What is the difference in US vs UK

whitarnold

I have always ran Dunlop UK N-tec slicks. I just want to know the difference, pros and cons of the US. Maybe I can save some $ this season. I am just a A trackday guy on a 1000cc. Everyone know how long the UK's last and that is why I buy them. I am still looking for the best deal on new or takeoffs. I have friends that are interested also. We will all be at Barber in April and RA in July. I need schooled in the US slicks like I have been with the UK slicks. Also want to know about the Michelin cup slicks with the 200 rear?

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
How many days do you get out of a rear? I mean, I've heard nothing but awesome reviews about them, but for the price...they had better be freaking awesome!

HaVoC

I myself am a uk guy. I have tried the us slicks last summer.
The us do not heat cycle as well as the uk.
The uk front tire has more grip. But the us are getting better
And better. I know uk stuff and have confidence in them. Sometimes
It comes down to a head thing for some riders to have that confidence to push. It is for me.
Tire life depends on a few things- bike,track, compound, and how fast u are.i personally don't
Get much tire life as I ride a 1liter bike and I get around pretty well.
This is my own personal opinion.hope it helps.

JRA

You'll probably get lots of opinions on this topic. I personally really like the US tires and have run my fastest laps on the US rubber. They don't last as long as the UK tires do, and when you factor that in I think the price is roughly the same. The good thing about the US tires are that they are readily available in all of the different compounds. That's not always the case for the UK tires.

The bottom line is that at our level there is no difference in grip comparing equal compounds. Tire life, price, and availability are the real factors to consider IMO.

G2G

Never had any issue getting UK tires. If it works fo you don't chnge it. Worrying about a tire just fucks with ur head and you do not need the aggravation or issue while you are trying to concentrate on the track.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
I ran the US all last season and even tried the Pirelli at the end of the season. I've heard great things about the UK and I'm def going to try them this year.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
The rear's different on the US versus UK slicks.

The UK comes in a 190/60R and 120/70F

http://dunlopracing.com/tires-products/slicks/

The US Slick rear comes in 2 different sizes, both not as tall as the UK rear, and the US Front's a 125x80.

http://dunlopracing.com/tires-products/usa-n-tec-slicks/

I've tried both..and both are GREAT tires...to me the UK rear being taller took a little to adjust to because it felt like the bike was falling into the turns...the US rear slick gives a more neutral turn in feel. I really didn't notice anything drastic about the fronts being different under braking, etc.

Both US-UK tires gripped very well and lasted forever. I had like 10 days on a UK set that I took off that were still not done...and the US slicks I got like 8 days on them. I don't know that I HAD to switch tires..but I did..had it in my head that there was NO way a tire could last that long and still work like these were working.

Personally, I'm sold on the US slicks.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
HaVoC;267797 wrote: I myself am a uk guy. I have tried the us slicks last summer.
The us do not heat cycle as well as the uk.
The uk front tire has more grip. But the us are getting better
And better. I know uk stuff and have confidence in them. Sometimes
It comes down to a head thing for some riders to have that confidence to push. It is for me.
Tire life depends on a few things- bike,track, compound, and how fast u are.i personally don't
Get much tire life as I ride a 1liter bike and I get around pretty well.
This is my own personal opinion.hope it helps.
Hav, what compound are you running?

HaVoC

Vinny, Soft front & Med rear.

The us 200/55 and the uk 195/65 are only a mm of diffrence in height as well as the front.I ride a 1 ltr bike so i dont use the us 190/55.
the 200 us rear is more apples to apples to the 195 uk rear in terms of height. the 200 has a tiny bit more width. But like D-Zum stated
the 195 uk to 190 us there will be a significant diffrence in height. But the 200 us is a heavy tire for a 600.

ERB68

The US dunlops got better twice last summer.
The rears want to be lower in pressure to good grip. I ran them at 19 or 20psi hot and they stuck as well as the UK.

I can make a rear last 4/5 days if the track is not to rough like putnam. Putnam I could wear out a rear in a weekend.

D-Zum

ERB68;267883 wrote: The US dunlops got better twice last summer.
The rears want to be lower in pressure to good grip. I ran them at 19 or 20psi hot and they stuck as well as the UK.

I can make a rear last 4/5 days if the track is not to rough like putnam. Putnam I could wear out a rear in a weekend.
Eddie!!!!!!!

Going to come ride Barber in November? I'll bring you at least 2 cases of Yuengling Lager Buddy!!!!

ERB68

D-Zum;267884 wrote: Eddie!!!!!!!

Going to come ride Barber in November? I'll bring you at least 2 cases of Yuengling Lager Buddy!!!!
I would love to but I had a daughter and I will have to play it by ear for $$

D-Zum

ERB68;267886 wrote: I would love to but I had a daughter and I will have to play it by ear for $$
Congrats!

I have a boy now...he'll be 3 in June. He's a riot.

borislav

Control Rider
I used UK and US tires and at our pace only thing what I noticed is life span shorter on us tires (early 2011 211GPA and 2012 slick in medium compound) BUT at Road Atlanta in blazing heat medium slick worked like charm and every time I come of the track those tires looked awesome!Not to confuse you but there is many factors that are dictating tire life!
Second part of the last season I used US slick in 8477 compound which is Medium+ and according to Mr.Brubaker this tire is
as good as famous UK 6680 compound,but only comes in 200 rear!I love the tire and it last looong time,I will be using it until
they come up with something better!
Hope this helps!

noobinacan

Softer compound great for HOT days, better wear /grip on hot days.

I think it was just that the new tech to make ntec UK slick was now available in the US.
and hence the tire's produced here in the US at cheaper cost vs imported.

D-Zum

Oh..and a point we've all missed.

US made slicks keep people in Buffalo, NY employed rather than folks overseas.

matt2212

D-Zum;267897 wrote: Oh..and a point we've all missed.

US made slicks keep people in Buffalo, NY employed rather than folks overseas.
^^^^^^

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk