Upcoming Pitt Weekend

npalaciom3

Considering coming to Pitt with you guys this upcoming weekend (Partnered with Evolve) and last year all of us with Pirelli's were having major wear issues. Now that you all have been there again this year, was everyone on Pirelli's having the same issue or has the new surface got any easier on this rubber?

mpusch

Micah
Considering coming to Pitt with you guys this upcoming weekend (Partnered with Evolve) and last year all of us with Pirelli's were having major wear issues. Now that you all have been there again this year, was everyone on Pirelli's having the same issue or has the new surface got any easier on this rubber?

Word is that with the right pressures, it was a good bit better this year. Pretty sure I saw MDM saw something to that effect as well.

Edit: here's his response to that question on the WERA forum:

The tires hold up fine at the correct pressures for that track. We were just there testing last weekend.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
The track surface at Pittrace can be challenging in terms of tire wear. Consider that the recent Summit repave is the exact same surface - same company, same compound, etc. Had zero issues with Pirellis on the R1 at Summit Main a few weeks ago. Then last week ran PIRC - tire wear wasn't great, but wasn't terrible. Wear got better after increasing rear pressures by 2-3 pounds. I do think that part of this (PIRC vs Main) is because of the significantly greater elevation changes at PIRC vs Main - making the "window" of optimal pressure/wear even tighter.

If you're looking to make the Pirelli wear just as "well" as the Dunlop, you may be disappointed - but that's not a PIRC thing. However, if you're looking for good wear combined with the predictability and feel of the Pirelli, I think things have gotten better. So long as I'm not control riding, I don't mind the Dunlop rear at all. Problem is the different riding modes I need to be able to ride in, and I personally don't trust the Dunlop to be able to handle the "colder" laps as well.

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
Problem is the different riding modes I need to be able to ride in, and I personally don't trust the Dunlop to be able to handle the "colder" laps as well.

What, your R1 doesnt have CR-N and CR-I modes that keep the tires warm on those colder laps?

npalaciom3

Bill, this was my rear last year after day 1. We tried numerous changes to rear shock and pressures, nothing worked. I dont mind increased wear but don't want this again either if I can avoid it.

Only track that has ever caused this issue is Pitt, summit 2 days now and zero issues on new surface. We have same problems at Pitt with left fronts on the cars but not quite to this extent.

efbbd026f1f955bd922047d5c7acd4f7.jpg

e0366e7e885370d922071e6d03227528.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
I think you just made my point. Ask yourself what parts of the track would be particularly hard on the left front of a cage in terms of that? My first guess would be apex to exit of T5, exit of 17+18 - all significant elevation changes combined with hard right turns. I'd be willing to be that if we got off the gas as hard in just those two spots, that wear pattern would evaporate and wear would be about identical between Main and PIRC. Just my guess. Anyway, I had some really good wear sunday afternoon, and some "OK" wear patterns as well. I haven't got it completely figured out either. Yes, the Dunlops seem to hold up a little better at PIRC - probably isn't going to change. No, I'm not switching to Dunlop....

Dunlop3.jpg

npalaciom3

I think you just made my point. Ask yourself what parts of the track would be particularly hard on the left front of a cage in terms of that? My first guess would be apex to exit of T5, exit of 17+18 - all significant elevation changes combined with hard right turns. I'd be willing to be that if we got off the gas as hard in just those two spots, that wear pattern would evaporate and wear would be about identical between Main and PIRC. Just my guess. Anyway, I had some really good wear sunday afternoon, and some "OK" wear patterns as well. I haven't got it completely figured out either. Yes, the Dunlops seem to hold up a little better at PIRC - probably isn't going to change. No, I'm not switching to Dunlop....

View attachment 6018

Yeah I understand why it happens where but was hopeful that the surface would have got better between last year to now and made the wear better. Maybe just wishful thinking! Love the track but wasn't crazy about that wear last year.... Dunlop Guys didn't seem to have any problems at all but I'm not switching either.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Believe me, Dunlop guys had issues too. I actually love the surface. Tons of grip.

npalaciom3

Interesting. Yeah, we never had any issues at ole Beaverun until the full repave. Even after the addition and mixed old surface and new, it was fine. Track is tits, love it. Hope to be there this weekend!

chrisplm

Chris
Npalaciom3, I had almost identical wear on my SC2 rear on Sunday as well, same story, played with pressures, and damping a bit, but didn't get it sorted.
It was my first time on Pirelli (coming from Dunlop). I really liked the grip of the tire, but I still need to sort out the wear. FWIW, I haven't done that to a Dunlop before, but I'm optimistic, I'll get it sorted.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Bump up your rear pressure by 2-3 pounds and give that a go. The last time I raced there, I ran a 0 on the back at like 28 PSI...basically an unheard of PSI for a SC0. Wore, and gripped, perfect as I'd expect it to.

npalaciom3

Npalaciom3, I had almost identical wear on my SC2 rear on Sunday as well, same story, played with pressures, and damping a bit, but didn't get it sorted.
It was my first time on Pirelli (coming from Dunlop). I really liked the grip of the tire, but I still need to sort out the wear. FWIW, I haven't done that to a Dunlop before, but I'm optimistic, I'll get it sorted.

Yup. I really want to go but man...... hate to tear up the rear again and go through that all over again. Good to hear John had some success with tire pressure changes but I am not overly optimistic when I hear this is still happening. I contacted Eric at Trackside tires, we will see.

Thanks for the feedback, all!

chrisplm

Chris
John,
I've been hearing PIRC requires higher than "normal" pressures on the Pirelli's?
Funny, on the Dunlop's, my pressures kept climbing, and I had to keep pulling air out of them, (once you get over 25psi, they get slippery) But it sounds like the Pirellis I have to get more air in.. Learning curve. :like:

npalaciom3

John,
I've been hearing PIRC requires higher than "normal" pressures on the Pirelli's?
Funny, on the Dunlop's, my pressures kept climbing, and I had to keep pulling air out of them, (once you get over 25psi, they get slippery) But it sounds like the Pirellis I have to get more air in.. Learning curve. :like:

That's what I was told to do last year by the tire guy at the track. Did it and not much improvement at all, if any. I dunno.....

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
John,

Stiffer carcass in the Dunlop forces you to run it with far lower pressure. Too much and the tire becomes a rock with no deflection or contact patch. Soft Pirelli carcass needs more pressure to operate. As far as on the PIRC surface, can't explain it.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Obviously there's a ton of different factors that go into tire wear, but I've had my bikes for a few seasons now and have them dialed in pretty spot on for the way I ride. I do not care what my tire wear looks like and I personally think too many people care more about tire wear than what the bike is doing beneath them. However, I got the bikes to handle the way I want them to (or the best I can, with having a 1st gen ZX10) and the good tire wear just happened to be a byproduct of that testing/tuning. This is a SC1 with two 30 min practice sessions and 10 (or 12? I forget) laps for the Moto America/WERA Triple Crown. This is running 50's/51's there.

I would also say that from my experience, the surface at Pitt doesn't really play well with take offs. Much like Roebling and front tires, you take any used fronts to Roebling and for some reason it'll eat them alive, but a new one will wear just fine. I seem to notice the same thing at Pitt, it eats take offs on the rear much quicker than if you start off with a new tire. Again, YMMV

tire.jpg