What's on your packing list for track days?

I looked around but didn't see a post on this though I am sure it has been asked. So apologies.

What have you found an absolute must to take to the track? Good to have? Luxury?

It is not my intention to have every part for every conceivable scenario. If I crash I'm probably done. But aside from something catastrophic what makes for a good list?

Tow on open trailer or is it better to put the bike in the bed?

I'd like to know what has worked out well for you guys.

Thanks,

Reg

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Hi Reg, read through this thread, and the other links mentioned in it: http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=12169

I personally would prefer an open trailer over loading a bike in the truck bed, but that's because I'm short and I can't do that myself. A landscape trailer with a drop-down gate makes it easy to load/unload yourself. It depends...do you have a place to store a trailer? The tolls will be higher, too. However, there's always tons of folks willing to help out with anything, just ask!

As far as spares...extra footpeg, shift/brake toepegs, clipon, levers. That would be the basics that would let you get back out after a minor incident.

Don't forget to bring your bike key!! An air tank and air pressure gauges are on my have to have list, as well as some basic tools, including anything you'd need to remove wheels. Some bikes have odd-sized axle nuts, so someone at the track may not have them.
Bring an extra 5 gallons of gas, and have your bike's tank full. Bring a chair, and a canopy. You really don't want to sit out in the sun all day. Also, a cooler full of bottled water and gatoraid. And sunscreen!

Edit: Haha, Jim beat me to the above thread! It's a good read!

Thanks, I knew the question had of been asked. Didn't expect for it to be so recent. Got to get better at using this site's search engine. I kept getting "no match" returned.

Again, thanks.

Reg

jsin38

Don't forget the high energy and low bulk food. I take grape tomatoes, almonds, protein bars, V8 juice, and water. All about keeping the brain and body working together.

One trick I do is to up the air pressure in my tires to about 35 psi before loading the bike and then bleed it down to a level more suitable for the air/track temperature after the riders meeting.

Zippy

Instead of an air tank, just a bicycle pump will do fine. It's lighter and easier to store. A landscape trailer will do nicely, but the perforated gate will kill your gas mileage.

Zippy;118351 wrote: A landscape trailer will do nicely, but the perforated gate will kill your gas mileage.
My tow vehicle is a F350 crew dually diesel with an 8' bed. It doesn't feel my trailer. So my poor mileage won't change. Is that bad or good?:notsure:

Reg

Joe Vital

Reg,
Are you riding your VFR? If so I would recommend a bringing a crane to pick it up should it fall over...

('04 VTEC owner, 45k miles-not my trackbike)

jcrich

My number 1 thing is my leathers. :D

True story. A couple of years ago we are on our way to Road Atlanta, about 70 miles down the road, I blurt out " I did not put my ^$%%^$ leathers in the trailer".
Sheepishly I call my wife on the cell phone and say " Hey hon could you go down to the basement and see if my leathers are still there"? Sure enough they are. I need you to put them in a box and overnight FedEx them to the hotel. ( Not cheap by the way). Fortunately one of my friends is about the same size so we alternated wearing his leathers in the morning until lunch time when I went t the hotel and picked up my suit. Sheesh.

Going to learn. Not to race. Need a different bike for that. Although I do have my eye on the 1000RR in RWB paint scheme. Would nicely round out the German stable. ;)