Trackwraps question

physicistkev

Control Rider
If I were to buy a newer bike could I get a trackwrap that matched the stock look of my old GSXR? Could I get the materiel in the colors and overlay the design so that it looked like the old gal?

Nobody get nervous.... I haven't gotten a newer bike yet but if I did I would want to do something like this to it.

RyanITV

Admin
Yeah, technically - it's doable. It's what I did with the 1098R; had it painted red then used TrackWraps to do the plates in white and the lower in carbon. The only reason I didn't wrap the red was that we hadn't matched the color at that point.

For the blue, we would just need a sample to get something close or you could pick one of the existing shades.

Ryan

crewnutz

has anyone crashed tested a "trackwrapped" bike yet?
im interested to see if it helps hold everything togethor better and therefore would not cause as much damage (cracking) to the bodywork.........seems like it would be better for crashing

RyanITV

Admin
crewnutz;47696 wrote: has anyone crashed tested a "trackwrapped" bike yet?
im interested to see if it helps hold everything togethor better and therefore would not cause as much damage (cracking) to the bodywork.........seems like it would be better for crashing
LOL - two of them went down on Saturday in the rain.

It is better for crashing for the exact reasons you indicated... Chad tested it extensively last year. Even in cases where the bodywork is cracked, the TrackWrap helps to hold it together - much like duct tape would.

The surface is nowhere near as prone to scratches and chips as paint - it's kinda like having that clearshield stuff installed on paint. According to Fat Chuck, Dane Westby's wrapped lowers at Daytona just got wiped down and looked as good as new. The uppers (paint only), not so much... needed respraying.

Ryan

Drewbie

Heat gun will work. It will just take a bit longer to install as it does not have instant heat that the torch does. Torch is $32 at Home depot and the bottles are $2.50 or so... FYI.

Pascal

I'll bring a torch when I stop over to help. If you want REALLY hot, I'll bring MAPP with Oxygen supplement :)

nrcooled

crewnutz;47696 wrote: has anyone crashed tested a "trackwrapped" bike yet?
I tested mine in the rain at NJMP in March. All held up pretty well. I added a few blemishes to my vinyl but the bike, after a wipedown looked good as new.

I don't plan to test it anymore this season so I hope to not have any more input on this topic :)