Tip over disaster...

After staying uprite all day yesterday at NJMP which was surprising because of the conditions i roll back to our pit and attempt to place my bike on its stand ...it happened...that thing that i knew was an eventuality... I leaned over to align the stand to spools and lost it..the bike slammed down ...dam i thought...luckily it fell into the mud and dirt i figured...a nice young lady named Beth with a cute little dog happened to see it..she came over and helped me gather my bike up and place it on the stand..i give it a good look over...nothing seems broke...its all muddy but its ok...i thought..next session..last session luckily..not long into the session something is really wrong..no power ...no acceleration..really weird stuff going on..i roll onto the grass and lean it up against a hay bail..i won't make it around to pit in..session is over.. The retrieval crew arrives..i think i can ride it back to pit..i do that...i notice on that ride back to the pit that my right side rearset is loose..wow..that's weird i thought...upon further investigation..it. isn't loose..it isn't broken..the frame tabs that the rearset mounts to are damaged...broken..its sand cast aluminum there....what to do ? Can cast aluminum be welded?..certainly a person doesn't need a new frame does he ? This can't be the first time this has happened to someone...what did you do to repair ?

tdelegram

Control Rider
A good tig welder can fix you up, google welders in your local area as well as machine shops. It might cost you up to $200 but far cheaper than a frame.

Yeah...not really wanting to do a frame swap.....maybe i can get a tig welder from Harbor Freight ? Haha just kidding..i will look your suggestion...ty tdelegram

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
A good tig welder can fix you up, google welders in your local area as well as machine shops. It might cost you up to $200 but far cheaper than a frame.
+1 and while the welder is there ask them if they have any suggestions for additional bracing like a piece of plate aluminum on the backside.

CBRtist

Wow. So sorry to hear this. I hope you get this remedied. It was nice to meet you BTW and I hope better TDs are ahead for you!

R1Baby

Control Rider
This is why during the riders meeting and in the N2 manual it states, "If you bike touches the ground for any reason, it needs to go back through tech inspection." This is for your safety and everyone else's on the track.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Great point R1baby. It is stated at the riders meeting that even if you drop your bike in the pits it should be reteched. Since it wasn't an on track crash, I sort of understand the confusion, however.

Hope you get your bike fixed soon.

General reminder to all: it's the beginning of a new season. Whether you're a new rider or seasoned veteran, please take a few minutes to re-read the riders manual. It's a good refresher and sometimes things check. Hell, I read it at the beginning of every season.
Now I have to go check it again to see if it addresses in paddock tipovers specifically.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Same thing happened to someone I know, got it welded and was good to go. That rhyme wasn't intentional. :D

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Wow, as soon as I read that I thought...We should have caught that when he re-tech'ed his bike like I told them..........Oh wait......dammit! I missed that in the Riders meeting. Sorry. Glad Beth and Bella were able to help you get it back up. Anything can be fixed with the right tools.

Update...got ahold of a local welding guru by asking around our shop and our suppliers....same name kept popping up. Gave him a call..he came by my work and i showed him on my 750 where the mounts were broke on the 600.. He said, " oh hellyeah i can weld that". Dropped the 600 off at his shop and couple days later it was done... He charged me 180 which is fair i think. I gave him 200 bucks and a sincere thank you...asked him if i or anyone else needed his services again can they contact him and he said sure thing.. So if anyone has a similar mishap pm me and i will give you his number... See you all at NJMP at July's end.