Video from Sunday Oct 16th CMP novice session #2

Rich

Anyone capture video during novice session #2 at CMP from Sunday October 16th? I crashed in turn 6 and would like to learn more. Coaches and riders behind me were great to share what they saw, I just would like to see video if available.

Thanks in advance,
-Rich

#200 2007 GSXR 750

Ascent

I was riding with my old gopro 3 which the batteries only lasted about 1.5 sessions and didn't realize I needed to change after every session till the afternoon. So session 2 was the only one I had no video from due to dead battery. Also don't remember seeing a crash there. Otherwise id send you what i have. Hope you're alright though!

It did look like most issues or crashes happened in the morning sessions. I read some good advice somewhere, to treat the first lap with cold tires, and most of the cold morning sessions, like they are in the wet.

Rich

Thanks for checking @Ascent, I had acute concussion, broken left thumb, and separated right shoulder. Both require surgery (thumb completed Monday) but overall I feel good and optimistic about full recovery.

100% agree on the cold tires and likely I asked too much of the front, although I didn’t feel like I was pushing it. Also, I don’t remember the incident so will take what I was told and learn for the next.

-Rich

Rich

Dunlop slicks, medium front soft rear and STG single temp warmers.

First two laps of session two were still yellow and quite slow, kept thinking to myself that I’m essentially on cold tires now. This was lap 3 as I recall and getting ready for some point to pass. Last I remember was passing a bike between 3 and 4 and heading off to the carousel still thinking take it easy. Pass was more evasive, the bike as I recall was way wide in three and slow to the point it was easy pass once we were straight up and down. Kick myself for not wiring up the gopro, I almost always run it on the bike, another lesson I won’t soon forget.

BTW @bmart I still have the 2000 R6, what a great vintage :)

bmart

Control Rider
Sorry to hear about your list of injuries. Cold tire crashes stink.

Excellent work on keeping the older R6 alive! Hopefully see you in 2023.

MK3Brent

Treebeard

First two laps of session two were still yellow and quite slow, kept thinking to myself that I’m essentially on cold tires now. This was lap 3 as I recall and getting ready for some point to pass. Last I remember was passing a bike between 3 and 4 and heading off to the carousel still thinking take it easy. Pass was more evasive, the bike as I recall was way wide in three and slow to the point it was easy pass once we were straight up and down. Kick myself for not wiring up the gopro, I almost always run it on the bike, another lesson I won’t soon forget.

BTW @bmart I still have the 2000 R6, what a great vintage :)
Ah man, this sucks.
I'm running these slicks next weekend.
Did you lose the front on the brakes/lean?
Also, what were your air pressures hot on the warmers?
Hope you heal well.

rpm894

I would guess that you are not fast enough at a novice pace to keep heat in a front slick, particularly in a cold morning. I was there—and at several other cold trackdays this year—in the slow end of advanced on Dunlop slicks. I come off the track with less heat and less PSI in the front than I have off the warmers when it's that cold out. If the track is cold, it steals the heat faster than you can generate it, and slicks don't work without lots of heat like a street tire can. You were never going to get those tires back up to proper temperature if they cooled. Buy a set of Q4s.

I broke my wrist last year the first time I ran Dunlop slicks and lost the rear, probably because I was an idiot and used Q4 air pressures. I wasn't good enough to realize the rear wasn't working correctly.

Rich

Ah man, this sucks.
I'm running these slicks next weekend.
Did you lose the front on the brakes/lean?
Also, what were your air pressures hot on the warmers?
Hope you heal well.
@MK3Brent, I don’t remember the incident, so not sure what part of the turn the front let go. Pressures were set at 34 fr, 24 rear hot. After session 1 (all yellow) pressures were 28 fr 22 rear, so I was aware of temp loss. Back on warmers and they came back go 34, 24, but I lowered rear to 22. As @rpm894 stated, clearly these were cold after the two slow laps and just a lesson learned when It’s cold and pace is down.

I’ve run intermediate with another group (PRE) for past year and a half. Novice with N2 since schedules never seem to align. With this bike and tire combination, I was getting into the 1:47 - 1:50 range at CMP earlier this year. Not sure where that stacks up but rough video time code tracking shows that’s been my pace.

Appreciate the feedback and agree Q4 a good choice for return once I get back to it.

bossman2022

I was in intermediate at that event and just changed over from Michelin Power GP to Power Cup 2 tires, both of which I ran with tire warmers but those tires maintain heat better as they can be run without warmers. I have shied away from slicks because from the coaching I have had so far (Corey Anderson with MOC and just before N2 I did champ school), everyone told me to steer clear of slicks until I have the pace to maintain the temps because at slower paces (and colder mornings) the slower riders like myself just won't be able to maintain the heat and as others have said slicks don't work without heat. So I am sticking with the Power Cup 2 for now, or might try the Q4's next time. As much as I want to try slicks, I keep hearing stories of folks not fast enough going down on them.

As for the crash itself clearly I did not see it as I was in inter, but I did hear about it. Given it was in turn 6 (assuming that is the correct turn) that is the apex of the carousel between 5 and 7 before you head onto the back straight. For me on my S1000RR I made three apexes on that turn, one at 5, another at 6 and another at 7 coming onto the back straight, rather than riding a wider constant RPM around the turn. So more like V shape rather than a round corner. So for me, turn 6 requires some front trail braking application to tighten the apex (assuming I get it right lol). So I wonder if it was at the entry of 6, perhaps the tires were cold and you grabbed too much brake too quickly at the same time as trying to lean more. Or if it was on the exit of 6 perhaps you grabbed too much throttle at the same time as adding lean. Both of those can result in crashes.

If you have not done any champ school, I would highly recommend it. I learnt SO much from that class and I plan to take some more next year (maybe grad school class). But this video is totally worth watching and one of the first things we learned about in champ school. 100 points of grip! Simple concept, but can explain a lot of reasons folks crash.

Capture.PNG

bossman2022

BTW, for what it is worth, as I recall I heard that someone had crashed at turn 7, so that makes me think if it was at 6, it was likely at the exit of 6 heading to 7 and then the aftermath would have been at turn 7.

ElvisT

Thanks for checking @Ascent, I had acute concussion, broken left thumb, and separated right shoulder. Both require surgery (thumb completed Monday) but overall I feel good and optimistic about full recovery.

100% agree on the cold tires and likely I asked too much of the front, although I didn’t feel like I was pushing it. Also, I don’t remember the incident so will take what I was told and learn for the next.

-Rich

Happy that you are ok. I was ass packed on Saturday 15th Oct. on the front straight approaching T1. Fortunately I escaped without injuries, just a bruised forearm, a couple of knocks and a sore shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElvisT

Happy that you are ok. I was ass packed on Saturday 15th Oct. on the front straight approaching T1. Fortunately I escaped without injuries, just a bruised forearm, a couple of knocks and a sore shoulder.

Edit to my post, guess I got banged up in the head pretty badly . This was at NCBike on Oct 22nd!!