tire warmers

MARK65

I was looking at a set of STG tire warmers, just seeing if anyone has had any experience with them. Good or bad.
thank you

bmart

Control Rider
I've used many brands and levels and I can tell you this, it is like Russian roulette. Each has good and bad features and even though I treat mine better than I see most people treat theirs, all of mine have been in for warranty/repairs many times. Stitching comes out. Switches fail. They just stop making heat...or worse make only some of the heat. Lights aren't visible or go out. For a simple product, they sure seem to have a hard time making them work consistently. I suspect it is the overseas manufacturing.

My best advice for warmers is two things. 1) if you're going to use them, buy two sets so that you can get through a track weekend of consistent temps/pressures if one warmer fails you. 2) never ever roll out without checking temp/PSI (they correlate), and doing a manual check with your hand that they are HOT. I know more than one rider who "trusted the lights" and promptly went out and had a major crash with multiple broken bones.

bmart

Control Rider
Note that there are different levels from all of the companies. I'd call them and ask about how the STG ones compare to their CH branded ones.

Str8_Lurkin

Personally use woodcraft. My chicken hawks took a dump after babying them. I prefer woodcraft largely due to the warranty and the cost of repairs :).

bmart

Control Rider
As you can see, Russian roulette. It seems like a relatively simple product. I suspect that failures are due more to manufacturing than design. They each have + and -. Good luck!

2blueyam

I have 2 sets of Woodcraft. One set is 9 years old. I did send them in for a new cord and switch, but otherwise they are still great. New set hasn’t got much use yet.

I use an old set of single temp Chickens on my SV, as the WCs are a little baggy on the 160 rear. I may go back to the WCs now that I have a 180 rear on the SV.

I have heard good things about Moto-D warmers if you are on a budget, but no long term reviews like my WCs.

wfoerk

Kind of a dead thread but I'll ask anyway: Do I want single temp or adjustable temp warmers?
Thanks in advance-

bmart

Control Rider
My $.02 is that nearly anyone can do just fine with single temp. I bring two bikes and leave one on warm as the backup and the other on high for the portion of the day that I'm using it. I find this handy, but if I were just running one bike, it is always on high.

I can't speak for other brands, but Dunlops don't really heat cycle anymore. I'm running 5+ year old fronts without any issue (as are a number of buddies/coaches I know), and they've been heated cooled MANY times.

Here's the data on one of my Q3 rears, nearly 800 miles and MANY on/offs-heat cycles:
Start DateStop DateStart MilesStop MilesTotal MilesTrack
10/04/19​
10/07/19​
4,537​
4,629​
92​
NC Bike CW
10/19/19​
10/20/19​
4,629​
4,738​
109​
Road Atlanta
06/18/20​
06/21/20​
7,942​
8,015​
73​
CMP
06/25/20​
06/27/20​
8,015​
8,058​
43​
VIR South
07/06/20​
07/06/20​
8,058​
8,072​
14​
VIR North
07/24/20​
07/26/20​
8,072​
8,270​
198​
NC Bike CCW
08/29/20​
08/30/20​
8,270​
8,429​
159​
CMP-repaved
09/18/20​
09/19/20​
8,429​
8,508​
79​
NC Bike CCW

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Agree with Brad about single temp. I can't think of one time where I wouldn't want to leave them on high throughout the day.

McTrackPack

CR #171
Control Rider
My $.02 is that nearly anyone can do just fine with single temp. I bring two bikes and leave one on warm as the backup and the other on high for the portion of the day that I'm using it. I find this handy, but if I were just running one bike, it is always on high.

I can't speak for other brands, but Dunlops don't really heat cycle anymore. I'm running 5+ year old fronts without any issue (as are a number of buddies/coaches I know), and they've been heated cooled MANY times.

Here's the data on one of my Q3 rears, nearly 800 miles and MANY on/offs-heat cycles:
Start DateStop DateStart MilesStop MilesTotal MilesTrack
10/04/19​
10/07/19​
4,537​
4,629​
92​
NC Bike CW
10/19/19​
10/20/19​
4,629​
4,738​
109​
Road Atlanta
06/18/20​
06/21/20​
7,942​
8,015​
73​
CMP
06/25/20​
06/27/20​
8,015​
8,058​
43​
VIR South
07/06/20​
07/06/20​
8,058​
8,072​
14​
VIR North
07/24/20​
07/26/20​
8,072​
8,270​
198​
NC Bike CCW
08/29/20​
08/30/20​
8,270​
8,429​
159​
CMP-repaved
09/18/20​
09/19/20​
8,429​
8,508​
79​
NC Bike CCW
I know this is somewhat old but are you running warmers with the Q3s (or Q3+) too?
I’ve heard a lot of mixed opinions on that so figured I’d ask the experts :)
thanks!

bmart

Control Rider
I am on my last Q3 (not +) rear. I run them at 35.5PSI off of the 180F-190F warmers and they are superb. I think the idea with the Q line is that you don't need warmers. I can't believe that it would hurt anything. I've been running them until there is minimal/no tread left since they came out without any ill effects. They are unbelievably good tires.

