Want Q2. Tried Q2. Failed at Q2....now what?

avizpls

#11-A
I have always run Bridgestone BT003RS (street) as my TD tire. It got me thru B, and I just ordered another set to round out my year in I.

I tried running Q2's this year, but they were so much wider than the 'stones that the rear rubbed on the chain some. Nobody likes chain lube on thier tire, so I went back to the 'Stones. Sizes for both are 180/55.

Does Dunlop have a 170? How would the profile compare to the 180 Stones? I don't want it to be any narrower, but I think I might out-pace the Bridgestones soon. Its either Q2 or Pirelli TD slicks. Id like to run the Q2 if I can fit them!

A friend of ours has GSXR-7-11 and the Dunlops rub his chain too as they are wider at the base. On my old bike I ran a 170 and it looked like a old 180 in size. He uses Pirelli tires and dosent have the issue.

You can try the 170 and see what you think :)

BZ

DUNLOP-RTS

avizpls;208085 wrote: I have always run Bridgestone BT003RS (street) as my TD tire. It got me thru B, and I just ordered another set to round out my year in I.

I tried running Q2's this year, but they were so much wider than the 'stones that the rear rubbed on the chain some. Nobody likes chain lube on thier tire, so I went back to the 'Stones. Sizes for both are 180/55.

Does Dunlop have a 170? How would the profile compare to the 180 Stones? I don't want it to be any narrower, but I think I might out-pace the Bridgestones soon. Its either Q2 or Pirelli TD slicks. Id like to run the Q2 if I can fit them!
What bike?

What rim size?

If its a 5.5 then a 180/55 Q2 should be fine. IF it just barley kisses the chain, its nothing to be overly concerned about. Chains flap around sometimes, maybe it too loose.

The performance increase of the Q2 should outweigh any small kiss of the chain. there is no performance issue if just kisses.

avizpls

#11-A
That's what I initially thought. It actually takes small notches out though. I'm away for the weekend, but when ingot home I'll post a picture of the tire that saw 1 day of use.

Bike is a 1994 ducati monster 900 with a 5.5" wheel.

I'll check back in when I have a picture, thanks!

bmart

Control Rider
Steve knows best, but you may also want to be sure of real wheel alignment. If it is that close, the rear may be steering a little to the left.

avizpls

#11-A
What knd of handling characteristics can I expect in going from my 180 to a 170. gotta be honest, on the surface I don't like the idea of going to a "smaller" tire

betarace

Well since the bike was designed for a 170 and shipped with them stock, I would say faster turn in charm the 180s.

BigBird;208357 wrote: Ever seen the tires on a 125 or 250cc? I think they go around the track pretty quickly....
:agree: LOL! Those skinny tires stick like glue, but they are race slicks.

Avis, try the 170. that is what I ran on the VFR when I had it as my track bike and never had any issues.

BZ

avizpls

#11-A
Ok next year i'll run them. I just got another set of my 180 'stones for the rest of this year. Thanks guys

avizpls

#11-A
Actually, I think the 170s were for monsters with 5" wheels....

Anyways, here is the pic of what happened with. 180 q2 and my 180 stone as it is now.

NR2fMzc

u2OSNpk

alocker

Its hard to tell, but the clearance looks ok in the the pic BUT, I would not run it if its taking chunks out of the tire. Get one with the proper clearance.

nk140

alocker;208498 wrote: Its hard to tell, but the clearance looks ok in the the pic BUT, I would not run it if its taking chunks out of the tire. Get one with the proper clearance.
Second pic is with the 'Stones if I read his post correctly.

avizpls

#11-A
right. Which is why it was subsequently removed.

I still dont fully understand why I can run any other manufacturers 180 (and ive never had anything BUT 180/55 on it), but with the Q2....well its the wrong size tire now. I mean....look at the healthy gap on the tire thats mounted now. So that and then some is the difference to the Q2??? I wouldn't say those two tires are the same size at all.

BigBird

yeah i did see that...dunlop is weird like that. the 209/211s are available only in 190 and they fit 5.5" rims great. the Q2s are 180 and are wider than the rest.

all i know is that the Q2s are a very good tire and worth getting when you switch tires again. (well at my slow pace anyway)