The Belly Pan - The NESBA Online Magazine

kubricky

Control Rider
Director
theBellyPan is Live!

Visit the thebellypan.com

I am pretty excited and look forward to this having something for everyone.

As this evolves there will be more special guests, more riding questions will be answered, and as always all of us will strive to make this as professional and polished as the rest of the NESBA organization.

I am much less computer literate and creative than I give myself credit for and without the help of many people the site simply would't be as professional, flowing, and well thought as it has become.

Rob Cichielo is really the creativity, webmaster, content developer and a number of other big words behind what you see when you log in. I was expecting to have the site evolve as we launched but his work has really made the site easy to read, well-focused, and easy to manage and we all agree that the site has reached matured and is something to be proud of.

The CR Profile page is evolving and the bios will be updated as they are created but I wanted to make sure everyone knew that Matt Heyer put a great deal of time into gathering this information and developing the bio pages you will see. Together Matt and Rob built the infrastructure for the Profiles pages and have worked to populate the pages for everyone.

None of us care to be in the spotlight and as such the boys certainly wouldn't say anything so I thought it important to let everyone know how much time and effort both Rob and Matt have put into this. Any of you that know me should how much of a PIA I can be, give Rob a special thanks for putting up with it to make this site what it is.

There are others who have contributed, helped, and I expect will help a great deal more as this takes off. For those that have contributed thanks, and for those that want to, please feel free and pass along your comments.

There is a great deal planned for the future, visit often!

Kordyte

That sounds pretty cool... possibly reviews could be added for all sorts of trackday-related items, from trailers to rearsets to tires and bikes? Plenty of us have access to reviews of sportbike-related products, but it would be cool to see something focused for the rider/bike that WILL be on the track.

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
kubricky;125201 wrote: Folks,

We would also be interested in hearing whatever you can tell us about how you use the internet and other news/information sites as it may help us in developing this new tool.
Excellent idea Chris!! Hoping some of the material you shared this past weekend will be included!!:idea:

trickyricky

I think the tech tips section and how-to videos are a great resource for all levels. How about a section that looks at the paddock? Interesting pit set ups, track day supporters, basically, something giving an insight on what goes on while you are not on the track.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Perhaps an article outlining what someone needs to know for their first trackday, maybe a link to the rider's manual, and answers to the typical first questions. Stress looking over your bike and making sure things like the oil plug are properly tightened. Include the importance of considering doing more than required such as coolant swap and safety wiring (the how-to on that you've already mentioned could be included as a link).

All the other things you mentioned sound great!! I love the idea of CR bios, and videos of hot laps, and the tech items.

Meat

Kordyte;125226 wrote: That sounds pretty cool... possibly reviews could be added for all sorts of trackday-related items, from trailers to rearsets to tires and bikes?
I have nothing to do with the online magazine but I can see a problem with this. The problem would be that the online magazine could not recommend a product that was a direct competitor to a nesba sponsor. And, if only nesba sponsors' products were recommended, without explicitly stating they are a sponsor, then the video/article would be an infomercial, which I think would end up casting a bad light on nesba in the long run. Good for sponsors short term, but bad for nesba long term.

But, if in each edition a sponsor was showcased that could be a way to please everyone.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Meat;125244 wrote: I have nothing to do with the online magazine but I can see a problem with this. The problem would be that the online magazine could not recommend a product that was a direct competitor to a nesba sponsor. And, if only nesba sponsors' products were recommended, without explicitly stating they are a sponsor, then the video/article would be an infomercial, which I think would end up casting a bad light on nesba in the long run. Good for sponsors short term, but bad for nesba long term.

But, if in each addition a sponsor was showcased that could be a way to please everyone.
Excellent point. :agree:

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
Meat;125244 wrote: I have nothing to do with the online magazine but I can see a problem with this. The problem would be that the online magazine could not recommend a product that was a direct competitor to a nesba sponsor. And, if only nesba sponsors' products were recommended, without explicitly stating they are a sponsor, then the video/article would be an infomercial, which I think would end up casting a bad light on nesba in the long run. Good for sponsors short term, but bad for nesba long term.

But, if in each addition a sponsor was showcased that could be a way to please everyone.
Wow....now that is deep...

i pictured the scene from old school when will ferrell is in the debate competition.....

meowculpa

Meat;125244 wrote: .... if only nesba sponsors' products were recommended, without explicitly stating they are a sponsor, then the video/article would be an infomercial, which I think would end up casting a bad light on nesba in the long run. Good for sponsors short term, but bad for nesba [and sponsors] long term.
Good point. I think the psychological phenomenon is called "Sleeper Effect"..
this is something that the org needs to be wary of during aggressive marketing.

kubricky

Control Rider
Director
Very interesting point and a great suggestion to highlight a sponsor. That calls into light other things "behind the scenes" if you will that may be of concern, but that is the kind of feedback I am looking for.

This makes a few statements:

- members consider this their club and ultimately there is some brand loyalty not only to NESBA but to our sponsors. This is a great thing!
- all of the clubs, organizations, stores, associations, websites, media, etc., that do this already without concern for "leaving a bad taste" with their audience and are still able to survive is not how members view NESBA and should not be how the staff at NESBA view NESBA! This is interesting because the sleeper effect pertains mainly to a directed marketing message. The product reviews as noted above says nothing of the sort. This tells me that you are thinking about how the club is perceived and how we allows ourselves to be percieved.

