Track Newbie from SC!

Innovate803

Racecar to Racebike
Hey guys, I just purchased a 2005 10R and am interested in track days to learn my bike. I have run with NASA-SE with cars at places like CMP, Roebling, RA, and VIR to name a few. I have also taken a 6 year hiatus from bikes since I joined the military so a literbike was not my first choice but a deal came up and I scooped the bike up off of FB Marketplace. I purchased a 2005 Titanum ZX10R and I am out in SC. Popped a wheelie on my first test ride and was like holy crap! I came from a Ninja 250 and I also rode my dad's Katana 750. I originally was looking for a 636 but fellow C6Z owners said I would get bored of it. My toy car is an HCIE/Hi-Ram C6 Z06, so the warp speed/tunnel vision ordeal is not new to me lol. It is the nose comes up at 80 in second that I have to watch for haha.

Anyway, I want to learn my bike and possibly do some WERA racing in the future. What mods do you recommend to a Gen 1 10R?

Current mods: PC3, full titanium exhaust, drop in filter, 520 chain -1 +2, aftermarket rearsets, and speedohealer.

What I want to do soon: ZX14 Nissin calipers/SS brake lines/pads/DJ QS.

The brakes on this thing are NOT confidence inspiring lol.

Also, oil reccommendations? Brake fluid? I run Motul 600 in my cars.

I came from a Ninja 250 and Katana 750 so doing more than normal maintenence I have no idea on a bike. I also do not want to spend a ton either, this will be a DD type bike mostly and if I like tracking bikes I will grab a 600 or another bike.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! For mods, I suggest taking the Yamaha Champions Riding School. The best mod you can make for your bike is YOU! Money well spent, you've gotta see the instructors rip on bone stock bikes with hypersport street tires!

Maintenance on that bike will likely be similar to your others. Steel braided lines and better pads will help. Many of us like the Vesrah RJL. I'd try cleaning the caliper pistons (rebuild if necessary), doing the lines and pads before swapping calipers. That might make a big difference. Along with a proper bleed. I like the Motul 600 RBF brake fluid.

Oil? There's a topic, LOL. A good motorcycle-specific synth. My personal fave for the track is Motul 600V.

As far as mods, all I'd do is address the brake lines, get new tires (if you're going to also do street, the Pirelli Rosso Corsas would be perfect for both, or the new Pirelli Trackday tire. The TD tire won't be as good in the rain, however.)

Oh, and you wouldn't have gotten bored with the 636, haha.

Welcome again, N2 is big on safety and instruction, so as a new track rider you'll be with a Control Rider (CR) for the morning sessions. There are also classroom sessions (all included with the day).

If you haven't already, please read our Riders' Manual: https://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/N2-Riders-Manual-2018.pdf

And thanks for your service. We offer a military discount on memberships.

Innovate803

Racecar to Racebike
Welcome! For mods, I suggest taking the Yamaha Champions Riding School. The best mod you can make for your bike is YOU! Money well spent, you've gotta see the instructors rip on bone stock bikes with hypersport street tires!

Maintenance on that bike will likely be similar to your others. Steel braided lines and better pads will help. Many of us like the Vesrah RJL. I'd try cleaning the caliper pistons (rebuild if necessary), doing the lines and pads before swapping calipers. That might make a big difference. Along with a proper bleed. I like the Motul 600 RBF brake fluid.

Oil? There's a topic, LOL. A good motorcycle-specific synth. My personal fave for the track is Motul 600V.

As far as mods, all I'd do is address the brake lines, get new tires (if you're going to also do street, the Pirelli Rosso Corsas would be perfect for both, or the new Pirelli Trackday tire. The TD tire won't be as good in the rain, however.)

Oh, and you wouldn't have gotten bored with the 636, haha.

Welcome again, N2 is big on safety and instruction, so as a new track rider you'll be with a Control Rider (CR) for the morning sessions. There are also classroom sessions (all included with the day).

If you haven't already, please read our Riders' Manual: https://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/N2-Riders-Manual-2018.pdf

And thanks for your service. We offer a military discount on memberships.
Haha that is why I am here! To learn how to ride my bike. I will look into that school as well.

Alright, I will order lines/pads first and bleed the brakes with some Motul 600 first. Gen 1 ZX10R's are notorious for crappy brakes lol.

The bored statement was mainly for the street riding aspect as a 636 would be super fun on track.

I have read through the Rider's Manual and plan on getting things ready before signing up! I only grabbed the bike yesterday. Track sessions and classroom sessions are what I am used to when I run cars with NASA or anyone else.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Welcome aboard, Judy is spot on with all her points. If you can’t swing ycrs try an atp day early in your track riding days. Building off of a sound foundation will help you accelerate your learning pace and be safer. Feel free to keep posting up here lots of great knowledgeable people that are willing to help.

