VA speeding ticket - is this normal???

PJZOCC624

So, on our road trip back from Florida a couple weeks ago, I got a speeding ticket in Virginia (87 in a 70, apparently qualifies as "reckless driving"). A couple days ago, I started getting letters in the mail from law offices specializing in traffic tickets! I thought it kinda odd :notsure: and the wife thought it was tacky, but we wondered how they got my info? I figure since the ticket is technically a matter of public record, that the info was fairly "easy" to obtain. But how'd these yo-yo's get it so quickly?

BTW... anyone have any experience with THE MAN in Virginia? Should I take one of these lawyers up on their offer of service, or just plead guilty and take my lumps? (I don't know what the fine is yet, but I'm sure it's not gonna be cheap!) :doh:

fitz

Don't know about the legal system in VA but here in PA I apeal everything and usually win, (half the time the cop doesn't even show up). Not sure why you would need a lawyer for a ticket :dunno:

fitz

Buckeye96

Yeah. When I got a speeding ticket in NC, I got a bunch of lawyer letters in the mail.
I would appeal it. I know for residents in VA anything 20 over the speed limit OR 80mph is a reckless driving charge on top of everything else and leads to a whole bunch of a$$ pain and higher fines, including jail time.

I would definitely appeal.

slowpoke

I went through this a year ago and unfortunately if you show up without a lawyer, they are not going to do anything but find you guilty. In PA and NJ, I've had similar experience to Fitz, but not in VA.

The points from VA carry over to PA so I got a lawyer which cost me $400. By paying the lawyer, I avoided points and also did not have to show up in person. I don't know your insurance situation, but that charge will drive up your insurance. If you go w/ a lawyer, the court will also (more than likely) require proof of an "in-person" eight hour driving school otherwise you will still get the points.

shell015

Regardless of the posted speed limit, 80 MPH and over in VA is a reckless driving ticket if the cop decides to write it that way. I think they do have the option of writing it for speeding (10-19 MPH infaction), but most will write it as reckless since it's more $$$ in fines. You're likely right about the lawyers getting your info from public records. I think anyone can pay a fee to the state to get real-time access to all public records instead of having to go to the courthouse and looking it up. You can find your own ticket and cost by searching here http://www.courts.state.va.us/caseinfo/home.html by looking under General District Courts and Case Information. You'll search by county and by your name. If you can pre-pay, it'll say so and the $$$ you owe. If pre-pay isn't an option, it probably means you have to appear in person. If so, you may want to try one of those law firms you're getting in the mail. Check them out with the BBB to make sure it's a reputable firm.

Good luck!

VA is notorious with the "recklass driving" charge. I hated riding their when I lived in the DC metro area.

Follow slowpokes advice as VA shows no mercy.

BZ

PJZOCC624

fitz;187317 wrote: Don't know about the legal system in VA but here in PA I apeal everything and usually win, (half the time the cop doesn't even show up). Not sure why you would need a lawyer for a ticket :dunno:

fitz
I don't feel like driving back to VA on June 2nd for the court date, so my only option(s) would be to plead GUILTY or hire a lawyer to take care of it.

slowpoke;187321 wrote:
The points from VA carry over to PA so I got a lawyer which cost me $400. By paying the lawyer, I avoided points and also did not have to show up in person. .
Do you remember where your ticket was and your attorney? (PM me if you do)

shell015;187325 wrote:
Regardless of the posted speed limit, 80 MPH and over in VA is a reckless driving ticket if the cop decides to write it that way. I think they do have the option of writing it for speeding (10-19 MPH infaction), but most will write it as reckless since it's more $$$ in fines. You're likely right about the lawyers getting your info from public records. I think anyone can pay a fee to the state to get real-time access to all public records instead of having to go to the courthouse and looking it up. You can find your own ticket and cost by searching here http://www.courts.state.va.us/caseinfo/home.html by looking under General District Courts and Case Information. You'll search by county and by your name. If you can pre-pay, it'll say so and the $$$ you owe. If pre-pay isn't an option, it probably means you have to appear in person. If so, you may want to try one of those law firms you're getting in the mail. Check them out with the BBB to make sure it's a reputable firm.

Good luck!
Thanks for that link. I'll check it out when I get home (ticket is in my office)

borislav

Control Rider
DO NOT plead guilty!!!
Get a lawyer,it may cost you initialy a little bit more but a LOT less than if you plead guilty and you have to pay full amount of fines and when your insurance find out they will F..k you hard!Bastards!!!

