track day tires for the slow

dynastyss

Hey guys, I apologize but I searched and found nothing.

I picked up a track bike 07 cbr600 and think I might get new tires. I'm a slow guy, so I don't think any DOT stuff for me.

I was looking at the battlax b003rs. Any other good suggestions?

Thanks

erick1670

Dunlop Q2, Michelin Power Pures or Power Pilots 2ct... I like Michelins :D

Most on here will tell you that this tires will take you all the way up to "A" but I made my switch to DOTs when I was getting to the upper levels of "I"

dynastyss

Seems I may go Q2s then!

The bike came with Power ones, which I know are great tires. But they have 4 or 5 track days on them, and he crashed it in the grass. My heart says change a crashed tire. Though, they definitely look like they still have some life.

JBZ1k

Having confidence in your tires can put your mind at ease when you roll out of the pits. You may very well have life left in your tires but if you are second guessing them and have some spare cash why not change them and start fresh? Last week my local shop had rears for $110 and I have seen fronts as cheap as $80.
Confidence is key.
I am getting 5 days out of rears and 8 out of fronts on my zx6r with stock suspension. Granted I'm not very fast but for reference 1:30 at jgp and 1:46 at Road A so you can put an ok pace on these tires and get some life out of them if your suspension and riding style doesn't put undue wear on them.
In my experience the two conditions where you need to watch your throttle inputs are in cool conditions 85 degrees I have to make sure I try and park in the shade to get some heat out of the tires or after lunch mid session they can get greasy especially at an abrasive track like Jennings. People may say I'm crazy about the heat but these tires warm very quickly and they get HOT and stay hot once the rim gets heat in it.
Hope this helps! Good luck!

ericlouie1

My vote is for the Michelin Pilot Power 2ct's, I got 7 track days and 3000 street miles out of them. I never got comfortable on the q2's

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
ericlouie1;251004 wrote: My vote is for the Michelin Pilot Power 2ct's, I got 7 track days and 3000 street miles out of them. I never got comfortable on the q2's
And they work great in the rain!

ericlouie1

And a little more feedback on them.
I agree with the above rain statement, I got caught in rainstorm on the street a few tiemes, and as long as i maintained smooth inputs on the throttle, as well as careful choice of lean, bp, and speed, i was able to navigate without any large amounts of discomfort. I also partook in a track day with them where the track was still wet from a morning storm, and frankly i was amazed at how stable the bike was. Granted, I was turding it around the track, but it felt quick to me.
I didn't quite understand it at the the time, but these tires gave quite a bit of feedback to me as to the what was going on with the road beneath me.
They also "want" to turn, the tip in is excellent, and you will have huge amounts of confidence as you lean the bike over, as these tires are fairly forgiving, and very stable and confidence inspiring.

zuluhour

I like my Q2's, but to be honest, most of the current hyper-sport tires will be fine on track. Q2s, 2cts, S20s or BT003rs, pretty much whatever's on sale.

JRA

zuluhour;251207 wrote: I like my Q2's, but to be honest, most of the current hyper-sport tires will be fine on track. Q2s, 2cts, S20s or BT003rs, pretty much whatever's on sale.
This is true, but if you are always going with whatever is on sale you are steepening your learning curve. Pick a tire and stick with it so you can really learn what "feel" is.

erick1670

JRA;251241 wrote: This is true, but if you are always going with whatever is on sale you are steepening your learning curve. Pick a tire and stick with it so you can really learn what "feel" is.

:agree:

I was on Michelins Pilots 2ct priyor to getting fast, then I got to the upper levels of "I" then switch to Michelin DOT's wow what a differance, and then to slicks doble wow
it gave me so much confidace that feel of being glue to the pavement. Then I got my self 2 sets of Dunlop 211 GP-A but I have never have the same feeling as the Michelins give me, true the Dunlops are more durable but my feel
is no the same, so I switch back to Michelins :adore: :D

D

dragginass

I'm a big fan of the Q2's. They work well in many conditions, and they slide very predictably. I run them on my R1, and on my SV for "trackdays".

zuluhour

JRA;251241 wrote: This is true, but if you are always going with whatever is on sale you are steepening your learning curve. Pick a tire and stick with it so you can really learn what "feel" is.
Absolutely, I meant to say the relative performance of modern hyper-sport tires is very close. I've been running Q2s for a while now and don't see myself switching anytime soon. It also helps you can get great deals on them!