Upcoming Pitt Weekend

Motofun352

Control Rider
The old "beav" was fantastic in the less-than-dry conditions. Plus, the bumps on the back straight would shake the water off as an added bonus! ;) No idea for the current Pitt though I suspect it will be OK.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
The new surface is better with respect to grip in all conditions that I'm aware of than the old surface. It may be rougher on tires, but it has a ton of grip. Perhaps not quite the "Jennings - entire track embedded with microscopic spikes that hold even in the snow but manage to throw so much aggregate up that your new helmet will look 2 years old after one lap" grip but it's damn good.

Kurt_Orban

I have little experience at all with track pressures, tire compounds, but as Bill said, I think T5 eats tires alive. I suspect that if you coast to the apex and crank it out up the hill, it'll tear tires up. Was just talking to a buddy yesterday about that T5.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Motofun352

Control Rider
One thing to try is to drop your head as you exit the apex. Action/reaction helps force the bike upright onto the center of the tire. True for any corner but really important for those corners that are slow leading onto high acceleration spots. Emerson has to be careful with this technique to avoid flipping the bike over...:eek:.:rofl:

npalaciom3

I have little experience at all with track pressures, tire compounds, but as Bill said, I think T5 eats tires alive. I suspect that if you coast to the apex and crank it out up the hill, it'll tear tires up. Was just talking to a buddy yesterday about that T5.

A corner itself won't do that. I would compare T5 at Pitt with the toe of the boot at The Glen. Never have I seen tire wear like I did at Pitt, both car or bike, at any other track. It's just a very abrasive surface, which is great for grip, but gotta figure out as others have apparently, the proper settings to minimize the tire wear. I dont mind wearing out tires fast but two rears in two days is just annoying. Granted that was on SC DOT's, could be better now on slicks and a proper suspension on the bike. Guess we will find out this weekend if the weather cooperates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kurt_Orban

A corner itself won't do that. I would compare T5 at Pitt with the toe of the boot at The Glen. Never have I seen tire wear like I did at Pitt, both car or bike, at any other track. It's just a very abrasive surface, which is great for grip, but gotta figure out as others have apparently, the proper settings to minimize the tire wear. I dont mind wearing out tires fast but two rears in two days is just annoying. Granted that was on SC DOT's, could be better now on slicks and a proper suspension on the bike. Guess we will find out this weekend if the weather cooperates.

Yeah you've made a lot of changes, hopefully is was that crap suspension and theyll be a suspension guy there like Markbuilt to dial you in. I wish I would've checked my tire pressure before my low side at NJMP, it's been nagging at me if that would have made a difference, but then again....I'm 13% retarded so that's an issue for me.

2blueyam

One thing to try is to drop your head as you exit the apex. Action/reaction helps force the bike upright onto the center of the tire. True for any corner but really important for those corners that are slow leading onto high acceleration spots. Emerson has to be careful with this technique to avoid flipping the bike over...:eek:.:rofl:
Already doing that. The Pirelli just wore 1/2 way between the edge and the middle of the tire. Tried an SC1 it gripped great until the wear bar was gone in a day. Tried an SC3 and it was spinning and wore out in a day too.

I am back on my preferred SC2 now hoping for better results next time I get to PIRC. I will probably add a pound or two or pressure and see how it goes.

npalaciom3

Already doing that. The Pirelli just wore 1/2 way between the edge and the middle of the tire. Tried an SC1 it gripped great until the wear bar was gone in a day. Tried an SC3 and it was spinning and wore out in a day too.

I am back on my preferred SC2 now hoping for better results next time I get to PIRC. I will probably add a pound or two or pressure and see how it goes.

Sounds like we have the same problem.

tdelegram

Control Rider

28 psi, don’t make me say it again.