TOMAHAWK and SHINKO tires

Atletic7

Does anyone uses Tomahawk or Shinko tires??? Are they any good??? :dunno:
The price for the set is amazing. i just do not know if it's one of those deals "youl get what you pay for".

Ruhe52

:eek:

Have yet to see a set in the paddock. Only set of Shinkos I have seen in person were on a crashed Gixer sitting in the shop by my house. Not to say they are bad but until either brand starts getting press racing I will have to pass on the "deal" they represent.

Slowninja

When it's your ass on the line i would go by the "you get what you pay for" way of thinking. I use this with safety gear and tires.

rk97

I asked about the shinkos a while back after seeing their prices for slicks. No one advised using them for anything but drag racing.

if you're looking for a cheap tire that's still 'ok' for track use, I have heard good things about teh Continental "race attack" (i think).

But even then, it was all comments like, "the tire gripped better than I thought it would," or "that wasn't bad for a cheap tire." Never, "this is as good as ______." One of the better points made against cheap tires is that you get less for them when sold as takeoffs. yeah, a nice set of tires might run you $80 more per set, but you can sell them for $100 to a street rider when you're done. Shinkos won't fetch $40 for a set...

Dunlop Qualifiers are pretty affordable, as are the 'regular' Pilot Powers. both can be run up to mid "I" pace without much drama.

Sklossmonster

I suppose it's possible that they may be a decent street tire, for certain situations ... but for the race track you need high performance equipment, in every area.

sobottka

Backmarker;94679 wrote: Aren't the Tomahawk tires.......retreads....:dunno:
yes... might be a dunlop carcass .....or a bridgestone or a michelin....... or a.... who knows what

sasrocks

Atletic7;94649 wrote: Does anyone uses Tomahawk or Shinko tires??? Are they any good??? :dunno:
The price for the set is amazing. i just do not know if it's one of those deals "youl get what you pay for".
This is a joke, right? Where is the hidden camera?:notsure:

Atletic7

Thanks, good to know. I did not mean sound stupid, but this was a first time I've seen them online, and now I know why I didn't see them before mounted on any bikes.:idea:

Backmarker

Control Rider
rk97;94722 wrote:
if you're looking for a cheap tire that's still 'ok' for track use, I have heard good things about teh Continental "race attack" (i think).

But even then, it was all comments like, "the tire gripped better than I thought it would," or "that wasn't bad for a cheap tire." Never, "this is as good as ______."

On that note.....

I tried the Continental "Attack" tires this year and won a few races on them. I ran a soft front, med rear. 120/190. I was able to run low :18's at Summit with them.

I felt they are as good as Bridgestone 003's, and the D 209's, and better then the old Power Race. I ran all these tires this year.

Each tire does have something different to offer...

As for the "Attack" I felt they were very predictable. When the rear would start to spin, it could be managed. It would hook back up. I only pushed a front once. It too stayed upright.

If you can get a deal on these try them. I'm glad I did. They paid good contingency money.

Your results may vary ;)

itaintall

rk97;94722 wrote: I asked about the shinkos a while back after seeing their prices for slicks. No one advised using them for anything but drag racing.

But even then, it was all comments like, "the tire gripped better than I thought it would," or "that wasn't bad for a cheap tire." Never, "this is as good as ______." One of the better points made against cheap tires is that you get less for them when sold as takeoffs. yeah, a nice set of tires might run you $80 more per set, but you can sell them for $100 to a street rider when you're done. Shinkos won't fetch $40 for a set...

Dunlop Qualifiers are pretty affordable, as are the 'regular' Pilot Powers. both can be run up to mid "I" pace without much drama.
As the resident cheapskate, I've used Continental an Avon Supersport tires several times and liked them both. I'm no "hot-shoe", but they seemed fine to me. I'm with CycleRant, Even I'm not willing to use a totally unknown commodity like Shinko or Tomahawk no matter how inexpensive.

See Mike, we can get along! Where's my "B" sticker?