In my opinion, that means a great deal.

I think the highlight of a sponsor might be a way to begin -- thank you for the suggestion as it will make as many parties happy as possible.

This could then lend itself to product reviews -- certainly it would start with sponsor items, but with full disclosure and letting the reader/viewer know this.

If this could lead to true product comparisons, I think we would be doing our jobs. It would drive our sponsors to build faith in their product, strive to be the very best, and offer explanation/detail in the event that an item didn't perform as well as a competitor in a given area of test.

Again, these are just quick thoughts, I'd have to think about this a bit, but that is an excellent suggestion and great feedback...thanks!

Chris:

The on-line zine is a great idea.

From the track walks, how to safety wire, etc. There are really endless possibilities.

I think a section that features those track day riders who ride older (i.e. 90's) machines and why could be interesting.

Even a one page blurb each issue that covers how a track day rider 'saves' money since this hobby can get a bit expensive.

BZ

rk97

I really like the idea of track videos with Control Rider commentary. I can find videos of tracks on YouTube, but that doesn't mean whoever posted it is on the proper line...

Ideally, I think a track video would include:

- a slowed-down lap (video slowed down, not pace) with CR commentary on reference points, gear changes, etc.

- a real-time lap with the same commentary, but probably more brief, since everything is happening faster (no bike audio)

- then a few flying laps in real-time, with bike audio (comments optional?)

- and (dare to dream) a track map in the corner of the screen, so you can see, "oh, he's in turn 4 right now" throughout the video.

jas0336

I like the ideas mentioned so far. I think it would be cool to talk to/interview riders....
when someone saves a low/high side, what did they do
when someone gets bumped, what helped them
etc etc

rk97;125299 wrote: I really like the idea of track videos with Control Rider commentary. I can find videos of tracks on YouTube, but that doesn't mean whoever posted it is on the proper line...

Ideally, I think a track video would include:

- a slowed-down lap (video slowed down, not pace) with CR commentary on reference points, gear changes, etc.

- a real-time lap with the same commentary, but probably more brief, since everything is happening faster (no bike audio)

- then a few flying laps in real-time, with bike audio (comments optional?)

- and (dare to dream) a track map in the corner of the screen, so you can see, "oh, he's in turn 4 right now" throughout the video.

Just slow it down with your player and add in your own foul language. Kind of like Mystery Bike Theater 3000.

http://www.ronhix.com/vids.html

jfeagin

Good ideas!

I'd love to see track walk and hot lap vids done, as others have said, by a CR. If one of the riding laps was done slowly, say 1st lap of 1st session B group pace, this could be instead of a walk vid.

At some point, a feature on how weather might affect your ride. Not just being extra smooth in the rain, but how cold might affect tire pressures, etc.

Related to the idea about folks riding 90's bikes, advice about what to look for when buying a used bike. Especially a used track/race bike.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
How's about a little "NESBA...In The Beginning"

I wanna know how this all started. When did Bob Blandford, Dutch, Garth and the other Founding Fathers all get together in the early 90's with their mullets and discuss forming NESBA over a few beers while watching Head Banger's Ball on MTV?

What about the first few events? Anybody got pictures? Where were the first few events?

What region was first? Second? Third?

Any pictures of Moon with a mullet?

I think a little trip down Memory Lane like that would be cool for all of us members old and new to understand just what we're a part of.

Whatever inspired these Gents to put this all together I, for one, believe I have a right to know..because they've cost me more money than anything else has ever cost me. Divorce was a bargain compared to this......if it were not for NESBA I wouldn't have to work NEARLY as hard as I do.

But...I would NOT trade this for ANYTHING. I've had more fun and more fun with the best people in the world. NESBA brought us all together....so tell us a story Uncle Bob..Uncle Dutch..Uncle Garth.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
I got some indepth feedback from Buck last year at BeaveRun and improved my second day there significantly.

I know some CR's ride by feel and soem look for dedicated markers..nevertheless, I think something like this for every track would be beneficial

Buck's Review

pearsonm

Anything that makes NESBA more useful to a rider is only going suck more people in and grow the sport. I think the tech walk-around with CR’s is a brilliant first idea. In the area I live the local tech inspects are relatively lax, so I believe one of the hurdles we’re facing here in the Mid Central region is that when a potential recruit reads thru the NESBA rider’s manual they get uptight about passing tech.

I enjoy learning how to do the things the right way so I’d love to have a library of How-To’s from people who know what they’re talking about. Little secrets like twisting the end of safety wire tight before starting the next hole, priming an oil filter, how much to flare the end of a master link, why chains are always a 1/8" tighter after you torque down the axle nut and how much to tighten a brake bleeder valve would all be extremely useful.

Obviously, riding tips would be very useful. Everyone learns differently, but I’m a visual person and I’d kill to have an on-board lap of Barber (for example) with a freeze frame and flashing red arrow pointing to where in the blue hell I’m supposed to be looking at for a turn-in point to turn 14.