The Rossi Hamilton swap

bmart

Control Rider
I'm sure that some of you have read about this story.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/147657/video-watch-hamilton-rossi-swap-machines

Hamilton's lap on the M1
https://us.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...lap-riding-rossis-yamaha-motogp-bike/4615143/

How'd Rossi do the F1 car?
https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/935179/1/rossi-meticulous-mercedes-f1-debut

“Valentino's approach was very meticulous," Vowles said. "He got the fundamentals right first in terms of getting the car to where he wanted it to be on track and controlling it, and then just intuitively braking later and carrying more speed into the corner, almost like I imagine he does with a MotoGP bike, and it's very impressive to watch.

"It is really the sign of a true master that he's not out of control and progressively finding performance. Throughout the day, he had areas of strengths. One of them was braking late and carrying speed into the corner, he's really good at that.

No official lap times were released, but Sky Sports F1 states that Rossi spun three times on the way to setting a best time 1.5s off Hamilton in the same Mercedes car.

Meanwhile, Hamilton is said to have had one 'little spin' on his way to a best time 4s slower than Rossi had been on the M1, around what is a 'longer' lap compared to the quicker F1 car. For comparison, Michael Schumacher lapped within five seconds of the then Valencia MotoGP record on an 800cc Ducati in November 2007.

Icing on the cake, Rossi, his brother and his best friend take a win.
https://www.autosport.com/gt/news/147624/motogp-legend-rossi-takes-gulf-12-hours-class-win

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
Rossi’s Ferrari race car in your last link is beautiful. I go to sports car races every year and am actually hitting a bucket list item this year with going to the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June.

Amazing how fast these professionals can adapt to other forms of motor sports. I think learning to ride a motorcycle proficiently would be more difficult than driving a car. So kudos to Hamilton on that although I know he’s ridden motorcycles before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bmart

Control Rider
The GP guys have had these 4 wheel opportunities for some time now. Here are a few:

Rossi info stolen from Wikipedia-

Rossi tested the Ferrari Formula One car in 2006 on 31 January 1 February, and 2 February at Valencia. The first test saw Rossi spin out on the damp track into the gravel trap, ending his day. On the second day, he posted the ninth fastest time of fifteen drivers, approximately one second behind Michael Schumacher, who himself was third fastest. Rossi lapped faster than seasoned drivers Red Bull Racing's Mark Webber and David Coulthard and Toyota F1's Jarno Trulli.[409] On the final day of testing, Rossi was just a little more than a half second behind Schumacher's best time.[410] Schumacher hailed Rossi as having immense talent and said he would be perfectly capable of moving to Formula One and being competitive immediately.

In May 2006, Rossi announced that he would be staying in MotoGP until he felt his work on the motorbike was "finished." Ferrari driver Schumacher said that he felt "saddened" by Rossi's decision but supported it. Rossi subsequently signed a new contract with Yamaha for the 2007 and 2008 seasons, then for 2009 and 2010.

Beyond his interest in F1, Rossi's strong passion is for rallying. In Rossi's youth one of his heroes was WRC Champion Colin McRae. Rally legend McRae taught Rossi the basics of driving a rally car.[411] The two competed against each other at the 2005 Monza Rally Show, with McRae driving a Skoda Fabia WRC and Rossi winning in a Subaru Impreza WRC.[412] His first official foray into rallying came in 2002 at WRC Rally Great Britain in a Peugeot 206 WRC, in which he crashed out on the second stage (first non-superspecial stage).

In October 2006 it was announced that Rossi would enter that year's Rally New Zealand, a WRC event, which was to run from 17–19 November.[413] He competed in a Subaru Impreza WRC04 finishing 11th out of 39. In 2006 Rossi also won the Monza Rally Show driving a Ford Focus RS WRC 04. He beat the 2005 winner Rinaldo Capello by 24 seconds, winning five of the seven stages on his way. He also managed to outpace former WRC champion Didier Auriol by seven seconds in the head-to-head Master Show final. Rossi also announced at the 2006 Monza Rally Show, that he would be entering the 2007 Rally of Great Britain, however, he later opted out. At the 2007 Monza Rally, Rossi again took first place.

