Track bike choices

Scb762

If my riding scares you, just imagine how I feel
I’m a decent intermediate rider and I really like the smaller bikes. My R3 is just a little too underpowered. So, i’m considering ninja 400s (naturally) or sv650s.

***My dilemma is: I’m afraid to go TOO small if I get good enough for A-group. So, what is the smallest ***practical*** bike for A-group?

Guidance, suggestions?
Thank you in advance

bmart

Control Rider
I run with guys in A group on those little bikes and SVs. IMHO, it all depends on what you want to manage and what suits your fancy. People have loved SVs for many years for a reason.

tdelegram

Control Rider
The SV is a great choice right now as prices are low due to the r7 and rs660 upping the the lwt class and many nice sv race bikes are on the block so guys can remain competitive racing. Find a well build track bike and give it a try they are a good platform and parts are cheap and abundant.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
A friend of mine runs in Advanced with an SV650 and seems to be okay. Also kinda depends on the track, a bike like that would be preferable even if you're on say Patriot or South. (Just make some room on big straights for the 1000's to peal your stickers off going by. lol)

Ascent

Not to thread jack but am considering an SV650 as well...

I've only ever ridden my Triumph Street Triple 675. I have about 6 years/15k miles riding in the mountains before I did my first track day this year. I did one more track day and road in Intermediate group.

Going forward will be track only (no street) so I'm planning to go with a dedicated track bike. My goal is to continue learning how to track ride smooth/fast, while sharing the space safely with other rider's different experience levels and types of bikes. I'll mainly ride CMP and Road Atlanta, but will try to get to VIR, Roebling and NC Bike a few times.

My top two options I'm looking at are the SV650 and Triumph Daytona 675. I'm leaning towards the D675 since I know these Triumph's so well already (as far as maintenance/repair/sourcing parts), but it seems everyone recommends the SV to learn on, and can still be enjoyed by more experienced track day riders. I'm wondering if there's other reasons the SV is so popular for learning on. The D675 does have +50hp (might be seen as a negative for learning), but I'm not bothered by being passed by other riders even if they can only do it on the straights.

My only other concern is that shopping for a track prepped SV seems to be a little more difficult than the Daytona. I might be overlooking this, but it just seems all the SV's have been through multiple owners, raced, crashed, repaired, engine swapped, etc. Is that just the nature of these bikes being a little dated now and so popular, but nothing to worry too much about?

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm leaning towards the D675 since I know these Triumph's so well already (as far as maintenance/repair/sourcing parts.

Why not just tweak the trip for the track, it's the same basic bike as the daytona...that'd be the cheapest way to go if you want to stay triumph.

I'm wondering if there's other reasons the SV is so popular for learning on...it just seems all the SV's have been through multiple owners, raced, crashed, repaired, engine swapped, etc. Is that just the nature of these bikes being a little dated now and so popular, but nothing to worry too much about?

SVs are popular because they are cheap for what you get and respectably fast, but not so fast that you can use power to cover gaps in your skill. The ones you are seeing look like they've been passed around by a frat house because...well....they've been passed around by a frat house. At some point you'll outgrow it and pass it on too...doesn't make it any less valuable of a tool.

Ascent

Why not just tweak the trip for the track, it's the same basic bike as the daytona...that'd be the cheapest way to go if you want to stay triumph.

SVs are popular because they are cheap for what you get and respectably fast, but not so fast that you can use power to cover gaps in your skill. The ones you are seeing look like they've been passed around by a frat house because...well....they've been passed around by a frat house. At some point you'll outgrow it and pass it on too...doesn't make it any less valuable of a tool.

My only problem with tweaking my ST for track is after putting money into it, it still won't have fairings or able to use clip ons adjusted to where they are comfortable for me without doing major mods to get around clearance issues (ST has a standard bar). I'm just not a fan of the riding position for track. If I did keep it I would just leave it basically as it is. I'm not really looking to save money (or try to avoid spending), just want to have a suitable track bike for what I intend to use it for.

I know people track the ST but its usually their street bike too. A lot of parts do cross over from the Daytona but there's still not as much support and there are geometry differences that make the Daytona better suited for the track.

If I go too far tweaking my ST for track then when I eventually do sell it I don't think there will be many buyers looking for a track ST. If I sell now, its still in good condition and never been crashed or on its side.

boike333

May I suggest finding a nice clean street SV for not a lot and track ready it yourself? That’s what I did but not intentionally, just happened after I got the naked SV. Get a clean S model and not a lot to do to it! Except suspension.

McTrackPack

CR #171
Control Rider
Decided to keep the Street Triple for now to focus on getting more track time. Then I'll probably have a better idea of which bike I'd want to eventually replace it with.
The best investment you can make in order to become a better rider is seat time, great approach! Once you get ready for something else, don't forget about GSXR-600 (I have a 2006). Since everyone seem to want the 'Y' brand nowadays, a gixxer can be had for less and parts are pretty much available everywhere and cheap, I think I saw a head gasket on the shelf at Walmart the other day ;) Use that extra money for even more seat time and tires.

Greg ZX6R

The best investment you can make in order to become a better rider is seat time, great approach! Once you get ready for something else, don't forget about GSXR-600 (I have a 2006). Since everyone seem to want the 'Y' brand nowadays, a gixxer can be had for less and parts are pretty much available everywhere and cheap, I think I saw a head gasket on the shelf at Walmart the other day ;) Use that extra money for even more seat time and tires.
I thought for sure you were going to recommend the ZX10...

virtualsolitude

Musician, physician but mostly fond of fishin'.
Agreed. Given the same rider ability on both bikes, the 300 is noticeably underpowered compared to the ninja 400. I track/race a 400.

Agreed with @tdelegram . I've seen quite a few track-only sv650s on the market recently (for cheaper than a track-built 400, I might add).

Re @MK3Brent's comment about "depends" which track you're on, small bikes will do well (against bigger bikes) on tracks where the corners have more than one line (e.g, CMP, NCBike, VIR north). Still will get overtaken on the straight but improve and become quick enough through the non-straight sections, then the overtaking will happen later (and later) on the straights or brake zones. That's the goal. :)