Tires - When is it too old?

Zebman

I purchased a Michelin Power Race Med-Soft off of someone on R6-forum without inquiring about the manufacture date. Turns out it was made in the 8th week of 2008. :banghead:

It's never been used. What is the general consensus? If I keep it on warmers, might it be ok to use? I'm definitely a slow pace B rider, I won't be using this tire for a while, which will make it even older. I'm not sure if I should flip it to somebody who will use it soon and take a small hit, or just sit on it and use it sometime next season.

Opinions?

bmart

Control Rider
You should be fine in B group. I run them on the track as old as 5 years but not longer than that. most of my track day tire stock is 2009 dates and I run them without issue in A.

davidkump

Really depends on your pace, if you're a slow B then you should be fine. 5 years is about the max, but just as important about tires is how it was kept. If it was in a consistent, relatively low humidity environment without much temp fluctuations, then it will be better off that sitting in someone's unheated new england barn/shed with broken windows. You should be fine and be smooth on the throttle if you're running a 600cc bike or faster, but you should be smooth on the throttle anyways. Apply minimum pressure on the handlebars especially at the apex and full lean but you should be doing that anyways. If you think you're going to sacrifice a little bit of your riding experience on the track because of your tires, then take the hit, sell it and get newer tires for piece of mind. Piece of mind is an highly under-rated factor. I run tire warmers mostly for piece of mind, I spend tons of money on a newer and more reliable bike rather than a few years older, track bike for piece of mind that it won't blow up while riding or stop running unexpectedly the day before a race weekend or track day, and I get always check the date and scrutinize of tire wear and condition. They are what connects our bikes to the ground.

Zebman

My pace certainly won't justify running this tire, so I think i'm going to flip it to somebody that can use it before it expires. I should be at Summit on 9/22 if anybody's interested for $100.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
I've run 4-5 yr old tires with no issues. If it was sitting outside the whole time, I wouldnt use it.