Rossi had been linked with a move to both Formula One and the World Rally Championship in 2007, having tested for Ferrari and competed in a number of rally events.[414]

But Rossi decided to remain in MotoGP; "I have a contract with Yamaha until 2008," said Rossi. "When that finishes then we will see. What I am sure about is that I will ride until I'm 31 or 32 at most. I will look for new stimuli in the next few seasons, but for now I am fully motivated".[415] Rossi signed a new two-year contract confirming he will be at Yamaha until 2010.[416] He originally planned to use the Impreza WRC2008 during his participation in the Rally GB in December 2008,[417] but decided to drive a Ford Focus RS WRC 07 instead.[418] He finished the rally in 12th place, 13 minutes and 20.4 seconds behind eventual winner Sébastien Loeb.[419]

Rossi tested a Ferrari F2008 at Mugello Circuit on 20 and 21 November 2008, as a gift from Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali to celebrate his 8th world title. On the first day Rossi completed over 20 laps, and set a best time of 1:22.5, only 1.5 seconds off Kimi Räikkönen's best time set at Ferrari's previous Mugello test.[420] The second day was interrupted by rain, but Rossi still managed to set a best time of 1:24.04.[421]

In January 2010, Rossi has said that once he retires from motorcycle racing, he hopes to move into rallying. "There are not many changes in a man's body between 22 and 34 so I still have some time left. I would consider shifting to cars, probably rallying, after that before I finally decide to take it easy ... I know F1 would've been easier but by the time I finish MotoGP, I will be too old for F1."[422] Stefano Domenicali, Ferrari's Formula One Team principal, however, reasserted his wish to have a third Ferrari on the F1 grid driven by Rossi, whilst confirming that Rossi would test an older Ferrari F1 car on 21 and 22 January 2010.[423] At the aforementioned test at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Rossi once again drove a Ferrari F2008 on GP2 tyres, setting a best laptime within 0.1 seconds of Kimi Räikkönen's 2008 pole time.[424]

In March 2010, the Italian minister Franco Frattini government awarded Rossi the first Winning Italy Award for the image he portrays of his country on an international level.[425]

In 2013, Rossi was given a special test of Kyle Busch's NASCAR Nationwide Series stock car at Charlotte Motor Speedway in Charlotte, North Carolina. Rossi achieved a top speed of 185 miles per hour, a speed which would have put him in the top fifteen of a Nationwide Series race.[426]

In December 2019, Rossi got the chance to swap rides with six-time F1 world champion Lewis Hamilton at Circuit Ricardo Tormo, as part of a sponsor event. He completed several laps in a 2017 Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power+, while Hamilton rode a Yamaha YZR-M1, identical to the one Rossi rode in the 2019 MotoGP season. Press were locked out of the event, so laptimes weren't made public.[427][428]

Later in the same week, Rossi competed in the 2019 Gulf 12 Hour at Yas Marina Circuit, behind the wheel of a Ferrari 488 GT3 ran by Kessel Racing. His co-drivers were his half-brother and Moto2 rider, Luca Marini, and Alessio Salucci. Rossi set the team's fastest laptime in qualifying, securing seventh place overall on the grid. Despite a shaky start with some lost positions, the team were in the lead of the Pro-Am class at the halfway point. A few technical issues in the Pro-class left the VR46 car in a battle for the final overall podium place with Spirit Race Team's Audi R8 LMS Evo. Rossi got into the car for the final stint and drove the car to an overall 3rd place and a win in the Pro-Am class, despite picking up a five-second time penalty.[429]

Marquez and Pedrosa in 2018
https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/18508https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/18508

Jorge Lorenzo in 2016
https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/l...ive-times-in-mercedes-f1-test-835903/3000575/

An interesting read:
https://www.motorcyclesports.net/motogp/motogp-motogp/physical-differences-motogp-f1-pilots/

Is it 202o yet?

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
I think Kenny Roberts Sr jumped in a F1 car years ago to scare Yamaha that he'd leave. Funny how the money wasn't an issue anymore. LOL

LooseChain

So there will probably never be another John Surtees, IMO.

Do you think they turned on the wet weather setting on Rossi’s ride? My guess is yes. Also heard HAM crashed Rossi’s bike.

Having done both in my race-prepped Datsun 510 and a motorcycle (been street and dirt riding since the 80’s), I just don’t see a car guy automatically doing well on a bike. It’s just so different.

Watching a lot of MotoGP and F1, I won’t call HAM the GOAT until he leaves Mercedes and wins a championship at Ferrari-ALO is better at driving a less than perfect car IMO.