What's in your radiator?

bmart

Control Rider
I've been running water and a few cap fulls of Water Wetter for years but the last year or two are showing some pretty high temps (up to 213 running and 223 when I finally get to my canopy).

What do you guys run in your cooling systems?

What kind of temps do you normally see when rolling and when pitted?

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
I use Ice Water. It's what Livengood recommended, and it's Glycol free, so I stuck with it.

Have to say, I'm also seeing similar temps on one of my bikes this year. Usually when I'm actually "running" and take the time to glance at the temp, it's closer to 200. It's when I slow down (OK, OK, can I really go slower? I'll take that softball myself to prevent anybody else....) and particularly if I'm CR'ing and have to go sit on the grid that temps come up.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I'm still using Water Wetter (3-4 capfulls per quart of distilled water, as per the bottle directions) and haven't noticed any problems.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Never seen above 200 while out on track on any of my bikes. Depending on the day, man, sometimes those engines get HOT after heat soaking on pit lane after a red flag or whatnot. But I'm talking like mid July/August NCBIKE hot, at 10000% humidity and 100 degrees. Even on those days, as soon as I get back out on track, it cools right down. I have seen 215-220 on those really hot occasions where the bike sits for a bit. It usually gets hotter after I shut it off vs leaving it run with the fans blowing. Then again, I leave the fans in and haven't ever had a problem.

tdelegram

Control Rider
What's in my radiator?

Speed, hot nasty speed.

Water wetter and distilled water. A pressurized system is fine to go above 212 and not boil, the pressure allows the higher temps.

mpusch

Micah
Nothing but distilled water. The Daytonas don't have a temp reading in degrees, but even sitting on the paddock after a session in 80+F it stays right in the middle of the range.

Possible you have an air bubble?

bmart

Control Rider
Neither are impossible. It is set up like the other two but seems to run hotter. Maybe an air bubble. I do burp them when I change the coolant out.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Water wetter and distilled water. No problems on the track, depending on the temperature that day in the paddock I can see some temps around 210-220 the R1 gets hot.

Dom17

Intermediate Intermediate
As far as I know water wetter and distilled water is the best for heat transfer. The water wetter acts as a surfactant I believe and offers some corrosion resistance. As others have suggested if you are concerned you could have trapped air or be running lean. I believe engineers calculate the lubricity and viscosity of engine with the assumption that it will be around 212 degrees F and they design oil circulation systems around that. I do not have a source on hand for that though. I wouldn't be too concerned about your temperatures. Is your coolant overflow boiling? That is a big sign for trapped air.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mdhokie

"What's in your radiator?" -- right now, grass. Hopefully to be fixed soon.

20620782_10106001132633953_8365926046758390511_n.jpg

photo.php

bmart

Control Rider
"What kinda grass?" Did it run cooler after? Sorry about your mishap yesterday. I hope that you get the bike sorted soon and am glad that you seemed okay. I was the CR who came over on the Razor scooter to see how you were.

mdhokie

Yeah I was loving VIR, sad I didn't get to finish my track day. Was just learning the track and enjoying it a lot. I have some strawberries and bruises but nothing a couple ibuprofen couldn't fix. The bike might take a bit more work but it's mostly just handlebars, tank, and all the plastic and footpegs on the front and right side. Didn't leak a drop of oil, antifreeze, or brake fluid. Overall not bad considering I hit the deck at over 100mph. I hope to be back at VIR again next year.

1/4x crash video:

Last edited:

bmart

Control Rider
I can see you in the backdrop around 13 seconds in. That looks like a rough ride! Curious what front tire and cold pressure you were running. It looks like the front gave out/locked up under braking.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Yeah I was loving VIR, sad I didn't get to finish my track day. Was just learning the track and enjoying it a lot. I have some strawberries and bruises but nothing a couple ibuprofen couldn't fix. The bike might take a bit more work but it's mostly just handlebars, tank, and all the plastic and footpegs on the front and right side. Didn't leak a drop of oil, antifreeze, or brake fluid. Overall not bad considering I hit the deck at over 100mph. I hope to be back at VIR again next year.

Do you know what the cause of the crash was?