Upper and air tubes won't fit together

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
I started assembly on the body work today of my 06 GSXR 750. But I one very major issue. The ram air tubes won't fit inside the upper at all. The square portion of the tube that hangs down striking the upper. Unless I trim off the bottom of the air tubes or cut the upper nothing will fit. Yes I have them on the correct sides and oriented the right way. Also the amount that I need trim off is more than an inch. So its not just a snug fit it is way more than that. So irritated :mad:

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
I'm not sure what type of body work I have, I bought it used and there is no label. But I have this vague impression that it is a sharkskinz. I could use a heat gun but there is a couple of problems with that. First, I don't own a heat gun. Second, I have never used one before, I'm afraid I might damage the part to where it won't work. Third, I would imagine that by melting the tubes to fit would constrict them more than cutting them. I'm not trying to shoot down your ideas, I just want you to know what I'm thinking.

dsmitty37

I'm not sure what type of body work I have, I bought it used and there is no label. But I have this vague impression that it is a sharkskinz. I could use a heat gun but there is a couple of problems with that. First, I don't own a heat gun. Second, I have never used one before, I'm afraid I might damage the part to where it won't work. Third, I would imagine that by melting the tubes to fit would constrict them more than cutting them. I'm not trying to shoot down your ideas, I just want you to know what I'm thinking.

A heat gun is like a hair dryer that gets blows really hot air. You wouldn't want to melt the tubes, just get the plastic warm to make it kind of moldable. Can you take a picture of what you are dealing with? i wouldn't think cutting the tubes would be prudent as you wouldnt want any air leaks.