WERA @ Pitt Race July 15-17th

ekraft84

Thank you to everyone involved, for putting on this event. Rob, Will, Aaron, Scott and many others I'm surely missing. Our entire team had a great time. Sure, doing well always helps, but the organization, competitiveness and fun factor were stand-out factors we all noticed and appreciated.

Certainly looking forward to future events!

mpusch

Micah
Monday at 17:43 and that's best banter and poop talking out there, one gracious winner? I might need to get a race license for next year just to talk smack.

Do it! I had a blast all weekend helping a team for the endurance, the trackday and my first races. Unfortunately I crashed out of my first one... But still a great weekend. Can't wait for next year.

rhill

What a great weekend! Our endurance team (Misfit Racing) struggled through mechanical issues, an off track excursion and a couple offs, but we were still going strong when the endurance race came to an end. I'm really proud of how we gelled as a team to get the bike repaired(mechanical) and back on track....then repaired and back on track again after a crash.

Start

Red flag crash

Restart

Misfits first ever pit stop....rear stand slipped off a spool and the dry break stopped flowing, but we still got through it in 50 stopped seconds....not too shabby guys!

After the rider change, the mechanical issue really started to show its ugly face. The swing arm was impacting the shift linkage. With me being roughly 60lbs heavier than Mike (our first rider)....more swing arm travel=more impacting the shift linkage=more missed shifts.

No more video, but the story continues:

Just after the video ends, the clutch stopped disengaging entirely. If that wasn't enough, the brake lever went back to the bar in T7, so I ran off track. Tried to get the bike moving, but with no clutch, no brake, and riders rounding the track at pace; decided to lean it up against the tire wall. Walking away from the bike had to be one of the most frustrating things I've ever done. Amazingly, in the time it took to get behind the barrier and pull my helmet off, Marty and the crash trailer appeared. Marty was kind enough to give me a drink and the ATV driver did an AMAZING job getting us safely back to pit lane.

After getting back to pit, we fixed the brakes and thought we had the clutch issue sorted through adjustment. The next rider went out and came back in a lap; the clutch issue was recurring. We pulled the spare engine out of the trailer and brought it down to change the clutch out. Pulled the covers out to find the clutch cover had broken. There is an internal embossment that holds the clutch actuator rod.....well that broke; causing the clutch lever to do nothing.

Swapped covers, buttoned it up and sent Dan back on track. He turned a couple laps, just to loose a peg and go down early in old T8. Think everyone on the team had a big sigh of relief when he popped up from behind the bike.

Crash trailer appeared in the blink of an eye and had the bike back in pit lane. As we pushed the bike back into pit, the WERA official observing said "when you guys are ready, get one of us retech the bike." I replied "I'm doubting we go back out after this one". I was spent and was giving up.

After we got back to the pit, no one stopped; we immediately started diagnosing what it was going to take to get back on track. The energy was infectious, because I forgot what I had just told the official seconds before. With a new clip on, duct tape, zip ties, and a few parts robbed from a street triple; Brandon was off and rolling to finish the race. After his ~45 minute run to the checker, we realized the bike was VERY hot.(hence the fans in the group photo)

Want to thank the Misfits and everyone involved with WERA, N2, all the teams out there, the friends and family that came out to support & spectate, PIRC, the corner workers.....literally everyone who was out there. It was a struggle and we finished 50 laps down, but I'm proud to be part of the Misfits!

13692550_10100191788816118_7379070366433007582_n.jpg

ekraft84

Monday at 17:43 and that's best banter and poop talking out there, one gracious winner? I might need to get a race license for next year just to talk smack.

I'm sure if Sam (Fleming) writes a piece in RRW about this event, he'll fire a few shots at us. :D

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Sorry Tom.

Thanks to everyone who helped organize and competed in the event. It was a lot of fun and learned a lot about endurance Racing, which is the same yet way different than sprints.

Pretty impressed with my fellow CRs as well as we took trophies in every class. Next time we'll be faster as long as we can keep those pesky liter bikes from checking us up in the corners. :D

Motofun352

Control Rider
What a great weekend! Our endurance team (Misfit Racing) struggled through mechanical issues, an off track excursion and a couple offs, but we were still going strong when the endurance race came to an end.
We pitted next to you guys. Your perseverance was awesome!

ekraft84

Here's some behind the scenes footage from the Steel City Superbike Challenge. Morning pit stop practice and later running out of gas in the first stint of the 4-hour race. I'm scrambling to get ready as Taylor is forced to come in ahead of schedule.

