Tire warmer question

Scb762

If my riding scares you, just imagine how I feel
I’m running novice group and don’t bother with my tire warmers but with track day next week (10/8) at PittRace, should I run my warmers on my DOT tires (Q3s or Rosso3 - depending on which bike I use) just to help with the colder temps?

Motofun352

Control Rider
Just use some (un)common sense....even with warmers the tires will cool down substantially waiting to go out. I think it's wise to treat the cold morning sessions like it's raining. After the first session, immediately after getting off the track, feel your tire temperatures. You may be surprised with the results and this will help you judge how to go in the future sessions.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
It won't hurt but it might not help all that much easier. Main reason that comes to mind is how early you leave your pit. If you're going to head down to the grid on first call, your tires are going to be cold before you even get out on track as you sit on pit row for 5+ minutes. And in a case like that, it might actually be more of a detriment than help, because in your head, you think your tires are hot. Now, if you waited a minute or two, and went out right as bikes were heading on course, that could be a help.

I find it very unlikely you'll make Q3's/Rosso's greasy even if you had single temp tire warmers with the temps we're forecasted to have. Given ambient temps, combined with average Novice group pace, I don't think you won't be pushing the tires hard enough for them to be greasy.