McTrackPack

CR #171
Control Rider
I am on my last Q3 (not +) rear. I run them at 35.5PSI off of the 180F-190F warmers and they are superb. I think the idea with the Q line is that you don't need warmers. I can't believe that it would hurt anything. I've been running them until there is minimal/no tread left since they came out without any ill effects. They are unbelievably good tires.
Thanks! I’ve been running Q3+ and did get warmers when I bought the bike and haven’t used them but was wondering if they were ok to use with my tires, warmers are single temp 175F chicken hawk warmers. Just got me wondering if it may help on the first few laps after I took what I think was a cold tire spill on the first lap of a session. Front tire just lost it in a hurry. So maybe warmers would provide some extra “insurance” (when I get too impatient) and I already have the warmers. Some have said Q3+ would get “greasy” with warmers but I guess I would just have to try it. I‘ve been starting the day 32/30 cold, then let some air out throughout the day to keep 35/34 hot. Now if I could only determine if my front shake/hop under hard braking is my rotors or suspension related, can’t decide.....

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Warmers on Q3/Q4 tires means you don't have to go out and build pace gradually as your tires build heat.
So you go out with a little more confidence you're not going to go into T1 at Summit Point on the brakes and experience a
low side.

You'll be able to get closer to a more optimal accurate hot tire temperature PSI with a warmed tire in the pits before you go out.
Preheating and setting the pressure prior to going out with a little more accuracy may help your tires last a little longer, and save some tire costs.
Won't necessarily be all that much..but savings is savings.

Adjustable temperature warmers aren't that big of a deal. They give you an option to go to a lower temperature setting for a bit during the day for times like the Rider's Meeting and lunch break. You can also use your warmers at home if you change your own tires to put a little heat in the tire before you mount or unmount the tire to make it a little more pliable. With the Q3/Q4 tire and Dunlop in general this may be useful because that carbon fiber sidewall is more effort than other brands. And I have pneumatic changer.

And the last consideration with tire warmers.....more than likely, you're going to need spend the money on a generator because you don't know if you'll get a power pole at some tracks...and having the generator offers you more flexibility on where you can park/pit. Luckily a nice 2000W no name generator can be had for about $400ish on Amazon. I have one for my small trailer I use for MiniGP trips to NJ.

McTrackPack

CR #171
Control Rider
Warmers on Q3/Q4 tires means you don't have to go out and build pace gradually as your tires build heat.
So you go out with a little more confidence you're not going to go into T1 at Summit Point on the brakes and experience a
low side.

You'll be able to get closer to a more optimal accurate hot tire temperature PSI with a warmed tire in the pits before you go out.
Preheating and setting the pressure prior to going out with a little more accuracy may help your tires last a little longer, and save some tire costs.
Won't necessarily be all that much..but savings is savings.

Adjustable temperature warmers aren't that big of a deal. They give you an option to go to a lower temperature setting for a bit during the day for times like the Rider's Meeting and lunch break. You can also use your warmers at home if you change your own tires to put a little heat in the tire before you mount or unmount the tire to make it a little more pliable. With the Q3/Q4 tire and Dunlop in general this may be useful because that carbon fiber sidewall is more effort than other brands. And I have pneumatic changer.

And the last consideration with tire warmers.....more than likely, you're going to need spend the money on a generator because you don't know if you'll get a power pole at some tracks...and having the generator offers you more flexibility on where you can park/pit. Luckily a nice 2000W no name generator can be had for about $400ish on Amazon. I have one for my small trailer I use for MiniGP trips to NJ.
Funny you should mention that, swapping tires at home is the only time I’ve used the warmers so far and it helps :) As long as there’s low risk of Q3+ getting too “greasy“ I’ll try using the warmers next time (very carefully). I’ve already got a generator so I’m set there. Can’t be any worse than eating gravel in turn 5 at Road Atlanta on the first lap of the last session of the day when I thought I had it all figured out.... Thanks!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
I’ve crashed in the pits, T5 and T9 at Road Atlanta. Love the track. But we just cannot get along. The last T9 crash was enough for me there. That place is off my list.