Thanks.

borislav

Control Rider
What a great weekend! Our endurance team (Misfit Racing) struggled through mechanical issues, an off track excursion and a couple offs, but we were still going strong when the endurance race came to an end. I'm really proud of how we gelled as a team to get the bike repaired(mechanical) and back on track....then repaired and back on track again after a crash.

Start

Red flag crash

Restart

Misfits first ever pit stop....rear stand slipped off a spool and the dry break stopped flowing, but we still got through it in 50 stopped seconds....not too shabby guys!

After the rider change, the mechanical issue really started to show its ugly face. The swing arm was impacting the shift linkage. With me being roughly 60lbs heavier than Mike (our first rider)....more swing arm travel=more impacting the shift linkage=more missed shifts.

No more video, but the story continues:

Just after the video ends, the clutch stopped disengaging entirely. If that wasn't enough, the brake lever went back to the bar in T7, so I ran off track. Tried to get the bike moving, but with no clutch, no brake, and riders rounding the track at pace; decided to lean it up against the tire wall. Walking away from the bike had to be one of the most frustrating things I've ever done. Amazingly, in the time it took to get behind the barrier and pull my helmet off, Marty and the crash trailer appeared. Marty was kind enough to give me a drink and the ATV driver did an AMAZING job getting us safely back to pit lane.

After getting back to pit, we fixed the brakes and thought we had the clutch issue sorted through adjustment. The next rider went out and came back in a lap; the clutch issue was recurring. We pulled the spare engine out of the trailer and brought it down to change the clutch out. Pulled the covers out to find the clutch cover had broken. There is an internal embossment that holds the clutch actuator rod.....well that broke; causing the clutch lever to do nothing.

Swapped covers, buttoned it up and sent Dan back on track. He turned a couple laps, just to loose a peg and go down early in old T8. Think everyone on the team had a big sigh of relief when he popped up from behind the bike.

Crash trailer appeared in the blink of an eye and had the bike back in pit lane. As we pushed the bike back into pit, the WERA official observing said "when you guys are ready, get one of us retech the bike." I replied "I'm doubting we go back out after this one". I was spent and was giving up.

After we got back to the pit, no one stopped; we immediately started diagnosing what it was going to take to get back on track. The energy was infectious, because I forgot what I had just told the official seconds before. With a new clip on, duct tape, zip ties, and a few parts robbed from a street triple; Brandon was off and rolling to finish the race. After his ~45 minute run to the checker, we realized the bike was VERY hot.(hence the fans in the group photo)

Want to thank the Misfits and everyone involved with WERA, N2, all the teams out there, the friends and family that came out to support & spectate, PIRC, the corner workers.....literally everyone who was out there. It was a struggle and we finished 50 laps down, but I'm proud to be part of the Misfits!

I was pitted next to you at last Pitt N2 event when you changed that motor on Saturday. Sorry to hear about all those issues you were having with that (same) motor, if I remember correctly that thing gave you hard time from the get go!?
I have to commend and take my hat down to you guys for not giving up!:like:

tomseviltwin

Control Rider
What a great weekend! Our endurance team (Misfit Racing) struggled through mechanical issues, an off track excursion and a couple offs, but we were still going strong when the endurance race came to an end. I'm really proud of how we gelled as a team to get the bike repaired(mechanical) and back on track'

Nice vids! Some cool shots in those. Very cool to hear your race write up too... Intense!

Awesome race put on by both WERA and N2, it was fantastic to be a part of. I wish we could have had a chance to ride the bike and the track more before the event and also figure out that tire change, but man we had fun anyway. Found two more seconds on Sunday and I think I still have a few easy seconds in me for next time.... Looking forward to next year's series!!

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Is there somewhere that the race results have been posted? I thought RRW would have had a news article or something, but no.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Looks like it was a lot of fun! Sorry I had to miss it. Hopefully I'll make the next one. To spectate/help in the pits, not race, LOL.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Chasing Sloan around the track:

Chasing fellow CR Randy:

Figured out where I was really gaining time and was running flat 50's by my 3rd sprint. After going over my videos, getting into the 49's shouldn't be a problem. Till next time... :D