What Dunlop tires are available for track days?

DUNLOP-RTS

Dunlop currently has 4 usable tire choices for track days -

Q2
D211GPA
D211GP
N-Tec slicks.

Q2 is the top of the line sport/street tire. Excellent for street riding. You can use it for your first couple of track rides, but the moment you start to get with the program you will want to step up.

The D211GPA
is the spec tire for the AMA. it is lower cost, and is a great all around tire. The AMA guys are right on the track record with this tire and there is no reason you can't go very fast on it. Use the Med front and rear compounds for track days.

The D211GP
UK N-Tec, this tire will cost you more, about $125 more than D211GPA. It is good for about 0.5 seconds per lap faster than the D211GPA (depending on the track, may be less at some tracks). This tire will last longer than the D211GPA and you will get more competitive laps from this tire. The increased cost is about the same as the increase in laps. Its a toss up if you are looking at the laps/cost issue. you need to try them both to determine on your bike which is the best bang for the buck.

The N-Tec Slicks.
Top of the line. Nothing available is better, and I mean NOTHING IS BETTER. This tire will last longer and grip better, for more laps, than anything available.

All these tires are great choices for track days. You can't go wrong with any of them. I recommend to start at the top (Q2 or D211GPA) and if you like it stay with it. If you desire more as a rider, then step up to the next tire.

BTW: the lower 3 tires have the N-Tec construction, the D211GPA does not use the name N-Tec, but is still the N-Tec construction.

Beginner groups: I would stick to the D211GPA and keep it simple. Put in lots of laps.

CDanielSV650

Do I need to pre-order before my track day? I have an SV650 with a 160 rear. I know it's not the most popular size. At the last track day qualifiars were only available in that size. I don't know if the track day vendor ran out of the other tires or if only qualifiers are normally carried in that size.

Thanks,
Casey

Mikey75702

Casey, it probably depends on where you are. If you are in the mid Atlantic, shoot Colin an email... if you are in the southeast, shoot chuck from performance cycleworx one.... if you are in the Midwest, I am not sure who is doing tires... I think I read the trackdaystore is, but it might be turn one... the vendor for your area would be able to answer the question on stock better then the dunlop rep.

Hitman954

Mikey75702;189414 wrote: if you are in the Midwest, I am not sure who is doing tires... I think I read the trackdaystore is, but it might be turn one... the vendor for your area would be able to answer the question on stock better then the dunlop rep.
In the Midwest it would be the Trackdaystore. You can contact Brian or I and we can get you taken care of. No matter where you are at I would preorder, esspecially that size. -Brent

DUNLOP-RTS

CDanielSV650;189409 wrote: Do I need to pre-order before my track day? I have an SV650 with a 160 rear. I know it's not the most popular size. At the last track day qualifiars were only available in that size. I don't know if the track day vendor ran out of the other tires or if only qualifiers are normally carried in that size.

Thanks,
Casey
Right now you should run the Q2 on your SV650. The track day store has these.

http://www.trackdaystore.com/

CDanielSV650

Thanks

Sorry, should have specified I'm in Mid-Atlantic Region. Is the Q2 the only tire available in a 160 rear? I'm looking at getting my race license and you know what that leads to....

Thanks,
Casey

DUNLOP-RTS

CDanielSV650;190717 wrote: Sorry, should have specified I'm in Mid-Atlantic Region. Is the Q2 the only tire available in a 160 rear? I'm looking at getting my race license and you know what that leads to....

Thanks,
Casey
Casey,

Right now the Q2 is your best option, especially for just starting out. As you get faster look to the 160 race tire. We will have them available in the coming weeks.

Have a great ride!

macop1104

CDanielSV650;189409 wrote: Do I need to pre-order before my track day? I have an SV650 with a 160 rear. I know it's not the most popular size. At the last track day qualifiars were only available in that size. I don't know if the track day vendor ran out of the other tires or if only qualifiers are normally carried in that size.

Thanks,
Casey
You don't have any choice but to run the Q2 in a 160 because there are no 160 D209s available, anywhere..... Club racers are scrounging around but none are available.
Another prime example of Dunlop UK not giving a rats ass about the US market. They are too busy making moto2/3 tires. You can put a 5.5 rim on your bike and use the 190 Dunlops or you can keep the 4.5 rim and jump ship to another brand.

rk97

Until you're on the podium in novice races, you don't need any more than the Q2 anyway.

I ran them (without warmers) and never got so much as a wiggle at a mid-pack novice pace. The only heat in them was from the warmup lap. I did push the front the weekend prior, but that was 100% my fault for abruptly chopping off the throttle and loading the front while at a pretty steep lean angle. Even then, getting back on the gas was enough to keep me upright.

I'll give something stickier a try next time I buy a new set of tires, but I have nothing but good things to say about the Q2; especially for ~$230 a set.