Want Q2. Tried Q2. Failed at Q2....now what?

DUNLOP-RTS

How much slop does the chain have? if its a loose chain (side to side) it will flap and touch the tire.

You need to get over the idea that there is a problem with the sizing of the Q2. There is no issue with that. every manufacture has a window of width that they can call a 180/55. Not all 180/55 are created with equal dimensions. The most important factor is what rim was it designed to go on. Since the 180//5 Q2 was designed to go on a 5.5 rim, then you have the right tire for that rim.

If your specific bike model has tolerances that are different than the majority of other sportbikes, you will need to overcome that.

To overcome the issue I would start addressing it by making sure the chain does no have too much side to side play. If so replace the chain accordingly. Then install the 180/55 and ride it (even if just on a back road) to see if it still engages the tire. If it still engages the tire, go to the 170/60x17 Q2, Dunlop part # 32SM-53.
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=108

That should solve the problem.

I would encourage you to try to get the 180/55 to work, as it is a better performing tire for that bike size. Keeping in mind that an occasional tap of the tire is not going to be a problem. Supermoto rider regularly have the chain slap the tire without issue (as long as it not rubbing while static)

avizpls

#11-A
Well, I guess thats about that huh? I did try to get the 180 to work, and I did! Its just called a Bridgestone. I'll just stick with them since I agree its a better tire size for my bike, but obviously the Q2's are at the wider end of the window of width that can be called a 180/55

I dont know if you noticed the picture....are those "taps" to you? That was from about 30 minutes worth of riding. New chain, normal side-to-side movement. It almost seems like youre trying to talk me into just getting along with that.....no way.

DUNLOP-RTS

avizpls;209543 wrote: Well, I guess thats about that huh? I did try to get the 180 to work, and I did! Its just called a Bridgestone. I'll just stick with them since I agree its a better tire size for my bike, but obviously the Q2's are at the wider end of the window of width that can be called a 180/55

I dont know if you noticed the picture....are those "taps" to you? That was from about 30 minutes worth of riding. New chain, normal side-to-side movement. It almost seems like youre trying to talk me into just getting along with that.....no way.
I saw the pic. The "Tap" is a bit excessive. I would not consider that a "Tap", it is more than that.

I am not trying to get you to compromise. Just want to look at all the options. My first impressions were that the chain is sloppy side to side. IF you have ruled that out, fine.

Not trying to blow you off at all, I'm trying to help. I just have never hear of this complaint on a 5.5 rim bike with the Q2 180/55. Obviously your bike has a tighter clearance than others.

IF the Bridgestone works best for you, then by all means use what you are comfortable with. If you want to give the Q2 170/55 a shot, please let me know how it worked on your bike, I am interested in knowing.

also what chain are you using?

avizpls

#11-A
Its a renthal chain. Renthal - 520 R4 SRS Road Race Chain.

They are a pain in the butt to get, but Im going to start looking for the race version of the Bridgestones Im on.

Dont think you were blowing me off at all, just unfortunately this bike doesnt want to play with these tires!