Tom

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Oh! Yes! Thanks Tom. Definitely do ATP if you don't want to fork over the cash for YCRS. Our ATP days are run during some regular trackdays for an additional fee. The instructors teaching it have been certified with YCRS, so the same principles are taught. How did I forget about that??!! LOL.
They are on the schedule so you can see at which events they'll be held.

Great attitude! We're all about learning!

bmart

Control Rider
Welcome! Bike tech and performance is amazing and changing quickly. Both of our bikes are about 15 years old...and still very capable. I hope to see you out there soon!

Innovate803

Racecar to Racebike
Welcome aboard, Judy is spot on with all her points. If you can’t swing ycrs try an atp day early in your track riding days. Building off of a sound foundation will help you accelerate your learning pace and be safer. Feel free to keep posting up here lots of great knowledgeable people that are willing to help.

Tom
Oops, well thank you Judy! I will try an ATP day. I am also looking signing up for Roebling the 25th. Definitely trying to build a solid foundation!

Innovate803

Racecar to Racebike
Oh! Yes! Thanks Tom. Definitely do ATP if you don't want to fork over the cash for YCRS. Our ATP days are run during some regular trackdays for an additional fee. The instructors teaching it have been certified with YCRS, so the same principles are taught. How did I forget about that??!! LOL.
They are on the schedule so you can see at which events they'll be held.

Great attitude! We're all about learning!
Awesome, I will look at the schedule! Thank you, I look at it like I did my first track day in a car, forget what you think you know about driving!

Innovate803

Racecar to Racebike
Welcome! Bike tech and performance is amazing and changing quickly. Both of our bikes are about 15 years old...and still very capable. I hope to see you out there soon!
Thank you! These bikes are definitely capable!

Also, what are some good gloves and helmets to purchase for the track and street? Is my SA 2010 helmet ok? It is the one I used when I ran cars.

I plan on renting a suit/boots. Plus is there a price on the website about rental prices? I have not seen anything. Thanks guys!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I googled SA 2010. The search I came up with shows it as a open face helmet? Is that the case? If so, then no, not acceptable. Full face helmet required. And gauntlet gloves that come up over your wrist/part way up your forearm. No shortie gloves. For suit rental, send an email to support@n2td.org. I'm not sure we also rent boots, but support will be able to let you know.

So when you get gloves, ensure they are gauntlet. Something like the Held Phantom II, Dainese Pro 6, Alpinestars GP Plus, RS Taichi GP EVO, etc. My 2 favorite online retailers are Revzilla and Sportbiketrackgear.

For helmets (full face!), the one that fits you best. Head shapes vary a lot. You'll need to try them on. I've worn Arai for the past 25 years, they fit me. Shoei are also really good. You'll see others out there, HJC, Bell, Scorpion, AGV. Best to get fitted. Most people buy helmets too big.

You are gonna have a blast!!

Innovate803

Racecar to Racebike
I googled SA 2010. The search I came up with shows it as a open face helmet? Is that the case? If so, then no, not acceptable. Full face helmet required. And gauntlet gloves that come up over your wrist/part way up your forearm. No shortie gloves. For suit rental, send an email to support@n2td.org. I'm not sure we also rent boots, but support will be able to let you know.

So when you get gloves, ensure they are gauntlet. Something like the Held Phantom II, Dainese Pro 6, Alpinestars GP Plus, RS Taichi GP EVO, etc. My 2 favorite online retailers are Revzilla and Sportbiketrackgear.

For helmets (full face!), the one that fits you best. Head shapes vary a lot. You'll need to try them on. I've worn Arai for the past 25 years, they fit me. Shoei are also really good. You'll see others out there, HJC, Bell, Scorpion, AGV. Best to get fitted. Most people buy helmets too big.

You are gonna have a blast!!
Mine is closed faced as I would never go out on a track or even the road without closed faced. Awesome! I will shoot them an email. Boots-wise I do not mind purchasing some as I have found some under $200. Helmet-wise I may order one I found on Revzilla for $180. The suit I just do not want to buy for my first trackday or two just to make sure this is something I want to really do (which I am sure it is but I am cheap). I will check out those gloves today as well! Thank you for your help! I will go through the rules again to make sure what I pull the trigger on buying will work.

I also ordered SS brake lines and pads last night! I already have some Motul 600 fluid so I am good there.

bmart

Control Rider
Thank you! These bikes are definitely capable!

Also, what are some good gloves and helmets to purchase for the track and street? Is my SA 2010 helmet ok? It is the one I used when I ran cars.

I plan on renting a suit/boots. Plus is there a price on the website about rental prices? I have not seen anything. Thanks guys!

Car and bike helmets follow different design and safety rules, you don't want to mix them either way.

Gear is pretty subjective. My preference is Vanson suits, Alpinestars boots, Held gloves and Shoei helmets. All are very comfy and of high build quality.

