Tire flipping

Chris CBR996

Here is an age old question for you guys. I have a buddy who inquired about flipping his tires due to the excess wear from right turns. I heard of people doing it years ago with the Dunlops, but what about the B-stones BT002RS's? Anyone doing it? Pros - cons?

JVance

I do it on the 002 race tires. I haven't had an issue. Just be sure to do it before the right side is completely toast. As soon as the right get's to about 50% flip it then. You still have left turns. Don't wait until the right gets to 75%.

Brian Laws

Not a problem - flip it! Just make sure you have some life left on the right before it becomes your left. Treat it like a new tire the first few laps and you will be fine.

Jiggy

Control Rider
Rain!

No problem with flipping.....until it gets wet. Be sure you are not running a flipped tire in the rain- its my understanding that there is no water dissapation due to the reversed tread grooves.

Quantum_Ape

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone is flipping Pilot Powers (2CT and not). I don't see a reason why any one tire would be different when it comes to flipping. But i thought i would ask anyway instead of finding out the hard way.

Also i would like to confirm Jiggy's statement about the groovs. From my understanding as well, the grooves disperse the watter and in reverse is likely to cause hydroplaning. But this wouldn't be an issue when dry, or on race tires since they don't have groovs.

Jiggy

Control Rider
2ct

been running the 2CT's for 2 years now and have flipped the rear 3 times with no issues. The tire felt the same and wore the same.

rk97

Jiggy;2993 wrote: No problem with flipping.....until it gets wet. Be sure you are not running a flipped tire in the rain- its my understanding that there is no water dissapation due to the reversed tread grooves.
unless you're tracking a goldwing and have a reverse gear :p

those things are small-cars!

Quantum_Ape

Thanks Jiggy! I appreciate the info. Thats good news, especially for when I'm on Summit Point JC. The right side of my tire gets quite the workout while the left doesn't even realize we're on a track :D

Jiggy

Control Rider
Da Beaver

You think JC is bad on the right, wait till you do an SE event at Beaver Run. From what it looks like now, NJMP-Thunderbolt is going to be hell on the right side as well.