room" does a 10 year old need????? Or a 14 year old for that matter when grown men are packing it in like sardines in a trailer LOL???? For the most part, kids that age are holed up in a corner that a greyhound could curl up in, for hours playing on devices.

Bottom line... I'm pushing 50. I'm basically a single parent hauling my racer kid solo around and lucky to get occasional rides in myself, carefully budgeting, and exhausted as hell trying to find a happy medium between something that will haul our needs but not stress me out in regards to size. Maybe I'm chasing a unicorn, but thought I'd ask.

Ottoman was right. Open can... worms everywhere. Regardless... I got incredible insight from every post and thank you all!

Menotomy

World's Okayest Racer
Control Rider
Just curious where you're getting your tow ratings from. You mentioned looking at Tahoe/Yukon and Silverado. The former (for newer models) is closer to 6k lbs max towing and the latter is 11k, at least according to Caranddriver. Or are you talking about your current vehicle (not sure you mentioned what it is)?

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Kids grow....they change. What seems to be a solution for now may not be a solution for later.

When Alex was 4 and he started coming to the track with me...my old camper was fine. Now at 7, he's doubled in size, has his own bike, we have a dog,
we seem to be bringing ever so slightly more stuff/things with us. So, I was just tossing it out there that maybe a few more feet of camper as Ria grows
may keep your little camper from feeling even smaller in 3-5 or so years.

It was just something to consider as you put your new travel package together...that's all.

CBRtist

Kids grow....they change. What seems to be a solution for now may not be a solution for later.

When Alex was 4 and he started coming to the track with me...my old camper was fine. Now at 7, he's doubled in size, has his own bike, we have a dog,
we seem to be bringing ever so slightly more stuff/things with us. So, I was just tossing it out there that maybe a few more feet of camper as Ria grows
may keep your little camper from feeling even smaller in 3-5 or so years.

It was just something to consider as you put your new travel package together...that's all.

Totally get it. I do have a big ass 5th wheel hauler in case those growing pains kick in (God forbid lol). Just trying to downsize and do the "less is more" for a majority of trips we can easily manage. Don't get me wrong... appreciate the input!