Innovate803

Racecar to Racebike
Car and bike helmets follow different design and safety rules, you don't want to mix them either way.

Gear is pretty subjective. My preference is Vanson suits, Alpinestars boots, Held gloves and Shoei helmets. All are very comfy and of high build quality.

Alright, I have some helmet ideas. I will check those all out tonight.

Welcome to N2!
Thank you! I hope everything will be ready for Roebling the 25th. I am signing up as soon as they contact me back this week about membership.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider

Thank you! I hope everything will be ready for Roebling the 25th. I am signing up as soon as they contact me back this week about membership.
Nice! Enjoy and maybe we’ll see you out there this season.

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Welcome. Be patient with support this weekend. We had alot going on with running our event at NC Bike Sat/Sun, Managing our MotoAmerica teams at VIR, and Running a Private Yamaha Day at NJMP today. Staff was certainly spread thin. If someone hasn't responded quickly, those would be the reasons why.

Suits are simple, get with Tea or Tim through Support at support@n2td.org and reserve early. I think a suit is $50/day. If you have a Cycle Gear near you, check out their suits for fitment. I know the one up here in PA had Dainese suits as well as Sedeci suits. Try a few on for size. If you are a standard "Off the Rack" size you life will be much easier. Cycle Gear also carries their Built line of suits. They can be an option for you and are not bad for a starter suit. Lots of people upgrade to a higher quality suit quickly and use the Built as a backup or Rain suit. Once you get a suit and since you are fron the South, FIRST item to purchase is a Hang Dry. http://www.hang-dry.com/ You will thank me I promise.......

As far as bike prep or upgrades. Don't tinker too much. I wouldn't do anything until you ride it a few times. As long as the bike is safe, you will have much more to pay attention to on YOU than the bike. Most importantly, have fun and don't over think. Coming from a car world, I doubt this will be an issue for you. When someone has never been on a track before, sometimes that fear and anxiety takes over and they can't relax and have fun.

Kappy and Huey run a great show at Roebling and that track is a ton of fun on a bike.

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider

Were you taken care of? I'm not sure of your actual name or email address so it made my searching around the inbox a little difficult!

Innovate803

Racecar to Racebike
Nice! Enjoy and maybe we’ll see you out there this season.

I hope so as well! I am getting a tad excited, I am wondering how different RRR is on a bike.

Welcome. Be patient with support this weekend. We had alot going on with running our event at NC Bike Sat/Sun, Managing our MotoAmerica teams at VIR, and Running a Private Yamaha Day at NJMP today. Staff was certainly spread thin. If someone hasn't responded quickly, those would be the reasons why.

Suits are simple, get with Tea or Tim through Support at support@n2td.org and reserve early. I think a suit is $50/day. If you have a Cycle Gear near you, check out their suits for fitment. I know the one up here in PA had Dainese suits as well as Sedeci suits. Try a few on for size. If you are a standard "Off the Rack" size you life will be much easier. Cycle Gear also carries their Built line of suits. They can be an option for you and are not bad for a starter suit. Lots of people upgrade to a higher quality suit quickly and use the Built as a backup or Rain suit. Once you get a suit and since you are fron the South, FIRST item to purchase is a Hang Dry. http://www.hang-dry.com/ You will thank me I promise.......

As far as bike prep or upgrades. Don't tinker too much. I wouldn't do anything until you ride it a few times. As long as the bike is safe, you will have much more to pay attention to on YOU than the bike. Most importantly, have fun and don't over think. Coming from a car world, I doubt this will be an issue for you. When someone has never been on a track before, sometimes that fear and anxiety takes over and they can't relax and have fun.

Kappy and Huey run a great show at Roebling and that track is a ton of fun on a bike.

No worries, I did not realize until yesterday there was an NC event and MotoAmerica was at VIR. I just saw where Tim emailed my .mil address so I just responded, I work 3rd shift so I will be checking it at night.

Suit-wise I included some sizes in the email to Tim. I will check out Cycle Gear! Definitely will look into Hang-Dry.

Not tinkering with the bike other than maintenance items and upgrading crappy stock ZX10R brakes to 14R Nissin calipers/SS lines/EBC pads. Safe is number one and stock brakes are not confidence inspiring. Yes, my main plan is to relax and have fun! I will learn the bike during the event and ride to what I feel comfortable with. I watched a couple RRR video's and it looks like the line is similar to a car, a bike is just super different because you are leaning. That will definitely take some getting used to.
Were you taken care of? I'm not sure of your actual name or email address so it made my searching around the inbox a little difficult!
Yes, I think it was you who emailed my .mil account. Name is David Bailey and it is easiest to email my personal email at benscsvt@yahoo.com. I did respond to your email! 3rd shift makes things difficult lol.