Two bikes at one track?

orionburn

Hi all. Doing my first track day on August 8th at Gingerman Raceway in Michigan. I have two bikes and have been trying to decide which one to bring. I have a 1987 FZR1000 and a 2003 Bandit 1200. I'm comfortable on both bikes so that isn't an issue.

The FZR has a very slow oil leak that I'm trying to figure out where it's coming from. By slow I mean one drop of oil about once a week. Given the bike is now 20+ years old I'm concerned about it making it through tech. The guy(s) that had it before me really beat the crap out of it. It's not the prettiest bike out there, but she still runs strong.

I thought about prepping both bikes anyway so that if the FZR failed tech I'd have the Bandit to fall back on. One question I had is if both passed tech can I change throughout the day or do they prefer you to stick with one bike?

Since this will be my first time out I have no idea on what to expect going through tech and how nit-picky they may be. I don't mean that in a bad way because I would hate for something to go wrong on my bike and cause a problem for somebody behind me. I've read the manual a hundred times but would like some real-world feedback on any issues people have had going through tech, especially on an older bike.

rk97

hard for me to recall which group it was with, but...

I have seen people run 2 bikes. only hang-up might be that they SHOULD only give you one group sticker, and you would have to move that from bike-to-bike when you switched. (can't have you getting a buddy on track for free, can they?) painter's tape with the sticker on top works well for that.

tech with NESBA is thorough, but not a substitute for your own inspection prior to the weekend, and throughout each day.

a drop of oil once a week? I don't think the NESBA tech inspection COULD catch that. But knowing where it is, just be sure to wipe it after every session to be safe.

ToddG

Control Rider
Director
There is no issue with running (2) Bikes. Just ask for another "Group" Sticker and then run both Bikes through Tech. As long as they pass tech you can ride which ever floats your boat! The important thing is to have fun out there, and Welcome to our Addiction!!! :D

gkotlin

ThePro8;1542 wrote: hmmm...makes me want to go buy a second track bike :)
Do it! Do it! You know you want to! If you get it soon, we can ride next week :) I mean you can ride it next week.

BobbyG

I would fix the oil leak first. Sure we might not find it in tech, we don't pull lowers. Knowing it is leaking oil, high mileage and as you said that it has been beat is a recipe for bad things to happen.
If not for you, your fellow riders. If it's leaking oil, it is telling you something. Sure it might not let go now, when? You are going to be pulling high rev's all day at the track. Please don't bring anything that is leaking fluids to the track.

dlockhart5x

Wink;1746 wrote: Just do it Steve... RS for the WIN!!!!

This has potential.... I'll see everyone with 250s at Gingerman :cheers:

We may have enough bikes to hold a cup race, I hope my cheater motor holds together.:first::second::third:

Oh, 2 bikes, if you have the means, it can save a weekend when one does not cooperate with gravity or has a mechanical issue.

orionburn

BobbyG;1760 wrote: I would fix the oil leak first. Sure we might not find it in tech, we don't pull lowers. Knowing it is leaking oil, high mileage and as you said that it has been beat is a recipe for bad things to happen.
If not for you, your fellow riders. If it's leaking oil, it is telling you something. Sure it might not let go now, when? You are going to be pulling high rev's all day at the track. Please don't bring anything that is leaking fluids to the track.
I'm hoping to resolve the issue entirely before I get up there. For all I know it may simply have been spilled oil that is slowly making it's way down. The FZR is a pain in the arse to get oil into and have gotten oil on the block on more than one occasion. The Bandit is more of my daily rider and hope to eventually make the FZR a dedicated track bike...whenever I finally find the time to get into the engine and look things over.

Appreciate the advice.