Use a bicycle pump to add air to motorcycle tires?

noupf

Just a quick question...........I was at njmp for my first track day and I saw a guy pitted next to us using what looked like a bicycle pump to adjust his tire pressure. I know many people seem to get very fine when it comes to adding or lowering their tire pressure just a tad..........but can you really use a bicycle pump for this? I forgot to ask him about it :doh:

Trent1098S

I've heard of the hard core cross country dual-sport types packing spare tubes, a clamp, tire irons, and a bicycle pump for this very thing. Or if you're Tubeless, substitute a patching kit for the tubes, along with hairspray & matches....

No reason a bicycle pump wouldn't work - PSI is similar, just more volume. So you just gotta "pump dem up" (cue old-school SNL).

Lombardo Joe

There are people who use a handheld bicycle pump for their bikes, and I have seen advertisments for compact bicycle-style pumps that are actually made for motorcycles. I just know of their existence, not so much of the benefits or practicality of them.

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
Guess it depends on the pump. If it is a cheapie one, I would not trust it to give me an accurate reading. If he was just using it to inflate the tire and using another gauge to measure, that is fine. I have a cheapie compressor from Harbor Freight that was never accurate. The Combo hose/gauge in my SUV is off quite a bit. I would never rely on those to check air pressure.

I know there are some people that ride here that calibrate their gauges every so often. It makes sense to check your gauge regulary. I have one on the liquid dampened guages NESBA sold. I have not checked it against similiar guages my friends use but will next time I am at the track to see if they are close. If not, guess it is time to do something.

Hope that helps.

noupf

Trent1098S;129052 wrote: I've heard of the hard core cross country dual-sport types packing spare tubes, a clamp, tire irons, and a bicycle pump for this very thing. Or if you're Tubeless, substitute a patching kit for the tubes, along with hairspray & matches....

No reason a bicycle pump wouldn't work - PSI is similar, just more volume. So you just gotta "pump dem up" (cue old-school SNL).
Yea, I guess it would work. I just didnt know how much psi a bicycle pump could handle / exert into a tire. My main concern would be if the bicycle pump ( the seals and such within the pump ) would fail as you keep adding pressure. I wonder what the max psi would be that a basic bicycle pump can dish out.....

treker8098

My bicycle pump is capable of well over 100 psi. I run about 110 to 115 psi on my road bicycle. The problem is that they are only designed for very little volume.

jtsgsxr6

I use a bike pump for adjustments at the track. You'll never see my try to seat beads or start from zero though. A couple PSI is really quick actually, a couple quick pumps and done.

DFlowe

I use a bicycle pump all the time. When I add air at the track, it's usually just a pound or two and that can be handled with just a few strokes with the bike pump. Then I check and fine tune the pressure with an accurate gauge.

I can leave the bike pump in my truck and it's no big deal. It needs no electricity, hose or attachments and its light weight. If you’re changing tubeless tires and need to seat them against the rim, it's a different story and I would recommend an air tank or compressor for that job. I take care of all of that at home before I leave and a simple hand operated pump is fine for what I need at the track.

noupf

DFlowe;129077 wrote: I use a bicycle pump all the time. When I add air at the track, it's usually just a pound or two and that can be handled with just a few strokes with the bike pump. Then I check and fine tune the pressure with an accurate gauge.

I can leave the bike pump in my truck and it's no big deal. It needs no electricity, hose or attachments and its light weight. If you’re changing tubeless tires and need to seat them against the rim, it's a different story and I would recommend an air tank or compressor for that job. I take care of all of that at home before I leave and a simple hand operated pump is fine for what I need at the track.
you pretty much summed up the reason why i asked the question. I dont plan on seating beads and such at the track. I'll take care of tire changes and such at home. However, a bicycle pump to add a few psi here or there seems like the perfect way to go.

Meat

I wouldn't think a bicycle pump would be accurate enough in the range of motorcycle race tire pressures. I quality bicycle pump goes to 140-180 psi and 1 psi isn't too big of a deal on a bicycle tire. Motorcycle track/race tires are generally between 22-34 psi, which is less than 20%.

I use a bicycle pump to air my tires up and a separate quality gauge to measure the pressure.

JRA

No matter what I used to air up the tire I would set my pressure with a separate gauge I know to be accurate.

749scott

I have always used a bike pump, even for my 4 wheeler, and i always check with a gauge after. Always works great for me!!:idea:

Pretty much everything that I would have said has already been said.

+1 for using my bicycle pump to adjust my motorcycle tire pressure. I use a separate, more accurate gauge to bleed it to the desired psi afterwards. I set my road bicycle's tire pressure to 90 psi, so yes, they can definitely handle 20-30psi.

-No electricity needed.
-Light, quick, and quiet.
-Takes up less room than an air compressor.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Bicycle pumps work fine, I prefer those inexpensive portable air tanks, a.k.a "air pigs". They're about 25 bucks, you fill 'em at the gas station or at home with a compressor, to about 100 psi. Plenty of air to add a few pounds as needed. Less energy! :D