YamaR6

Never plead guilty, plead not guilty if you can make it back for the date you have to be there. I got pulled over in NJ doing 90 in a 65 pled not guilty showed up, before everything started they had me talk to the ass. DA or who ever he was he said if i pled guilty they will drop it to 9 mph over the limit instead if 25. Huge break!! If you plead guilty the will probably just get you for the max which probably wont be to cheap. Just my .02

fitz

Oh and TOTAL BS!

Put the speed limit at 70mph and if you get caught coasting down a hill going 80 you're driving reckless with ridiculous fines and points etc...

We need a better legal system like they have in Mexico, just make a small "donation" and you're done.

fitz

shell015

YamaR6;187342 wrote: Never plead guilty, plead not guilty if you can make it back for the date you have to be there. I got pulled over in NJ doing 90 in a 65 pled not guilty showed up, before everything started they had me talk to the ass. DA or who ever he was he said if i pled guilty they will drop it to 9 mph over the limit instead if 25. Huge break!! If you plead guilty the will probably just get you for the max which probably wont be to cheap. Just my .02
I agree. I never understand why so many people show up to court and when the judge asks, "how do you plea" and the person answers "guilty". At that point, the judge has no option other than to accept your plea and fine you according to what the ticket was issued. ALWAYS PLEAD "NOT GUILTY" if you show up to court or have an attorney represent you. Once you plead "not guilty", the judge will ask for your's and the cop's testimony. Based on what the judge hears, he'll then determine if you are guilty or not guilty. If you were very cordial to the LEO when he was issuing the ticket, mention it in your testimony. The LEO will confim how you cooperated in a nice way and might make the judge more lienient by reducing the charge or doing something different, like taking it under advisement for 6-12 months, and/or sentence you to DIP (Driver Improvement Program; yes, they call it "DIP" class for a reason!) or drop the charges all together.

No, I'm not an attorney, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. I've just learned from my own trips to court to face the judge....

PJZOCC624

Yeah, not a chance in blazing hell I'm driving 8 hrs one way to go to the court date. I'll lawyer up. I was polite to the officer who pulled me over. He was driving a new Charger and caught me pretty quickly - I told the cop "That's a slick ride!" He smiled and said "It's got great pick-up"... I'd have to agree.

gkotlin

I got a ticket after leaving Road America last year. I thought of the best line as the officer walked away. I should have said. "Officer, really, I was doing 75?" "It didn't feel like 75 to me." "I was just doing 175 30 minutes ago, maybe my perception was off." My mind was telling me I was doing 100 under, not 10 over."

erick1670

gkotlin;187369 wrote: I thought of the best line as the officer walked away. I should have said. "Officer, really, I was doing 75?" "It didn't feel like 75 to me." "I was just doing 175 30 minutes ago, maybe my perception was off." My mind was telling me I was doing 100 under, not 10 over."
You should have said it.... :D

because that`s how my brain precepts the speeds when I am driving after my track days....

Mikey75702

I had the same thing happen in NC... drove down there, went to court and only got charged for 9mph over... all together it was only one point and like $120.

If your not willing to go back, get the lawyer.

JGardy_781

I've lived in VA for over decade now, down from CNY as a kid - the over-80 reckless thing here is pretty serious, and it's not discretionary, where in most other jurisdictions you can be cited for a speeding ticket, but not be perceived to be "reckless" per se; here the two are linked as part of definition in state law.

Had a 55/60-year old friend of a friend I was riding with down to VIR for AMA races years ago - he had PA tags on a pretty sedate BMW K-bike, and was the first in line of 4 of us on a rural 2-lane doing over 80 heading south... He was lit up and cited, the rest of us were let go with a warning. The friend of a friend tried to write in a guilty plea from PA and move on, but the local court in southern VA forced him to appear and beyond the fine and points, due to his perceived "attitude" during the hearing, the judge gave him community service the court required local performance on... He spent a few weekends against his will in southern VA.

Get yourself a good ol' boy lawyer local to where the cite was written...

/j

RADAR Magnet

Reckless can't be prepaid; get a lawyer local to the jurisdiction so you can maximize the benefit of the good ol' boys network.

slowpoke

^^:agree:

Mikey75702;187383 wrote: I had the same thing happen in NC... drove down there, went to court and only got charged for 9mph over... all together it was only one point and like $120.

If your not willing to go back, get the lawyer.
Don't drive down there to plead not guilty w/out a lawyer. And don't drive down (or try to call) thinking the DA will cut you some slack. This works in many other states, but this approach will do nothing in VA and it might even make it worse.

Local lawyer is the move if you want to reduce or eliminate the points.